Artificial Intelligence Noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 15, 2023, 08:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: tiny_tove on December 26, 2023, 05:01:52 PMusing lots of gen AI in many aspects of my life (work, music, artwork). Not to do noise yet, except to treat some specific sounds and samples.
we all have been using AI simply if we owned Photoshop, etc. etc.
I would never let a machine decide the final work for me, yet I can ask its help if I need a specific element.

What do you mean for treating samples?  Do you just say "add reverb to X" or something?

tiny_tove

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 26, 2023, 09:53:33 PM
Quote from: tiny_tove on December 26, 2023, 05:01:52 PMusing lots of gen AI in many aspects of my life (work, music, artwork). Not to do noise yet, except to treat some specific sounds and samples.
I would never let a machine decide the final work for me, yet I can ask its help if I need a specific element.

What do you mean for treating samples?  Do you just say "add reverb to X" or something?

more like "create repetitive pattern, with metallic sounding percussion" , it then creates something similar (it tries to create something musical), I cut the part I need, reverse it and add my own stuff.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: tiny_tove on December 27, 2023, 12:33:47 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 26, 2023, 09:53:33 PM

more like "create repetitive pattern, with metallic sounding percussion" , it then creates something similar (it tries to create something musical), I cut the part I need, reverse it and add my own stuff.

That's pretty interesting.  I assumed that you have experimented with varying degrees of specificity in your prompt?  Does it seem to work better when you give it a lot of room to interpret or when you really dial in your goal?

Penon

WHile relative to other genres, I am not much worried about impact on noise and all sorts of "experimental" music which I guess would be the last to fall (after all it much easier to produce formula-based catchy pop using AI), but I occasionaly think about AI / next generation technology impact on music as an art more broadly.

It is not rocket science (even if a bit expensive still) to measure what sounds (pitch, frequency, notes, chords, patterns) your brain reacts most positively and produce bespoke tracks based on this. You can even have a menu for "sad", "angry", "uplifting" and "dreamy" based on your brain (or perhaps body/hormones) response to certain sounds.

Would "manual" music be nothing more than a niche hipster fetish for those who think old school is cool?
Minimum Sentence - UK Disquieting Electronics:
Youtube - Soundcloud - Bandcamp - Instagram

tiny_tove

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on December 27, 2023, 10:40:46 PMThat's pretty interesting.  I assumed that you have experimented with varying degrees of specificity in your prompt?  Does it seem to work better when you give it a lot of room to interpret or when you really dial in your goal?

as said, I work with ai for very small elements, mostly rythm oriented since I am crap at that. In this case, less is more is the solution. I am using an app called texttosample, when you give too much information is looses it and makes what it feels better. It's a musical application so I never write "harsh noise with feedback" since I have plenty of synths and devices to do so :) I am sure there are many AIs to do noise (probably in Max). Consider that "generative music" is nothing new and it has been around for over 30 years, since algorythms have been in use in the arts, they were not based on the same data models of today.

in my opinion, same as for images, whatever helps us to deliver the good is great, be it physical, analog, digital, generative, etc. sometimes all together. is a machine does great noise I wouldn't be against it, but I prefer to do my own stuff and keep buying gear. (no victim of gentrification, simply I have no other vices than music, so I spend most my money in that and video gear)
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0