DAS SYNTHETISCHE MISCHGEWEBE

Started by Johann, April 03, 2013, 01:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johann

this group has fascinated me for quite a few years, i've only heard 3 of their releases, missed the one on Pan. very curious for more information on these guys

Zeno Marx

They had all the right press at one time.  Or rather, all the right press for where I looked for guidance and information.  I found the sounds didn't live up to the discussions.  I believe there was an interview, spotlight, or group of reviews in the great ND magazine.  It would be great if all of those were bound to book form or scanned and shared online.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Johann

Quote from: Zeno Marx on April 03, 2013, 02:51:31 AM
I found the sounds didn't live up to the discussions. 

i've considered this (for VC and others). I wonder if its due to the conceptualization that seem to come along with such projects, i assume at one time the work wasn't linked as much to art/academia and the tapes spoke more for themselves. But with discussion/writing and history the talk about the equipment/invention/sound allows us to piece together an audio idea (and though it's fragmented like a dream) i feel the real audio can never really hold up against our imaginations.

Zeno Marx

eh...I get what you're saying, but I don't find it to be the case very often.  It's rare that my interest has been piqued like it was with DSM and then to find they're almost without merit.  In context, the sources of praise for DSM were normally reliable.  This group's virtues are lost on me.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

SI#9 will have interview. Magazine little late, but it's becoming so good, I rather delay for month or so than rush it...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

I found this a good introduction to a project I haven't known about before. How representative it is I can't say, but I appreciate the use of home-made gadgets to create sound. Be warned, about seven minutes of near silence at the start, but it builds up very nicely.
Shikata ga nai.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I prefer more their releases from 80s and 90s than the latest, after 2000. I can recommend "The Harvest Of Magnetism" ; "Interférences Et Plus" and in collaboration with ERG/MSBR very good "Geosynclines", probably the latest interesting thing what they did. Their exploration in electro-acoustic music doesn't impression on me.

A little preface to Mikko's lecture in the next issue of SI about this band:

A multimedia band started in 1980 by Guido HÜBNER (b. 1963), a German composer and multimedia artist. Using only a cassette player, radio receivers, electric motors and a microphone, he managed to produce remarkable sound structures, which originally were merely meant as an offshoot of his visual artwork. In 1985 he was joined by a French artist Isabelle CHEMIN (b. 1964), who has since remained a regular member of the group. Together they have organised multimedia performances at such unusual venues as swimming pools, abandoned railway stations or slaughterhouses. The group's name, German for "mixture of artificial materials", was a consciously constructed manifesto of their artistic philosophy, involving a comprehensive synthesis of various branches of art, primarily film, music, performance, literature and painting. The group have produced a great number of sound installations, employing in them neurosurgical instruments and devices (e.g. photon emission tomography, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging), with the intent to capture the impact of technology on the human body and life, and its consequences. They have successfully incorporated in their work contemporary literature trends by collaborating with an avant-garde author Jean-René LASSALLE. Their music was primarily comprised of enigmatically prepared field recordings (e.g. industrial noises, sounds of cars passing by, conversations, crowded places) mixed with electronically generated noises and digitally processed sounds of acoustic instruments. In the late 1990s they were joined, mainly for the purposes of live performance, by Samuel LOVITON. Also, Guido HÜBNER has assisted and been assisted by many acclaimed artists, ARTIFICIAL MEMORY TRACE, Tore Honoré BØE, M.S.B.R. or Eric CORDIER, to name a few.

And full discography (until to 2009):

Audience Of The Souldestroyers (Individual VOD 1981) LP
002 (Das Cassetten Combinat 1981) tape
Works (Individual VOD 1982) LP
Only For Fowl (Individual VOD 1984) LP
Clear (Individual VOD 1984) 12" EP
Sonic Deformation (Alien Artists 1985) tape
Dokumentation Deformation (Alien Artists 198?) tape
split with MONTY CANTSIN Blood & Gold - Propaganda (Artcore Editions 1987) tape
Bacchus (ZSF Produkt / Alien Artists 1988) tape
El Pez-Vidriera (Freedom In A Vacuum / Alien Artists 1989) tape
Everything Is Nothing (Harsh Reality Music 1989) tape
El Jardí De Les Delícies (Centre d'Art Santa Monica 1990) 7" EP
The Harvest Of Magnetism (Discos Esplendor Geometrico 1990) LP
Was Ist Das, Die Realitat?  (Tonspur Tapes 1990) tape
Interférences Et Plus (Sounds For Consciousness Rape 1991) CD
collaboration with HANDS TO/KAPOTTE MUZIEK/MERZBOW/PBK/S.B.O.T.H.I. Rework/Odiom
(E'ostrate 1992) tape
Recycled Music (RRRecords 199?) tape
Drum (Povertech Industries 1998) 7" EP
collaboration with ERG / M.S.B.R. Geosynclines (Flenix 1998) CD
Some Conceptual Obligations, The Usual Rough & Rumble And The Conspiration Of Silence
(Pinch-A-Loaf 1998) CD
Casual Praise Of Domestic Calamities (Hypnagogia 2004) CD
Inventaire & Contradictions - Retrospective 1982-1988 (Vinyl-On-Demand 2004) LP
Gleis3eck / Görlitzer Tunnel (Antiinformation 2006) 2 x CD
The Escape Of The Electrified Dermatologist Epitomises ... (Monochrome Vision 2006) 2 x CD
Neunundvierzig Entgleisungen (Auf Abwegen 2008) 2 x 10" EP
collaboration with The NEW BLOCKADERS The Monosyllabic Bicycles Tri-Coloured Quadruples (Equation Records 2008) LP + 7" EP
Frequency Conquistadors (Pan 2009) LP
Le Vide Pour Appui (Waystyx 2009) CD

from Encyclopaedia of Industrial Music vol. II (D-I)

Zeno Marx

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eyestrain

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 25, 2014, 03:48:41 AM
Das Synthetische Mischgewebe - Live at Cage100, Leipzig, 2012

http://nostalgie-de-la-boue.blogspot.com/2014/05/das-synthetische-mischgewebe-live-at_23.html

Thanks for sharing!

Was literally listening to nothing but DSM all day. Perfect timing.

FreakAnimalFinland

Been listening quite a lot of Das Synthetische Mischgewebe in last weeks. Often giving album multiple listens as soon as they are on CD player.

Das Synthetische Mischgewebe – Some Conceptual Obligations, The Usual Rough & Rumble And The Conspiration Of Silence CD
Das Synthesiche Mischewebe CD, Pinch A Loaf 1998, jesus christ! I don't know when this arrived to my shelves, hopefully not 1998, but after finally opening from shrinkwrap, listening this couple of times and liking the stuff a lot. I got quite a lot of DSM stuff, and seen him live as well. Really old project that has been always around, but perhaps little far away from core of "noise scene", and doesn't get mentioned so often? Really good dysfunctional machinery sounds and weird abrupt noises, somewhere between electro-acoustic and industrial noise. Even better than you can go to discogs and score it for 5 bucks type of price range.

Das Synthetische Mischgewebe - Casual Praise Of Domestic Calamities CD
Pulled out this disc after listening the earlier pinch a loaf CD. This is about 5 years later, really dynamic, really odd, noisy, tense, wierd. It is certainly less primitive, more advance, more modular synth zip zap things, but also great example how guys who are good at it, are so much better than guys who just... are not that good.
Noise done 20 years ago, and sounds odd, challenging and good. It would be hard to NOT qualify this as noise. It ain't hard blast all the way, but its never easy or calm. It might quit down a bit, while remaining distorted, tense and abrupt. Sometimes when you look for noise that is innovative, one may have to look outside the sub-genres. I would really like to hear one of noise podcast get in touch with this guy and get him exposed to current "tape scene" followers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_S1njt1jgc
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net