What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnwaveringTide

Got about 20 pages left of The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway, next on my docket is Seize the Day by Saul Bellow. I have been pretty unfocused with my reading this year but Kathy Acker's My Mother: Demonology was enrapturing and would highly, HIGHLY recommend for fans of Bataille and Henry Miller

Commander15

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 03, 2024, 11:06:58 PM
Quote from: Commander15 on April 03, 2024, 10:54:40 PMCurrently i'm reading Eumeswil by Ernst Jünger, Kaputtby Curzio Malaparte and Ride the Tiger by Julius Evola.

Kaputt was good, but very strange.  Definitely an interesting combination of reporting, self-aggrandizement, and hyperbole!

I agree! At times it felt almost like a grotesque fever dream where you couldn't discern the fact from the fiction, i.e. hundreds of frozen horses on the Lake Ladoga, the Jassy pogrom or the Naples bombing scene at the end. There is an strong melancholic undercurrent present in this book that i interpret as an Malaparte's personal sorrow for Europe's state of decline and horrors of WWII.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Commander15 on April 04, 2024, 12:48:37 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 03, 2024, 11:06:58 PM
Quote from: Commander15 on April 03, 2024, 10:54:40 PMCurrently i'm reading Eumeswil by Ernst Jünger, Kaputtby Curzio Malaparte and Ride the Tiger by Julius Evola.

Kaputt was good, but very strange.  Definitely an interesting combination of reporting, self-aggrandizement, and hyperbole!

I agree! At times it felt almost like a grotesque fever dream where you couldn't discern the fact from the fiction, i.e. hundreds of frozen horses on the Lake Ladoga, the Jassy pogrom or the Naples bombing scene at the end. There is an strong melancholic undercurrent present in this book that i interpret as an Malaparte's personal sorrow for Europe's state of decline and horrors of WWII.

There was the sorrow, definitely---but it felt, at times, like there was a bit of glee for himself as well?  Especially in some of the sections most directly dealing with Nazi genocide, where he tries to paint himself as a hero despite doing nothing in reality (as far as I understand, at least).  I would need to reread to be more specific, it's been a few years now.

He reminded me of Celine a bit too, now that I think of it more.

BlackCavendish

Just finished Wilhelm Reich e il segreto dei dischi volanti, which is about Reich's latest years and his "war" against UFOs.
Currently reading David Ulansey's The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World (I'm halfway through and so far is good), next in line is the recently translated (at least in italian) Memoria de la Sangre, Miguel Serrano y la renovación del mito heroico, a book about Miguel Serrano written by his personal assistant Carlos Videla.

lacross

Exhibition by Kevin Cousins. I'm only a little less than half finished so far. I can't recommend it. It has plenty of errors and overall, it's not very well written.