Megaptera

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, February 12, 2013, 11:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusfaggotchrist

now I downloaded the compilation from the Cold Meat webstore, give me two more essential records by him that are must haves. I'll probably order them from Crucial Blast if nothing else. I need something of his that's heavy on the industrial side of things, evoking spectres of Godflesh and Einsturzende Neubauten.

jesusfaggotchrist

live recordings are acceptable, as well.

xdementia

Beyond the Massive Darkness 2xCD
Curse of the Scarecrow CD

are great starting points. One of my favorite acts ever.

post-morten

I have pretty much every release except for some semi-private early tapes, and second the vote for Curse Of The Scarecrow. It contains some of my favorite Megaptera tracks. For the harsher, more grating side of Megaptera, Electronic Underground is a good bet too. Originally a tape on Contagious Orgasm's SSSM label, how industrial is that not? If you want a live album I'd go for Disturbance Ritual, since Live in Rostock suffers from terribly flat sound.

Black_Angkar

One of my favorite acts as well. "Beyond the massive darkness", "You will never survive this nightmare" and "Staring back at you" are all excellent collections of material.   

Zeno Marx

I never found Disease to be topped.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Mikerdeath

Quote from: Black_Angkar on February 15, 2013, 11:47:11 PM
"You will never survive this nightmare"  

This album is very good, the material seems to reveal itself with repeated listens and I keep going back to it. Gripping death industrial.

Manhog_84

Megaptera has been on my playlist a lot lately. It's one of those bands I used to foolishly dislike as being too cheesy, but later grown to appreciate. Cheese? Yes, but also uniquely morbid atmospheres to dwell on. I'm not the biggest fan of those first two tapes though, they are ok but more leaning towards the rhythms. Urashima reissue of Near Death looks great, but with current vinyl prices, maybe not that great. Releases thereafter are more atmospheric. The recipe for many of the tracks is quite an audacious thing to pull off: a random horror movie scene playing in the background and dark ambient/death industrial sounds on top of it. In case of Megaptera, it works. Movie influences are clear on Passage/Passage to Your Evil Dreams, that sounds very similar to Brad Fiedel's theme to Serpent and the Rainbow.

Hardly any other band actually sounds similar, especially the 90's releases. There probably are some, but I have not really searched. On the other hand, how to recreate something similar without sounding like a copycat? Beyond the Massive Darkness 2xCD, Disease, especially that last longer track, Squire goes insane, Curse of the Scarecrow, Staring Back at You...all excellent. Bandcamp page says Curse of the Scarecrow is 2015 remaster, but it's not released on cd after 90s. Maybe someday.

FallOfNature

First Archon Satani is a good companion piece to Megaptera. A little more subtle, but has the sinister atmosphere, rhythms, etc.

Phenol

Archon Satani were great at times. Same with AS offshoot Inanna. Both have boring moments but also moments where they can rival any dark rittual ambient/death industrial act. "Storm I-III" by Inanna is an unsung master piece in my opinion. As for Megaptera I think I like everything they've done and own all of it except for the early tapes. They have some cheesy horror movie samples, sure, but those are accompanied by some churning industrial rhythms, brooding soundscapes and nice melodic parts that never dominate but support the dark atmosphere perfectly. I guess the early-mid '90s albums are seen as the classics, but somehow the "Beautiful Chaos" EP from '98 is most often my go to release when in mood for some Megaptera.