Alcohol

Started by Levas, September 09, 2011, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngnosh

Drinking to get drunk doesn't exactly stop one from knowing about, liking or appreciating alcohol does it?

This thread has so far included Fosters, Guiness, Boddingtons, Strongbow and cocaine for fucks sake so maybe it isn't as high brow as you'd like?

Jordan

Quote from: youngnosh on December 30, 2012, 09:27:23 PM
Drinking to get drunk doesn't exactly stop one from knowing about, liking or appreciating alcohol does it?

This thread has so far included Fosters, Guiness, Boddingtons, Strongbow and cocaine for fucks sake so maybe it isn't as high brow as you'd like?

Sorry, I just found your love of Carling rather baffling. All those low-brow beers and the cider you listed are also much higher quality than Carling.

HongKongGoolagong

Carling is a national disgrace and embarassment and I would like to apologise for it on behalf of the whole UK.

I'm not sure if I know or have ever met the smuttily named mr youngnosh but a belief that drinking spirits is just to get you wasted shows regrettable inexperience within the unfortunate field of hardcore alcoholism. FWIW, I've experienced seriously psychedelic things on good gin. tequila and single malts.

Jordan, do you know the Liquid Kitty bar in Hamilton ON? My slutty second cousin highly recommended it after drinking a full bottle of vodka at a family barbecue. Sounds like somewhere Smell & Quim should visit.

Jordan

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on December 31, 2012, 06:59:54 AM
Carling is a national disgrace and embarassment and I would like to apologise for it on behalf of the whole UK.

I'm not sure if I know or have ever met the smuttily named mr youngnosh but a belief that drinking spirits is just to get you wasted shows regrettable inexperience within the unfortunate field of hardcore alcoholism. FWIW, I've experienced seriously psychedelic things on good gin. tequila and single malts.

Jordan, do you know the Liquid Kitty bar in Hamilton ON? My slutty second cousin highly recommended it after drinking a full bottle of vodka at a family barbecue. Sounds like somewhere Smell & Quim should visit.

Ha! I lived just a couple blocks away from that place! There's another bar in that building too, can't remember the name. I remember they had cheap martinis, and Hamilton is a pretty perfectly sleazy place, but quite frankly, I hated Hamilton and that bar. I would totally go if that ever happened though. I now live in Ottawa, the nations capital, and it's the most boring, bureaucratic place on earth. I just brought Justice Yeldham here and maybe eight people decided to show up.

I guess I hate here more than Hamilton and have considered moving back there occasionally, as I really fucking hate Toronto. And it was always fun, if a little scary at times, to watch the all the scum, trash, bikers and nazis go about their everyday lives in that dump. I guess I kind of miss it, but to be honest, most of my memories of that time in my life are distorted by an alcoholic/hypermanic haze.

youngnosh

Quote from: Jordan on December 31, 2012, 06:46:22 AM
Quote from: youngnosh on December 30, 2012, 09:27:23 PM

Sorry, I just found your love of Carling rather baffling. All those low-brow beers and the cider you listed are also much higher quality than Carling.

I do as well. A year ago I hated the stuff and when it came to drinking (at home at least) I was slowly going through the continental lagers of the local supermarket (Tiger, Kingfisher, Peroni) and some ales like Doom Bar but having had a couple cases of Carling bought for me and drinking them out of manners, I found I liked the taste.
Its strange to see people of other nationalities perception of the different brands...I'd say where I'm from Boddingtons, Fosters and Carlsberg are on the same level as Carling and most big brand ciders on tap Strongbow, Woodpecker etc are lower brow.

youngnosh

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on December 31, 2012, 06:59:54 AM

FYI - Carling was created by an Englishman in Canada so the UK doesn't have to take all of the shame!

I think the point I was trying to make is that as much as I'd like to (and have tried) to get into spirits I just can't hack the taste so can't sip at them, so they became a drink "to get drunk" for me...
It is possible to enjoy alcohol for it's taste and other virtues and also enjoy it for it's ability to get you drunk - it's not two camps of which you can only join one!

Jordan

Yeah, I know Carling comes from here. Black Label used to be the most popular beer in the world, in the early nineties at least. Now, I'm pretty sure, it's just like a discount, dollar kind of beer. My parents used to drink Black Label and some of my first beers that I ever swiped were Carling. Luckily,they started drinking premium beer shortly after I started drinking and I was able to swipe Upper Canada Rebellion, which was pretty good, then when they stopped making it, Upper Canada Lager, which is now a discount craft beer.

I don't think Hong Kong Goolagong or I were saying that you couldn't enjoy getting drunk if you enjoyed the taste of fine spirits, but rather, that one who has plunged into the depths of hardcore alcoholism learns to appreciate the source of their vice. I sip spirits neat all the time, and I love getting drunk.

ConcreteMascara

Fucking the new year with a bottle of Maker's Mark bourbon and ...

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Bleak Existence

Jim Beam red stag black cherry

Jordan

Currently hitting a bottle of Chartreuse.

RG

Quote from: KMusselman on January 28, 2013, 04:44:40 AM
For U.S. residents (except TX and VA) and are 21 years of age or older, text PINT to 63065...

Done and ordered. Been wanting to check those out ever since I first heard about them. Thanks!

As far as what I'm consuming tonight, it's:

+

+

Levas

RG: I like your choice for the evening.

Currently

Andrew McIntosh

Not wanting to derail, but does anyone else smoke it straight? I can't stand mine mulled with tobacco. I don't smoke tobacco anyway, and it seems to me like it's watering down wine.
Shikata ga nai.

Jordan

I can't stand it with tobacco either, and I smoke (tobacco) like a chimney. I used to smoke pot way too often as well, but have reduced it to just when I need help sleeping lately.

BACK ON TOPIC: I've been drinking Pastis for a couple of weeks. The only kinds we have here are Pernod and Ricard, which have been the same company for quite a while, but they used to be bitter rivals. Pernod-Ricard is one of those mega-conglomerates now which owns nearly everything that InBev and a few others don't own. I think most other Pastis are produced by Pernod-Ricard as well.

Anyhow, I don't really like liquorice, but really enjoy some anise-flavoured liqueurs. As far as these two brands of Pastis go, I like Ricards best for taste I think, although it's brown colour is certainly less appealing than Pernod's bright yellow, and perhaps Ricard is too sweet, although as a pastis de marseille, it's 45% ABV so you can always just add more water.  Ricard also has a slightly more interesting louche effect, although, as I stated, I don't like the colour of the end result so much, but there is definitely more going on there.

Anyone else into this unreasonable absinthe facsimile? I never thought that I'd be into it by my prior, limited experience, but here I am.

ConcreteMascara

breakfast of champions

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512