Ambient Noise

Started by Andrew McIntosh, July 17, 2011, 03:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

I'm thinking of work that is still definable as Noise but with a subtlety, less emphasis on harshness and "spasticity" and other kinds of outward aggression and more on softer distortion and course, abrasive sound.

I suppose what I think of most is the more recent work of MB. Some material does go more straight into ambient than Noise but there is, such as on "Neurotransmitters", a nice Industrial crunch along with the smoothness.

One album I go back to is a collaboration between Zan Hoffman and Minnoy called "Mmmazamm", a lovely, extended piece of gritty fog. Just the right mix of coarseness and ambience.

The Mark Solotroff series recently put out strikes me as almost an acme for Ambient Noise. The majority of the pieces are lengthy, relying on texture almost solely without making too much of an effort to change drastically, and in many cases mix a softly distorted filth with extended ambience.

Perhaps the Grey Wolves "Blood And Sand" on Cold Spring? They've never been afraid to show their softer side yet it's the lo-fi grit and course, natural sounding distortion on most of these two pieces that could let it qualify.

Leave us not forget PBK's own label, Noise Ambient. A bit odd for me as the examples I've heard of his work I wouldn't necessarily place under such a label, but I admit I've heard only a few albums so far.

Anything else?
Shikata ga nai.

SKY BURIAL

The new Guilty Connector may fall into this category, self-described as "Skull Ambience".

http://gravity-swarm.sakura.ne.jp/samples/smplgc1.mp3

http://gsr56.shop-pro.jp/?pid=32416030

catharticprocess

That was supposed to be on CP as an LP, but when I decided not to release any LPs on the label, he didn't want to switch to CS. I worked with him on fine tuning the release and the final master I received was excellent. I haven't heard the final release yet to know if it's all identical, but if it is then I highly recommend it.

Jaakko V.

Sachiko - Zunya

Definitely noise, but quite meditative and "ambient". Great stuff.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Jaakko V. on July 17, 2011, 08:24:08 PM
Sachiko - Zunya

Definitely noise, but quite meditative and "ambient". Great stuff.
That's a really good album.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

I think a lot of GROSS label material falls into this category?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Henrik III

Would (1990's) S-core fit into this category? Subtly noisy and messy but certainly not harsh or aggressive-transgressive. Earlier stuff (that haven't heard much) seems a bit different with rhythm machines etc. My favorites are probably "Missing Volume" LP and "Sediment" CD, both should be fairly easy to find.

Bloated Slutbag

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Well, more seriously, just about any MSBR but the previously listed would qualify.

But I do quite like the point he was making with that title.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Human Larvae

Eskil from Covenant had a side project that could best be described as ambiente noise. Think it was called Concrete? I forget. Haven't seen any releases out either, sadly.

vlai44

Quote from: Human Larvae on September 23, 2011, 12:44:36 AM
Eskil from Covenant had a side project that could best be described as ambiente noise. Think it was called Concrete? I forget. Haven't seen any releases out either, sadly.

Wow, I'd love to hear this.  Couldn't find any info on discogs or anywhere else after a cursory search.  The only other project I knew he was involved in was the old elektro-Elvis covers one.

Also for ambient noise:  Omei, some older Cloama, Gruntsplatter... I guess there's a fine line between ambient noise & some p.e. (Anenzephalia, Operation Cleansweep) & death industrial.

post-morten

It was called Cement. Here's a short live snippet from the Tube.
Seems like this project didn't go down too well among the more orthodox Covenant fans, at least judging by the assessments in this discussion...

vlai44

Quote from: post-morten on September 23, 2011, 10:52:55 AM
Seems like this project didn't go down too well among the more orthodox Covenant fans, at least judging by the assessments in this discussion...

Thanks for the links; definitely interesting to hear.  Not surprised about the reaction from regular Covenant fans, but who cares.  [I predict future Prurient albums will soon incorporate "futurepop" influences, as it is the next logical step in his progession.]

Back to ambient noise, what about Jarl?  Or is that just straight dark ambient?  Some of his solo works are rougher, while others are more droney.

Human Larvae

Quote from: post-morten on September 23, 2011, 10:52:55 AM

yeah that's the gig I attended. It's not really audiable in the clip but I remember it being pretty melodious. Too bad he hasn't released anything

alessio

maybe not everybody's cup of tea but there's a wave into HNW which has been labeled Ambient Noise Wall... just fyi...