Victory Or Valhalla!

Started by StrikeFirst, October 15, 2023, 03:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StrikeFirst

No one has brought up this label other than in classified ads, does anyone know about it or have thoughts on it? Ties with PEAC might off put some listeners.

Almost every release is banned and extremely limited with a lot of newer releases less than 5 people say they have it on discogs, max collected being under 20.
Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better.

HateSermon

Yeah it always struck me as an instagram shock label. PEAC is pretty weak and people notice that. There are plenty of other ways for checking out "sketchy" PE/Noise that are worth mentioning.

StrikeFirst

Quote from: HateSermon on October 15, 2023, 06:13:22 AMPEAC is pretty weak and people notice that.

Listen to the first track in this album, youtube(dot)com/watch?v=RTPqjRuIo88 it's arguably better than some of your work.
Yeah I can agree somewhat in regard of it being extremely hit or miss with some people doing it terribly & people also not. Can't just dismiss every problematic project in a genre because some of them aren't as good as others.
Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better.

FreakAnimalFinland

I don't think people dismiss every problematic project. Sometimes it is obvious that release is merely designed "for the fans of..." -audience and if you are not that audience, then barely reasons to check them out?

Sometimes, if label boss, compilation curator or artists can't seem to differentiate between what is good and what is not, I would suppose it will have its results. That is valid criticism all around the scene.

Something such as Plantation, not bad. There is even releases on.. lets say, legit noise labels. I have distributed handful of them. Best stuff lives up to level people actually want the stuff.

One could assume people who like for example Brethren and Deathkey, might like many of bands from this "scene", but would there be some utterly remarkable album from there that stands next to monuments of power electronics or noise history? I do not know. At least I have not seen such things.

My own criticism is mostly that what "PEAC" refers to, RAC, appears so vastly different phenomena. It is like comparing online siege culture meme trolling with daily life revolutionary social movement. Edgy and sketchy semi-private releases fine with me. To get more praise from noise scene often requires that one just have to make really damn good noise.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Balor/SS1535

Aside from some of the releases sounding too digital to my ears, I have enjoyed various things associated with this label/broader scene.  AZAB has some great albums (especially his covers of a few metal tracks), Plantation is good, and the guy from Training Compound is a cool person to talk with (and a talented musician as well).

TheGreatestThreat

A lot of the PEAC artists are really solid (Plantation and Training Compound in particular I enjoy a lot), but the bad ones, even if they're only tangentially affiliated (BN comes to mind) are REALLY bad, and I can see why someone would dismiss that circle of people as a whole if they heard one of the bad ones on first exposure.

I get why people would dismiss them because of the imagery but the Plantation tape on fusty is still one of the sickest releases from that year

FallOfNature

I have enjoyed the Steel Law tapes I have heard

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: TheGreatestThreat on October 16, 2023, 08:05:58 AMA lot of the PEAC artists are really solid (Plantation and Training Compound in particular I enjoy a lot), but the bad ones, even if they're only tangentially affiliated (BN comes to mind) are REALLY bad, and I can see why someone would dismiss that circle of people as a whole if they heard one of the bad ones on first exposure.

I get why people would dismiss them because of the imagery but the Plantation tape on fusty is still one of the sickest releases from that year

I didn't realize that tape was on Fusty!  Or that he would release projects of that political persuasion...

impulse manslaughter

Never heard any of these projects before but that Plantation clip sounds nice.

aububs

OMM

There are decent projects, such as Plantation, Strike force, Steel law, Trigger, etc. Mostly driven by ideology more than by the noise quality or by releasing beautiful editions. If you reach out to them, it's because you know what you'll get.

TheGreatestThreat

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 16, 2023, 07:24:04 PM
Quote from: TheGreatestThreat on October 16, 2023, 08:05:58 AMA lot of the PEAC artists are really solid (Plantation and Training Compound in particular I enjoy a lot), but the bad ones, even if they're only tangentially affiliated (BN comes to mind) are REALLY bad, and I can see why someone would dismiss that circle of people as a whole if they heard one of the bad ones on first exposure.

I didn't realize that tape was on Fusty!  Or that he would release projects of that political persuasion...

There was some interview he did a few years ago where he basically said "i don't give a fuck what your beliefs are because they aren't mine, all that matters is if you make good art", so i'm not too too surprised between that and some of the other stuff he's put out over the years haha. That said, the tape he did for them is WAY more toned down than their usual fare in terms of explicit imagery and subject matter. It's also far and away my favorite Plantation release, so make of that what you will

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: TheGreatestThreat on October 16, 2023, 11:11:14 PM

There was some interview he did a few years ago where he basically said "i don't give a fuck what your beliefs are because they aren't mine, all that matters is if you make good art", so i'm not too too surprised between that and some of the other stuff he's put out over the years haha. That said, the tape he did for them is WAY more toned down than their usual fare in terms of explicit imagery and subject matter. It's also far and away my favorite Plantation release, so make of that what you will

It's not that I thought that Fusty was anti political noise (of either side), and more that I don't recall there being many overtly political projects on his roster?  Then again, I am no great expert on that label, and it's been a while since I last looked closely through his releases.

Do you have a link to the interview (assuming it's online)?

And yes, that Plantation was much less explicit than usual!  It makes me wonder how many people are unaware of just what sort of project they were adding to their collections!

TheGreatestThreat

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 17, 2023, 02:21:53 AM
Quote from: TheGreatestThreat on October 16, 2023, 11:11:14 PM

It's not that I thought that Fusty was anti political noise (of either side), and more that I don't recall there being many overtly political projects on his roster?  Then again, I am no great expert on that label, and it's been a while since I last looked closely through his releases.

Do you have a link to the interview (assuming it's online)?

And yes, that Plantation was much less explicit than usual!  It makes me wonder how many people are unaware of just what sort of project they were adding to their collections!

It can get pretty overt in its politics (that new Reaper release he did comes to mind especially) but it seems to be a slightly more recent thing? At least from what I've seen.

Also I found the interview, i didn't find the exact timestamp but the whole thing is really interesting anyways so it's worth a complete listen imo: https://archive.org/details/Episode4Deterge

I'm sure plenty of people had no idea (and probably still don't), for the best probably

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 17, 2023, 02:21:53 AMIt's not that I thought that Fusty was anti political noise (of either side), and more that I don't recall there being many overtly political projects on his roster?

Sarin Snow? Koufar? I would assume generally most good noise labels agree on noise. Plantation "Orion" tape, if you listen the tape (rip found from youtube if you don't have it), it should be no surprising at all that it qualified for tape release. On that release, content doesn't appear to be anything utterly unusual in category of power electronics. If assuming it was mostly bought by people into loud obnoxious noise-with-vocals contemporary PE, I'd suspect very few if anyone would have problem to own such tape, hah... Lets say, next to other loud and obnoxious tapes Fusty is known for.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net