Collecting noise (/related)

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 05, 2012, 09:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 21, 2012, 07:34:14 PM
Well, like there is a difference between chinese plastic toy and artists sculpture, there is difference between material.
Something is piece of art, something is piece of commercial business strategy. Which exists in sole purpose of selling product.

I agree with you but we must be honest with ourself. We are all piece of commercial business strategy. For exemple you use some place, in your magazine,  where artists/owners of labels can advertise their products... and I sent to somewhere/somebody some records from my label to interview (it was my fault and will not happen in the future)....

I fuck Impaled Nazarene or The HAFLER TRIO or ORGANUM items if they want to sell it only for collectors. This is their business if they want to be hermetic.... This is their choice. Anyway I will not able to listen all valuable records in my life, so if not ORGANUM 7" EP ( for example this one: http://www.discogs.com/Organum-Arc/release/119828) for over 130 Eu, I will listen hundreds other, this same value or even better ....

FreakAnimalFinland

But again, it's not matter of who sells, what price, etc. but the motivation and aim.

You know, there is capitalism & consumerism in its prime materialistic sense, where you create shit people don't need to get their money. You make cheap, fake, short lasting, crappy product, which you can sell over and over and over again. You try to maximize profit by scam-like methods. It operates by simple rules of capitalism. Create profit by any means necessary. In music business, it sadly ain't based on anything very positive. Additional value is found in materialism, not in actual content. Where sellingpoint may be "digipak". Not what is in & on the digipak. Sellingpoint may be 2 posters, regardless what is in the posters.

As opposite, you create piece of work, which has value other than mere material. It captures creators spirit. His vital creativity, his ideas, his identity. The is more love sacrificed on piece of art what you can justify by any financial calculation. It's timeless, long lasting, strong piece of work. It doesn't need some pop culture bogus gimmicks. It simply rejects them. Do we all live under the rules of capitalist & consumerist

Of course, it is a choice. Do you get mass market items manufactured somewhere. Do you apply your own craftmanship and energy. Do you sell at XX price or XX price. And so on.
But there is no way saying "its all the same". It is not the same. There is difference with "consumer" and "art lover" and there is difference in the objects they value.

As "collector", I don't value so much consumerist crap. I value other things. It's also a spiritual and political choice.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

I like collectors. Something about being fanatic for something I don't understand is interesting.

Watched a show the other night about a guy who tracks down rare toys to sell. He found a Star Wars prototype that was never produced b/c of safety regulations; he sold it for $17,000.

I like colored vinyl too. And the more options, the better.

Haare

Quote from: Zeno Marx on February 07, 2012, 06:32:54 AM
Quote from: RG on February 07, 2012, 05:34:58 AMThe prospect of making a bunch of money selling your physical collection doesn't hold any motivation for you?
The task is that daunting.  I'd love to have the freedom/space/money, but I'm well aware of how much time and energy it would require.  I tried selling small groups at a time.  Hasn't helped.
This is exactly how I feel. Yet I buy more stuff all the time...! Seems there's just so much good stuff out there, good new releases, good reissues of old stuff...

One thing I've been thinking about lately is what I'd simply call greed in all this; band XY will release a ltd edition on label YX and you know it'll fetch x100 on ebay next week as it'll sell out in a day. If you buy it, do you actually take the time and flip it? Or do you just put it in your collection & wait for it to become even more expensive? With today's shelf life, some of the stuff peaks for a week or two, then goes to simply being a used 5$ record. Great example: Wolf eyes/American tapes. For a while you could sell their CDRs for insane $$$, I don't think anyone wants that stuff anymore?

Goat93

Thats the Collector/Ebay Madness- You can't have the Time to listen to all in a While. So most will listen 1x and then throw it away. In the Past i heard some Stuff 100x, but it is now more that i listen to it several Times and then listen to something other, so it turns more and more to "just easy listenting Music" than to be get into it :/

Other Example is Demo Tapes. Now Sellers try to get much Money for every Kind of tape. Even the Recycling Tapes from RRR are sold Expenisve from Time to Time