Current 93

Started by post-morten, February 27, 2012, 12:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdexposition

Quote from: VORACLE on October 23, 2024, 07:34:14 PMI've never known where to start with this shit. Lots of Neofolk is intimidating like that, though.

If you want the actual neofolk stuff, start with Earth Covers Earth through to Thunder Perfect Mind. If you like Thunder Perfect Mind just keep going from there.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

BlackCavendish

Quote from: absurdexposition on October 24, 2024, 06:07:01 AM
Quote from: VORACLE on October 23, 2024, 07:34:14 PMI've never known where to start with this shit. Lots of Neofolk is intimidating like that, though.

If you want the actual neofolk stuff, start with Earth Covers Earth through to Thunder Perfect Mind. If you like Thunder Perfect Mind just keep going from there.

Agree with this, but try at least Dogs Blood Rising and Christ and the Pale Queens Mighty in Sorrow... wonderful albums, and they would also help to better understand the evolution of Tibet's musical vision.

Phenol

I'd recommend one of the good compilations such as Emblems or Calling For Vanished Faces. They cover most of the essential releases and give a good career overview. Thunder Perfect Mind would probably be THE essential and defining Current 93 album.

cantle

Don't dick about - go for 'Swastikas for Noddy'. If you like that album there are bits of it that look back to and project forward to all of his other work that you will notice.

NerveGas

Quote from: cantle on October 25, 2024, 08:05:29 PMDon't dick about - go for 'Swastikas for Noddy'. If you like that album there are bits of it that look back to and project forward to all of his other work that you will notice.

This is a fair point. Spun it a few days ago.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

Balor/SS1535

Lucifer Over London---it encapsulates a lot of their sound, ranging from the emphasis on loops/repetition, occult thematics, and even more experimental passages.

Thunder Perfect Mind is also a masterwork.

Otherwise, I would suggest just checking out their Bandcamp and clicking through a few albums.  You'll find the strands that are most interesting to you pretty quickly.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on Today at 04:48:50 AM

Lucifer Over London---it encapsulates a lot of their sound, ranging from the emphasis on loops/repetition, occult thematics, and even more experimental passages.

Otherwise, I would suggest just checking out their Bandcamp and clicking through a few albums.  You'll find the strands that are most interesting to you pretty quickly.

Absolutely! I think it's imperative for people who have any mild interest at all into Current 93, to just explore their discography a bit and go from there. Lucifer Over London is a great one, but not a "good" representation of Current 93 as a whole, but if that's your liking, like it is mine, then I'd highly recommend that SixSixSix SickSickSick comp, as it gives a nod to the more guitar experimentation. It's kind of like that with a lot of bands and projects. Like if someone asked me what's the go to Iron Maiden album, my answer all day is going to be Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son...that album got a lot of hate in it's day from what I've gathered, however it's by far the most interesting Iron Maiden album in my opinion, despite it's progressive tendencies. I think Current 93 could be viewed that way kind of the same, maybe some people like one side of the project and others like another. It's best to dissect them at your own discretion and find what it is you can like or appreciate.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Cranial Blast on Today at 05:31:02 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on Today at 04:48:50 AM

Absolutely! I think it's imperative for people who have any mild interest at all into Current 93, to just explore their discography a bit and go from there. Lucifer Over London is a great one, but not a "good" representation of Current 93 as a whole, but if that's your liking, like it is mine, then I'd highly recommend that SixSixSix SickSickSick comp, as it gives a nod to the more guitar experimentation. It's kind of like that with a lot of bands and projects. Like if someone asked me what's the go to Iron Maiden album, my answer all day is going to be Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son...that album got a lot of hate in it's day from what I've gathered, however it's by far the most interesting Iron Maiden album in my opinion, despite it's progressive tendencies. I think Current 93 could be viewed that way kind of the same, maybe some people like one side of the project and others like another. It's best to dissect them at your own discretion and find what it is you can like or appreciate.

SixSixSix SickSickSick is definitely more bang for your buck, so to speak.  The whole of Lucifer Over London---and more!