What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritualabuser

Quote from: BlackCavendish on July 24, 2024, 11:10:34 AMCurrently going through Lords of the Left-Hand Path: Forbidden Practices and Spiritual Heresies by Stephen Flowers, a well-documented account of how the left-hand path evolved, starting with the Indo-European religions to the present.

Been on a big binge of Stephen Flowers/Edred Thorsson over the past year or so. Very interesting author, though I have yet to read this book. For more of his explicitly "Satanic" LHP material, I suggest you track down "Black Runa". It's a collection of some essays he wrote for the internal magazine of the Temple Of Set.

BlackCavendish

Quote from: ritualabuser on July 24, 2024, 09:40:38 PMBeen on a big binge of Stephen Flowers/Edred Thorsson over the past year or so. Very interesting author, though I have yet to read this book. For more of his explicitly "Satanic" LHP material, I suggest you track down "Black Runa". It's a collection of some essays he wrote for the internal magazine of the Temple Of Set.

Thanks for the tip, duly noted!
I read one of his books about runes a few years back (The book was translated in italian so I don't know which one exactly).
I was going to read his book about the Fraternitas Saturni but luckily I found this one about the laft hand path at a local bookstore for half the price so I started with this one.
It's a really good book so far, at least if you're interested in the subject.

tisbor

Robert Kirk's "The Secret Commonwealth" - fun pamphlet from 1600s Scotland, folklore about the fairy folk/dead written by a priest

Into_The_Void

Oswald Spengler's "Der Untergang des Abendlandes" monolith of history's philosophy and comparison between historical ages, analyzed through the lens of the culture's morphology, inherited mainly from Goethe. Extremely hard to follow, one has to dispose over quite a high personal cultural level to be able to stay behind the text and understand everything properly. For a more massive dose of masochism, I am reading it in the original language. I am reading it quite slowly (I started it last autumn), interrupting it from time to time, and starting back after a while, because it was way too hard to follow continuously and I am quite sure I will have to revisit it in the future.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

tiny_tove

Eugene Thacker - In the Dust of This Planet
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

godstar

New Juche - Mountainhead

along with a book about nazi occultism

Atrophist

Bonding by Maggie Siebert. Horror stories of varying quality and originality. Mostly but not exclusively of the gore/body horror variety. A few decent attempts, a few rather meh ones. A very slim tome that can be read in one go, and obviously a debut publication. While even the best material here is derivative, I don't really mind that and I suppose I'm still curious to see what she'll do with a full-lenght novel format.

Mania by Lionel Shriver. Shriver is a writer I always enjoy, although her books tend to be follow a certain formula a bit too closely at times. Set in an alternative recent past where it becomes at first socially unacceptable and then illegal to state basic obvious facts, that in reality everyone is very well aware of. Sound familiar?

Knife: Meditations After an Attempted Murder by Salman Rushdie. A rambling, directionless mess of a book, written by a roaring egotist, almost certainly with money as the main motive. Yes, I'm sorry he was attacked and obviously writers should be free to write what they want without fear of being the targeted for assassination. That doesn't change the fact that this book is a POS.

Also at the moment I'm halfway through:

Penance by Eliza Clark. There are a lot of themes in this novel: teenage girls being awful to each other, toxic social media, the present day "true crime" obsession, the "ghost hunting" obsession. It's very well written and engaging, but often needlessly convoluted and dense. Still, it'll be interesting to see if all this resolves into something relevant, rather than just an exercise in technical brilliance..

BlackCavendish

Life Fading and The Space Between by Miguel Ángel Martín
A recollection of early stories (from 1993) by the one and only Martin. Perhaps (understandably) not his best work but Martin's ability to land low blows was already evident. And its key themes are all here.

Post-Industriale by Marcello Ambrosini
It's an essay about industrial music in Italy in the 80s. Every chapter is an in-depth analysis dedicated to a band and its relases. Few quotes from band exclusive interviews here and there.
A nice trip down memory lane even if the narrative isn't always so exciting (but sometimes neither the story of the band is).

Atlantide e i mondi perduti by Clark Ashton Smith
A voluminous tome that collects some of C.A. Smith's best-known cycles. If you're into weird literature it's a must, otherwise better to stay away... author's baroque writing can be an obstacle.

Stipsi

Il cacciatore di anoressiche (the anorexic hunter).
Italian romance written by marco mariolini.
This book anticipated the homicide of his ex girlfriend and it's basically an autobiography of himself.
He was really obsessed by anorexic girls. They can't weight more than 33 kg to be perfect (for him)
I m pretty into it because he's from my town.
Now he's in jail of course.
The book is in Italian.
I don't know if there is an English translation.
There's a documentary on YouTube in Italian as well but I doubt the subtitles in English are available.
Highly recommended.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

dse666@yahoo.com