Throbbing Gristle

Started by Balor/SS1535, September 09, 2024, 06:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

I looked through the forum a few times, but it seems there is no general thread for Throbbing Gristle?

However, since the recent reissue of two albums (their first direct-to-CD release and The Third Mind Movements) I am interested in hearing more general thoughts on their music---specifically for recommendations beyond the obvious essential albums.  For instance, which live tapes are the best?

As a side note, I have been eyeing the copies of this tribute comp at my local record store: https://www.discogs.com/master/53481-Various-In-Formation-A-Tribute-To-Throbbing-Gristle  Is it any good?  I don't recognize many of the projects.

burdizzo1

Into_The_Void

Useless to talk about the importance and the pivotal role the band played not only in the industrial music, but in the whole alternative art scene back in the '70s / '80s. I personally never dug the myriad of lives and performances, even though the essence of this project has been exactly in the live performance, and I stick to "20 Jazz..", "Second Annual Report" and "Heaven Earth" (not a big fan of "Third Report") and the "Mission Of Dead Souls" live LP.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: burdizzo1 on September 09, 2024, 09:49:51 AMIt's OK, but for TG tributes, this is the one to get: https://www.discogs.com/release/472256-Various-We-Hate-You-A-Small-Tribute-To-Throbbing-Gristle

Ha--from the names alone, I can tell you are probably right about this one!  When multiple copies of the other comp just sit for months at a time, it tends to project a certain message about the contents.

ritualabuser

My gateway band into noise/industrial along with Whitehouse. Wasn't initially into how all over the place the albums were, with much of that stuff often being too "soft" for my taste, but I'd recently returned to the band after a few years break and found it a bit easier to digest now.

As far as live recordings go, which are maybe superior to the studio content, I'd highly recommend "Rafters Psychick Rally" and "Mission of Dead Souls".

impulse manslaughter

A band I still listen to once in a while. Esp. love their 7"s. Ordered a copy of the TGCD1 reissue because never heard that one and think I will like it.

Zeno Marx

Hamburger Lady...Hamburger Lady...Hamburger Lady...it's all I read when I was first getting into difficult music.  I didn't get it, so I moved on.  I was more drawn to Psychic TV for some reason, but even then, I was eh.  Cold Dark Matter is an amazing album though.  It was years later when I heard my first TG live recording, and that is when it began to click.  Like with Test Dept, I prefer them live, and fortunately, we have quite a few good TG recordings.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on September 09, 2024, 09:58:52 PMA band I still listen to once in a while. Esp. love their 7"s. Ordered a copy of the TGCD1 reissue because never heard that one and think I will like it.

It was my first time listening to it as well.  It is good!

burdizzo1

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 09, 2024, 06:36:57 AMHowever, since the recent reissue of two albums (their first direct-to-CD release and The Third Mind Movements) I am interested in hearing more general thoughts on their music---specifically for recommendations beyond the obvious essential albums.  For instance, which live tapes are the best?

Ah, I should have mentioned Very Friendly (First Annual Report of Throbbing Gristle) - if only for the recording of "Very Friendly". Don't know if this version is available elsewhere? Also the inclusion of "Final Muzak" is another factor (but it's just a shorter version of what appeared on the Blood Pressure CD); mechanical, off-beat, repetitive. Actually, I think I'll go and give it a whizz now, and all!

Earth O.D.

Quote from: ritualabuser on September 09, 2024, 09:38:14 PMAs far as live recordings go, which are maybe superior to the studio content, I'd highly recommend "Rafters Psychick Rally" and "Mission of Dead Souls".

"Heathen Earth" too... I´m thinking of upgrading my CD to a 2CD for more live stuff, not least for the track "The Devil´s Gateway".

Phenol

TG's material is always worth listening to, even the ones that are perhaps more interesting than good. These days the Mission of Dead Souls live LP is getting the most frequent spins, but my overall favourite would have to be D.O.A. Both classics, so not really a deep dive. For other live performances than Mission and Heathen Earth I don't know if they're really "need to have" releases. I have the TG+ 10 CD box which covers the years 1980 and 1981 and includes the classic Oundle Public School gig. It contains some pretty good performances overall and was really cheap when it came out, but I suspect that that's no longer the case. I have a few other live LPs, but can't say I listen to them that often.

Krigsverk

My first taste of TG was the 1986 "Sacrifice" album, a really great collection of live tracks. Got me completely hooked and nothing has been the same since, hahaha.

There is a great number of really shitty live releases though, some completely unlistenable.

DrRichard

"DOA" was the first album I listened to, and fell in love with. I'm not a big fan of the rest of their discography actually, excepted a few tracks here and there like "Hot on the heels of love". The third annual report has the best production, the best stylistic variety, the darkest moments, the most innocent or cute moments, it contains the whole industrial genre.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: burdizzo1 on September 09, 2024, 11:34:06 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 09, 2024, 06:36:57 AMHowever, since the recent reissue of two albums (their first direct-to-CD release and The Third Mind Movements) I am interested in hearing more general thoughts on their music---specifically for recommendations beyond the obvious essential albums.  For instance, which live tapes are the best?

Ah, I should have mentioned Very Friendly (First Annual Report of Throbbing Gristle) - if only for the recording of "Very Friendly". Don't know if this version is available elsewhere? Also the inclusion of "Final Muzak" is another factor (but it's just a shorter version of what appeared on the Blood Pressure CD); mechanical, off-beat, repetitive. Actually, I think I'll go and give it a whizz now, and all!

Cool, will check it out!

post-morten

Heathen Earth is certainly the standout live album, recorded as it is in a controlled studio setting. Incidentally the first TG record I bought back in 1981 I think. Blasting this, my parents were not happy in their adjacent bedroom. 

From the mass of live recordings to come out, the Thee Psychic Sacrifice 2LP set (originally IRC18) is the one I keep returning to. This is TG captured at their prime. The quality of the sound and the track selection surpasses other live records or tapes that I own or have heard.