Russian electronic, experimental, etc?

Started by Jaakko V., April 14, 2010, 12:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potier

Quote from: Jnz on March 16, 2016, 05:32:33 PM
QuoteArturas Bumsteinas
Gintas K
Those guys are from Lithuania! :)

Baltic states - soviet union - close enough ;-)

Bob

I am trying to rember the name of a composition or symphony maybe sombody here knows it ? I read about it in an interveiw somewhere but cant recall where. Anyway it is perhaps a symphony but it is played with military artillary that is cannons riffles syrens etc are the actuall instruments I think it was supposed to be played in the black sea off Crimea useing lots of ships but was never preformed however some sort of version of it exists. Anyone know what it is ?

Bob

Theodore

Currents Of Death - Cretodoh! CD is not bad at all. PE recordings from 1992, released by Provoloka label. Worth listening.
Sample : https://youtu.be/O6ffhTOmYQY
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

PTM Jim

Sirotek.
Sounds like a grimier Skin Graft. Some of the best slow HN I've heard.

Marko-V

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 19, 2010, 10:43:47 AM
I think I have mentioned it on other forums, but back in the early 90's, from Finnish TV came document about Russian industrial & experiemental music. At least at that time I didn't know any of the bands. Now I can't remember who was in it. There was a lot of footage, interviews,.. atmosphere was perhaps more into TG/TestDept/Cabaret Voltaire/SPK type of industrial and there was stories about the pioneers of scene who put out reel-to-reel full lengths.

I still have that document transfered to dvd. The document is "The Double - Russian industrial music and low-tech videos" made by Mika Taanila and Anton Nikkilä. It's mostly a compilation of videos with a short document part in the beginning. Musicwise there's not much to remember, ranging from poor man's Swans to some strange 'arte-shit', so the old video footage is much more interesting.

Here is link to trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9MfDNVkeZM&feature=youtu.be

Here is a text from program notes:

"This music video compilation made by two young Finns captures perfectly the zeitgeist of the early 1990's on both sides of the temporarily fallen Iron Curtain. On the Russian side there are the omnipresent ruins of the old industrial society and a prevailing sense that anything absurd or ridiculous may happen at any moment; on the Finnish side the postmodernist juxtaposition of incongruous materials such as early, wild Russian TV ads with interviews of underground video-makers, as well as low tech aesthetics and production methods seen as a liberation from centralized control. What brought them together was atemporary breakdown of hierarchies in the mainstream media – the Finnish national TV partially financed this hunt for deeply untraditional amateurs, while the Russian national TV provided editing equipment and plenty of nationwide air time for these outsider auteurs and their videos with titles like "Fucking Electrisity" (sic), "Brain Parasites","Captivated by the Handicapped", or "You Must Forget Everything".
1. Pusk: V plenu u invalidov
Captivated by the Handicapped, 1993
2. Iskusstvennoye dykhaniye: Vanya (Revolyutsiya)
Vanya (Revolution), 1992
3. Microsurgery: Amalgama
Amalgam, 1989
4. Vadim Koshkin & Nikolai Shiroky: Parazity mozga
Brain Parasites, 1993
5. Notchnoi Prospekt: Abyss
directed by Konstantin Bozhiev, 1989/1993
6. Elena Nabel: Je voudrais me taire1992
7. Igor Verichev: Vy dolzhny vsyo zabyt
You Must Forget Everything, directed by Sergey Shutov, 1992
8. Velvet & Velvet Dolls: Skazka
Fairytale, 1992
9. Laboratoriya merzloty: Svet v kontse tunnelya
Light at the End of the Tunnel, fragment from a pirate cable tv show, directed by Kirill Preobrazhensky and Alexey Belyayev, 1991
10. Currents of Death: Fucking Electrisity
directed by Vadim Koshkin, 1993
11. Stuk bambuka v XI chasov: Snezhnyi myod
Snow Honey, 1992
"

Marko-V

Bardoseneticcube + Noises of Russia: New Orthodox Line CD is brilliant stuff. Mixture of slowly building noise wall and orthodox chanting is a marriage made in heaven. Noises of Russia's Gosha (aKa 1g0g) took that route with even better results in 'All Sacred' CDr, which goes easily to my top 10 noise albums of all time.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Marko-V on March 25, 2016, 11:43:07 PM
Bardoseneticcube + Noises of Russia: New Orthodox Line CD is brilliant stuff. Mixture of slowly building noise wall and orthodox chanting is a marriage made in heaven. Noises of Russia's Gosha (aKa 1g0g) took that route with even better results in 'All Sacred' CDr, which goes easily to my top 10 noise albums of all time.

Thanks for the recommendations, really like this stuff. Marriage made in heaven- good choice of words! Also grabbed and enjoyed the other two items from the New Orthodox Line bandcamp, though these were less noise-laden, more in the ambient and collage veins respectively.

This combination- orthodox chanting, or any of the more melodramatic-type religio chanting, plus noise seems to be a genre worthy of its own thread. I've been tempted to start one but have resisted thus far. About the only reason I'd see this not catching on as a genre, or whatever, would be the simple fact that the chanting already sounds great on its own. Any noise efforts to feature only a minimum of processing might appear like cheating. (In the ritual-ambient vein I'd mention Sigillum S Bardo Thos-Grol, a personal favorite but also not far removed from recordings one might encounter of Tibetan ritual music, those of the Gyuto monks in particular. In their defense, Bardo was originally issued as a "private edition".)
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Marko-V

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on March 30, 2016, 03:56:26 AM
This combination- orthodox chanting, or any of the more melodramatic-type religio chanting, plus noise seems to be a genre worthy of its own thread. I've been tempted to start one but have resisted thus far. About the only reason I'd see this not catching on as a genre, or whatever, would be the simple fact that the chanting already sounds great on its own. Any noise efforts to feature only a minimum of processing might appear like cheating. (In the ritual-ambient vein I'd mention Sigillum S Bardo Thos-Grol, a personal favorite but also not far removed from recordings one might encounter of Tibetan ritual music, those of the Gyuto monks in particular. In their defense, Bardo was originally issued as a "private edition".)

Talking about Russian electronics and 'religious noise', there is also this:
https://www.discogs.com/artist/748949-Irmologion

And a little bit of shameless self-promotion:
https://archive.org/details/La-Musique_Concrete_part_1

metalpunk

Pretty old video (1993!) - Russian industrial music @ YLE TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3XgljIWew
There is a lot of rare stuff!

Duncan

Apologies if this has already been mentioned or is only semi relevant.

One of my most treasured finds of recent months is the FUNKED UP EAST YouTube channel.

Besides being a treasure trove of obscure jazz, prog and psych from former soviet countries and beyond, there is a wealth of experimental, concrete, synthesiser & avant garde stuff to be found spanning decades.

Go and shove that into YouTube and enjoy.

NO PART OF IT

I like MAAAA.

And from the "Extreme Music from Russia" comp, I enjoy everything on it, but what stands out there is Volga, I followed up on their work, haven't been disappointed. 

I.M.M.U.R.E. is Russia's answer to COIL and Current 93 at times, but with his own style.  I really enjoy his work, he has his own take on the "psychedelic electronics" of the late 90s. 

Kshatriy does some really excellent dark ambient/drone.

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com