Alga Marghen

Started by heretogo, December 10, 2009, 10:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LocusSolus

Quote from: heretogo on April 07, 2010, 07:41:01 PM
Quote from: LocusSolus on April 01, 2010, 04:52:30 AM
Walter Marchetti – ALL, EVERY RELEASE!!

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. He's one of my top all-time heroes in sound. There's something very unique about his output, at the same time absolutely alien and thoroughly human (heh, don't know how to explain it better... sorry). Often very simple but simultaneously full of inexplainable beauty (and humour!). Like he goes through the whole history of (western?) music and picks up only the very essentials, distills it all into these rough diamonds of sound - with no superfluous parts. Conceptual and yet the pieces stand up perfectly on their own sonic feet. I know I should go more into detail with this, maybe I will re-visit his discs sometime soon and try to come up with a better analysis...

Has anybody seen his installations (often based around the piano as an object) or live performances? All I've seen are pictures but they look absolutely mesmerizing!

Being a great admirer of Cage in combination with various experimental, noise etc music I admire Walter Marchetti very much as well. There are several aspects of his music that resemble Cage's ideas and their meeting at the end of the fifties had a huge influence on him (and his pal Juan Hidalgo). The sounds are free to speak for them selves, a sort of still life. I've got two books on him. One came along the De Musicorum Infelicitate 2xLP set. The other was published on the Canarian Islands I think. I haven't seen him live. Wpuld be a treat. the latter have a lot of photos from installations, concerts, his works in ZAJ etc.

Ulmer

Quote from: heretogo on April 07, 2010, 07:41:01 PM
Quote from: LocusSolus on April 01, 2010, 04:52:30 AM
Walter Marchetti – ALL, EVERY RELEASE!!

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. He's one of my top all-time heroes in sound...

Has anybody seen his installations (often based around the piano as an object) or live performances? All I've seen are pictures but they look absolutely mesmerizing!

Happened upon one of his artworks (a deconstructed violin in a glass tank half-full of water) in Istanbul recently.

An excellent exhibition catalogue of his is available at ubu.com:

http://www.ubu.com/historical/marchetti/index.html