inspiration & influence of surrounding & conditions in creation of sound

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 18, 2009, 11:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko V.

Went reverb hunting today and decided to take a couple of pics as well. Really nice echoes with many possibilities from smaller room reflections to huge hall reverberations, and a great atmosphere in general.

bitewerksMTB

Ugh, no abandoned factories around here. Wish there were. "Eros + Massacre" has field rec'ings at a site with old construction equipment that was down the road from where I use to target shoot. It's all locked up now. Upcoming recording on split with Coma Detox has some rec'ings near a small town. I played on a busted up piano in a ruined church & threw bricks down a well that had deadbirds at the bottom. The heavy banging sounds on "Ultra-Negative" were recorded in my local park on the legs of the electrical towers. One guy told me you could hear them all over the park.

WATERPOWER

When my buddy and I started recording Deeper Wells material, we were at school in central Illinois. We were pretty much on the same page as to how we felt geographically- in the middle of corn fields, yet still feeling claustrophobic. I can't speak entirely for him, but I know I was in a moment of "settling," leaning discontent with where I was/what I was doing there. These thoughts and feelings, while not exactly put forth sonically, definitely drove us to record. Now we're both in the Chicagoland area, and while we sound the same (same instrumentation, gear, etc.), I hate to think the feelings are somewhat dissipated from what they were at that previous time.   

Jaakko V.

Stumbled on this field recordings blog. Lots of sound examples & text, with technical explanations etc. Not all of the sounds are necessarily that 'special' but interesting nevertheless for FR enthusiasts. Might give some practical ideas/inspiration etc.

HLJÓÐMYND – SOUNDIMAGE

Cranial Blast

Quote from: alpharmania on January 05, 2010, 06:24:30 PMInteresting. I used to do some interesting "urban exploration" in past but nowadays I rarely have the time and energy... like Mikko said, graffiti really ruins the atmosphere of abandoned places... extremely disturbing. It doesn't belong here up north...
once me and my neighbour caught some white trash youth tagging down the walls of our house. we gave them a disciplinary lesson and they never came back.... ha
Strömkarlen = JK?

I also agree with that sentiment too. The colorful tagging or graffiti definitely takes away from the corroded monochromatic atmosphere. The sense of old, rusted and obsolete structures can really serve for great atmosphere and aesthetically pleasing to when it comes to imagining some sort of dystopian type of industrial vibe, like it was lost in time and looks like the future in some weird sense. I like anything that looks like the set from Alien 3, often I feel like when you got old decayed and worn down structures from the past, that it almost resembles some weird place from a future time that ran out time. Shopping malls across the United States are starting to look like this today. The gigantic retail relics which are in total decay today and might look more aesthetically sophisticated to the youth of today. When they were first designed it was at a more financially stable time for America and it might appear to youth of today a more sound and structurally innovative time, compared to the cheap shit structures made today that look like ruins in few years time. Graffiti definitely gives a colorful vibe to abandoned structures though and that I loathe. it's often rooted in early 90's hip hop culture with some modern flares and drives too much color into the industrial monochromatic landscapes that I'd like to see. It's best left alone and for time to descend upon.

tiny_tove

Influences vary from human garbage I'm surrounded when I commute, nightlife animals and everything i read where regarding bodies revolting against other bodies or against themselves.
Been very inspired also by woke/incel dicotomy.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0