good tape deck for dubbing releases?

Started by MS Paint, October 02, 2023, 01:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS Paint

curious what everyones using to dub their releases, i've been doing duplication.ca and NAC but id like to start dubbing my own on a deck to save some money - plus sometimes i dont need more than 15-25 of something.

i've heard nakamichi decks are the best but apparently hard to find parts for or get repaired if they break down and the 80s is a while ago now..

so alternatives would be welcome, im looking to spend about $300 and want something that makes good quality dubs and is comparatively easy to find parts for or get repaired.

Cementimental

Tape deck recommendations are kind of pointless in 2023 because the best tape deck is whatever randomly happens to be actually available in your part of the world in working order for a good price. So many variables that some random brand and model number that another noise person has used might not be one you will ever find, and might not necessarily be all that great anyway :D

Pretty much any hi-fi tape deck with manual input level control, from a non-budget brand, in working order, with the heads cleaned, is absolutely fine for dubbing noise tapes.

And if you do need recommendations or info, then some local hi-fi shop IRL full of aging hi-fi nerds is probably gonna more useful than random strangers on a noise board :)

Theodore

For less posible problems : Quartz locked, direct drive, gear instead of idler tire, single capstan.

For recording : A 3-head comes useful for monitoring and calibration purposes.

Any decent deck in condition to run in its specs will produce better dubs than duplication companies. With 300 you for sure can get a good one. A 20-20Khz frequency response and W&F around or below 0,05% and you are perfect -given it works in its specs- .
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

absurdexposition

Quote from: Theodore on October 03, 2023, 01:17:14 AMFor recording : A 3-head comes useful for monitoring and calibration purposes.

Yes, a 3-head deck with bias control and monitoring options goes a long way towards getting the best quality out of home dubs.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

MS Paint

i looked around at the three head decks i could afford in my price range that were serviced / had new belts etc and got a sony tc k677ES, thanks for the replies everyone!

Electro Surgeon

I bought a stack of the not so old Panasonic RDX45. I then make CD masters and record from CD onto tape. They are reliable and sound great.
INNERCITY UPRISING RECORDS
AUSTRALIAN NOISE AND PUNK

Stipsi

Quote from: absurdexposition on October 03, 2023, 03:51:44 AM
Quote from: Theodore on October 03, 2023, 01:17:14 AMFor recording : A 3-head comes useful for monitoring and calibration purposes.

Yes, a 3-head deck with bias control and monitoring options goes a long way towards getting the best quality out of home dubs.

Agree 100%.
Also for recording straight to tape they are perfect
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.