Live noise!

Started by Mattias G, April 22, 2010, 01:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKHE

QuoteI think most of plane companies are about to start adding fees to luggage.

Yeah, when we were flying from Belgium (Brussels Airlines sth?) a few months ago, out of the blue they wanted us to pay an additional 70 euro (!!!) for each of our check-in instruments (that is, two guitars, one bass + three drum boxes) - they supposedly had some extra fee just for instruments. Don't ask me why, but I guess we were lucky not to know about it so the woman behind the desk let the instruments pass.
Though I guess that's not really a problem when travelling with a bag of cords, samplers, tapes & pedals, which they would hardly recognize as traditional instruments unless they open it.

Mattias G

I resurrected this tread again and i wan´t to know if any of you who have flied to USA to play could give some advice. Are they cool with the gear if you have it in the hand baggage? I am thinking of the security and that stuff. Have been many times in USA and they always wanna check my vinyl records etc. So what will they do when i have some modified tape players and pedals etc that looks weird in their eyes? Do they even care?
What more should you think of?

HONOR_IS_KING!

Playing live is semi nerve wrecking for me but absolutely worth it.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

ConcreteMascara

When I went through JFK last winter with my gear in my backpack they made me take all of it out, put it in a separate bin for the x-ray and that was pretty much it. They asked me what it was but didn't do some hardcore search or anything. Biggest problem I'd say is the weight. My backpack straps nearly tore off. I'd just say figure on an extra 5 minutes at security.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

A couple of years ago, I flew with a small toolbag w/gear inside it. If I can't get everything in something handy & not too heavy then I'm not taking it. It was a mic, cords, a few efx pedals. US Customs wiped it all down looking for bomb residue when I was leaving Canada. I dont' think anyone looked through my stuff going into Canada.

Final 2 taint performances were my best as I finally figured out that rehearsing & have a proper set list works best.

xdementia

Live performances are such an awesome part of noise. If you don't do them, or at least attend them regularly you are really missing out.

I think I started performing noise live just like Mattias G. And I feel the same way as he did, regarding becoming more comfortable with your sounds and realizing that "less is more" sometimes, but also having to capture the attention of the audience as well.

One of the many things I love about live noise performances is you never know what you're going to get. Like Mikko said, there are so many different ways to create sound and do your set, but I have seen more industrial related bands use junk metal and strange objects successfully before. I think using a mixture of sampling, electronics, and physical "playing" is the way to go. But I tend to have a number of 3-8 tracks which I can perform at one time and when I find myself playing 3 shows in a month I'll do different variations of those tracks. Some of them only require simply a sampler, others are more complex using live cinderblocks, glass, metal, and homemade instruments. If there's a smaller show that I know won't be well attended and I'm playing it just to be exposed to a different crowd, or as a favor to a friend I might do a simpler set using only synth and mixer. If I'm doing a big show with other acts that I really respect I'll do a newer track that requires a lot more energy. I also sometimes tailor my sets to mix in a little more with the style of the other acts on the show. I was just telling my gf the other night that I really love how I am actually influenced by the acts that I play with now and it's interesting how they can affect my sound.

Sets can also be determined by logistics. When I did my West Coast tour, obviously I couldn't bring materials like glass, stone, metal, machine parts, along with me so I did what I could with my pedals, a small piece of sheet metal, and samplers/synths. I still got a lot of responses to the sets, I think because it had enough of an auditory dynamic.

I think when you have some physical element in your set it's automatically more "accessible" but I personally don't care if it's just a person at a laptop - if it sounds great I am usually really engaged in the set.

bitewerksMTB

I don't perform live & haven't missed a thing...

Bleak Existence

PTM Jim

Live is my favorite medium to listen to noise as well as perform.  I feel I feed off others' energy even though I blackout and everybody is faceless.

HongKongGoolagong

The Smell & Quim show before Xmas was something we all felt a bit unhappy with at the time but watching back it sounds and looks pretty great I think - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCn1_xjBy9g

When semi-improvising a noise set there's always a moment when however drunk you are - and in the case of Smell & Quim, that's usually so drunk we are barely able to stand - you suddenly get the sensation of walking with no solid ground under you: you don't have a fiucking clue what you are doing. It can be a terrible experience if this persists til the end of the set and the audience response is muted. Improv rather than noise, but I've done things with the A-Band that have flopped so badly I've wanted the ground to swallow me up. All worth the risk though for those  magical occasions when intuition and a group mind take over, and it feels like you are guided by some force outside you.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on January 11, 2012, 03:31:30 PM
The Smell & Quim show before Xmas was something we all felt a bit unhappy with at the time but watching back it sounds and looks pretty great I think - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCn1_xjBy9g

In my opinion it sounds and looks very good.