Strom.ec appreciation

Started by BatteredStatesofEuphoria, July 15, 2024, 09:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BatteredStatesofEuphoria

Did a search through the archive and was rather surprised to see that Strom.ec had never got their own dedicated thread over the years.

This all spurred by pulling out "Divine Legions Beyond Psyche" for the first time in a while the other day and getting reacquainted with what a supremely magnificent album it is. I can't think if many, if any at all, power electronics releases that you can describe as having a "dystopian sci-fi" vibe like "Divine Legions..." gives. I remember seeing a thread on here during many years of lurking that mentioned the Strom.ec guys had taken a lot of inspiration from Soldnergeist, and you can definitely hear that. The "Global Media Control" album, in particular, might be the closest thing both thematically and sonically to "Divine Legions," but the latter is its own unique beast.

Knowing their appreciation of PK Dick might make it obvious, but sitting back and getting submerged in the sound really does make it feel at times like you're in some kind of hallucinatory, oppressive, reality-altered state being controlled by massive, impersonal forces, just like something out of a Dick story, particularly on "Helvetin Esikartano" and most of "Vitaalinen Olomuoto." But when they want to bring the fire, its as heavy as ever, with maybe some of their most aggressive work and vocals of all: "Treatment Protocol" (which also makes use of some very Whitehouse/SJ like high pitched feedback, something I don't think they'd utilized heavily to this point), "Divine Legions Beyond Pscyche Pt. 2," and the last 4 minutes of "Vitaalinen Olomuoto," which, to my mind, might be 4 of the most perfect p.e. minutes ever...absolutely CRUSHING noise, rhythms, and vocals that explode at the perfect time from the long buildup before it....my only complaint is I wish it were longer...but it also proves that sometimes less is more.

Listening to it with the collaboration with Theologian back to back is a perfect complement.

Beyond that, I'd say "Laboratorio Suomi" probably has gotten the most play by me over the years. I love the raw power of the live versions of all those classic tracks, but all of their releases have something to offer.

Which brings me to a final question. Its been 16(!!) years since "Divine Legions," the last proper release of new material. We've had some new Cloama since then. Is there the possibility of something new from Strom.ec still to come someday?

Krigsverk

Dont forget the fantastic Stromstad album "New devoted human" that came out in 2017. I had the pleasure of mastering that masterpiece, so I have really listened long and hard to it and it belongs to the classics of the genre.

I also have a CDR somewhere with some Folkstorm remix they did which I think never got released, need to go digging in my vaults.

FreakAnimalFinland

Since very first things I heard from Strom.ec, I was blown away. Organized their first live gig outside their hometown in 1998, and put out debut album as soon as it was ready. Still today, all these recordings sounds very advanced and unique. Of course you can put it into context of late 90's industrial/PE/heavy electronics.

One of their very best, most aggressive recording is split LP with Irikarah. I would really hope it could be done as CD some day!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

xdementia

One of the best pe bands ever!

Manhog_84

Helvetin Esikartano form Divine Legions... might be my favorite Strom.ec track, with it's use of haunting samples. The album also features great Jukka Siikala cover art. Dogs of Total Order might be the strongest entity though. There's something addictive in that electric buzzing and droning.