Digital multi-track recorders ?

Started by bitewerksMTB, July 28, 2011, 08:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Anyone using a 4 or 8 track recorder that uses the SD cards? Looking at Boss or Zoom as my 4-track tape recorder isn't working so hot. Any thoughts on quality, specific models, what makes them suck esp using the SD card- how quickly can you fill up 2 gigs (I think they come with a card & I already have a 2 gig card)? Or would a recorder with hard drive/cd-r burner be best?

Thx

STREETMEAT

i have the boss br-864 it has a gig compact flash for memory which i havent been able to fill yet. sound on it is great too.

Andrew McIntosh

Biggest mistake I ever made was to buy a digital multi-track. Pointless when one can spend probably less money on a computer with decent memory and mixing desk to plug into it. You can download legitimate multi-track software free.

The only advantage is that you can take a multi-track to different places which means you can record in a rehearsal studio or wherever, but setting up a computer rig shouldn't be that hard for those occasions either.
Shikata ga nai.

tiny_tove

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 28, 2011, 08:05:01 PM
Anyone using a 4 or 8 track recorder that uses the SD cards? Looking at Boss or Zoom as my 4-track tape recorder isn't working so hot. Any thoughts on quality, specific models, what makes them suck esp using the SD card- how quickly can you fill up 2 gigs (I think they come with a card & I already have a 2 gig card)? Or would a recorder with hard drive/cd-r burner be best?

Thx

I have recently used http://www.drumza.com/product/Zoom-R24-Multitrack-Recorder.html, (about 550 euro) that goes with normal SD cards. Very good, it gave some problems when recording with playback after the third track, but I think it was our fault.

I own using a Boss BR600 Multitrack Digital Recorder 8about 250 euro) , but mostly for more musical stuff. Never used it for wertham, etc.

If you need to use it at home, just get a good DAW program and use it on your computer, it becomes completely useless. And being digital the result is the same, plus you have better editing options.

But if you need to move yourself around it is very good.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Andrew McIntosh

Upon reflection, something like this would be ideal -
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/
- among other things it can record in 4-track mode. And you can USB it into your computer. I've heard of them being very cheap on Ebay.
Shikata ga nai.

Ashley Choke

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 28, 2011, 08:05:01 PM

Thx

A nube like me should in no way try and school a heavyweight veteran like you, but having been following your projects for quite a while and being an avid fan, I have to say that nothing would seem like a more unfitting combination than Mania and Digital Multi Trackers. IMHO A big part of your trademark sound is the oversaturated tape and the natural analog static.

My 2 cents: Go spend the money on a good 4track Reel To Reel or similar. Just had the opportunity to work with a TEAC 4Tracker myself recently, and I'm still completely blown away by the sound of such machine. Something that can never be replicated digitally.

bitewerksMTB

May have jumped the gun. I thought my 4-track was dying but it seems to be themixer I use. I can turn the levels up but lights barely register.

I don't think analog vs digital would have a huge effect on how my work turns out. It's mixed to the pc & usually no mastering is done. I am curious how it'd sound recorded directly to digital as there are a lot of details I can never fully capture on tape. I definitely do not want a reel-to-reel recorder. Unless they're really small.

*The Zoom link looks good. Multi-track plus the mics & portable. Will look into that as my mini-disc recorder is giving me problems too. basically, I have no electronics that work properly... 4-Track does seem to have some issues.

andy vomit

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 29, 2011, 12:39:21 PM
Upon reflection, something like this would be ideal -
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/
- among other things it can record in 4-track mode. And you can USB it into your computer. I've heard of them being very cheap on Ebay.

funny i see this now, when i have an H4N in my hands (currently at work) ... this thing is great.  i might have to get one for myself..
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

Ashley Choke

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 29, 2011, 07:07:54 PM
I am curious how it'd sound recorded directly to digital as there are a lot of details I can never fully capture on tape.

Sure you would catch some more detail using fancy digital equipment. The problem I see with digital recorders, at least the four or five different ones I've used, is that they all capture sound in a dull sounding flat way. What you get in extra detail you loose in expression.

Just recently I had a great recording session with Jaakko V, simple good sounding stereo mic into plain cassette recorder, and the sound was fantastic. Remember Jaakko commenting that this was one of he's first times using taperecorder instead of digital for this kinda session, and that he was trilled about how much more character the sound got.

Reel's is indeed bigger and a little more clumsy, and even if it goes quite fast getting the grip on recording, I don't see myself changing from cs tape to reel anytime soon. But the two mid priced condenser microphones I acquired recently sure is my best investment in a long time. Don't know if you're a line-in man or use mics, But maybe new mics and a new 4tracker would be the way to go?

On a side note, what equipment did you use to record the collab side of the split LP with Bloomer?

Jaakko V.

Oh yeah, when it comes to doing recordings outdoors -- moved from this to battery operated this. Best switch ever & ain't going back, hah.

bitewerksMTB

The collab with Ryan Bloomer was recorder in a small concrete room. Everything run through a fairly large, fancy mixer & recorder with mics into probably something digital. I don't really remember. Ryan worked with PA set-up's so he knew what he was doing. The place was where he worked.

I haven't even looked at the prices of 4-track tape recorders or what's currently available. Seems like that 'flat' digital recording sound you mention could be made up for with sound sources...? I'm not a big analog fanatic. It's just what I use because it's cheap & I tend to use the same gear until it breaks down. Same stuff I used in taint 10 years ago is what I'm using for Mania.....

Ashley Choke

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 30, 2011, 08:48:53 PM
Seems like that 'flat' digital recording sound you mention could be made up for with sound sources...?

IMO In a reversed sense this is actually the point, From my experience you need to work ten times harder, so to say. To capture the true strength of sound with digital equipment wheres if you did it with basic tape, you would get punch served easily IE. solid sources + simple tape setup = best sound ??

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 30, 2011, 08:48:53 PM
The collab with Ryan Bloomer was recorder in a small concrete room......

Reason I'm asking is, when I first got the record from you, I was totally and completely blown away by the sound of the collab piece. I was communicating briefly with Ryan at the time, and asked him about the recording process, and he told me about the basement at his work. Afterwards I experimented a lot to find that same sound, and only five months later when my digi recorder broke and I was forced back to tape did I feel like I found the recipe(I only feel safe about sharing this taking in account that I've never put out anything sounding remotely alike)

STREETMEAT

also you can connect a tape player (that records, walmart sells them) to any digi recorder so you can have both formats.