Heightened sense awareness of mundane sound because of noise

Started by Cranial Blast, September 09, 2024, 04:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cranial Blast

I was curious if anyone else since having been accustomed to actively listening to noise for quite sometime has developed a sense of awareness or an appreciation for everyday mundane white noise or otherwise maybe sounds you'd of otherwise, pre-noise listening might of not of noticed with a precise ear for detail before. I apologize if a similar topic has been brought up before this post. I've noticed since having a more focused appreciation for sound, or noise that I've had a heightened awareness for sounds that I've maybe never noticed before and I can only attribute the now focus from having been exposed to noise on a regular basis. For instance, normally when I've flipped on the switch for the bath fan when taking a shower, I've never paid no mind to it, but now I've got an ear for the hum of it's ambient sound, that in my mind without having an ear for such detail, that I'd of otherwise would have never paid no mind to. I'm curious if anyone else has had similar notices to such things in a mundane sort of everyday way.

Vrenndel

Listening to noise on a daily basis can indeed develop a new kind of "earing". I joked about this for quite some with a friend I've playing noise with for some years now, and we both noticed that. Common sounds that we wouldn't care or pay attention to in the everyday's life suddenly assume a new kind of dimension, from the point of view of sound. Even silence - I think there has been a topic about the idea of silence and complete silence on this forum before, if my memory is correct - becomes something else when you listen carefully. Some details will start appearing, depending on the space around you, eventually driven by your mood too? I've been asking myself if I wasn't driving a bit mad by moments, asking myself this kind of question, but it's nice that someone brought it up. So my guess would be: yes, listening to noise, generally speaking, can develop a new kind of earing in some situations. Paradoxically, since I got into it, I can appreciate (or not) (almost) every kind of music way better than before, paying attention to details which I didn't notice before.

Alföld

I think part of me was always attracted to parts of white noise or just unconventional sounds, I have really early memories of being maybe 4-5 years old, sitting on old LOUD BZmot train and being fascinated by all the sounds and noise it made going along the tracks, but I guess back then it was more so the rythm I was drawn to.
Listening to noise definitely helped put all those earlier experiences in context and it did make me more fond of all the more irregular or structureless white noise around me, I think the first time I realised that was helping my friend out in his workshop and being shocked how entranced I got by the sounds of the angle grinder haha. It's definitely true that you can gain a sort of appreciation or attention to detail, both conscious and unconscious.

mitchfloyd

Quote from: Vrenndel on September 09, 2024, 04:24:20 PMListening to noise on a daily basis can indeed develop a new kind of "earing". I joked about this for quite some with a friend I've playing noise with for some years now, and we both noticed that. Common sounds that we wouldn't care or pay attention to in the everyday's life suddenly assume a new kind of dimension, from the point of view of sound. Even silence - I think there has been a topic about the idea of silence and complete silence on this forum before, if my memory is correct - becomes something else when you listen carefully. Some details will start appearing, depending on the space around you, eventually driven by your mood too? I've been asking myself if I wasn't driving a bit mad by moments, asking myself this kind of question, but it's nice that someone brought it up. So my guess would be: yes, listening to noise, generally speaking, can develop a new kind of earing in some situations. Paradoxically, since I got into it, I can appreciate (or not) (almost) every kind of music way better than before, paying attention to details which I didn't notice before.

I agree with this point of view because before I could not listen to electronic music like Techno, EDM or Trance and felt that I could not listen to it but after a period of exposure to the noise from those music genres, now I can listen and evaluate a song.

It was also a surprise when I realized that.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: mitchfloyd on September 17, 2024, 06:54:32 AM
Quote from: Vrenndel on September 09, 2024, 04:24:20 PMListening to noise on a daily basis can indeed develop a new kind of "earing". I joked about this for quite some with a friend I've playing noise with for some years now, and we both noticed that. Common sounds that we wouldn't care or pay attention to in the everyday's life suddenly assume a new kind of dimension, from the point of view of sound. Even silence - I think there has been a topic about the idea of silence and complete silence on this forum before, if my memory is correct - becomes something else when you listen carefully. Some details will start appearing, depending on the space around you, eventually driven by your mood too? I've been asking myself if I wasn't driving a bit mad by moments, asking myself this kind of question, but it's nice that someone brought it up. So my guess would be: yes, listening to noise, generally speaking, can develop a new kind of earing in some situations. Paradoxically, since I got into it, I can appreciate (or not) (almost) every kind of music way better than before, paying attention to details which I didn't notice before.

I agree with this point of view because before I could not listen to electronic music like Techno, EDM or Trance and felt that I could not listen to it but after a period of exposure to the noise from those music genres, now I can listen and evaluate a song.

It was also a surprise when I realized that.

I can definitely agree with that, as it was the sort of the same thing for me too, in regards to those types of electronic genres. I could not appreciate those types of music either and it wasn't until after the exposure to noise that I could be more open to listening to them. I also think noise teaches us to be more open minded in terms of pace and patience sometimes, which then can allow us to have a more magnified hearing experience to what we are listening to as a whole. We can then maybe find the hidden or risidual sound experience, we might not of heard at first or maybe that took for granted.

BlackCavendish

Quote from: Cranial Blast on September 18, 2024, 02:10:26 AMI can definitely agree with that, as it was the sort of the same thing for me too, in regards to those types of electronic genres. I could not appreciate those types of music either and it wasn't until after the exposure to noise that I could be more open to listening to them. I also think noise teaches us to be more open minded in terms of pace and patience sometimes, which then can allow us to have a more magnified hearing experience to what we are listening to as a whole. We can then maybe find the hidden or risidual sound experience, we might not of heard at first or maybe that took for granted.

The same goes for me. Especially when it comes to electronic music or things like that, they're still not my favorite genre but now I can listen to it and distinguish what I like and what I don't, whereas before it was all generically unbearable.
And the same goes for genres such as jazz or seventies prog, noise has led me to develop greater attention to listening but also, obviously, greater patience towards music that involves a "learning period".

"Philosophically" I told myself that, in a certain sense, noise "contains" any possible combination of frequencies and sounds... so any other genre could be seen as a more organized and organic subset of noise itself.
It's obviously a provocation, but not that far from reality.