New good harsh noise?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 12, 2011, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baglady

Lasso Wendy is excellent. I think Fife Roping might be the best, but you can't go wrong. Dogs In The Moonlight is him and another great chap. Hope the project still lives. Really strange sound. The second tape suffers from poor dubbing, but the first and self-titled cassette almost made me bite my own tongue off.

absurdexposition

Lasso Wendy is excellent. Liam's a good guy. Saw him as Lindow Man when he lived here in Montreal for a few months (there is a Lindow Man / Taskmaster split tape limited to 4 copies as a result of that as well). Been trying to get a Wendy tape out of him for a while but I think his priorities are elsewhere at the moment. Hope he returns to the fold before too long!

I'll toss in Kiran Arora. I haven't heard everything and I guess it's a 7 year old project at this point, but his track on the recent "The Silent Continuity of All Existence With Which the Victim is Now One" CD-R on Prose Nagge was one of my favourites.

Also, Kyle Flanagan.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

[MBD]

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 15, 2020, 03:26:48 AMAlso, Kyle Flanagan.

Glad he got a mention, Kyle never seems to disappoint.

I'd also like to mention Sects from Providence, he hardly has any recordings with the most notable one being a tape for Oxen, but his live performances are always a treat.  For those in this thread who saw him at Summer Scum last year, you know what I mean.
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 15, 2020, 03:26:48 AM
I'll toss in Kiran Arora. I haven't heard everything and I guess it's a 7 year old project at this point, but his track on the recent "The Silent Continuity of All Existence With Which the Victim is Now One" CD-R on Prose Nagge was one of my favourites.

Just to build on this and even though he isn't "new", the little I've heard from the artist is clearly a notch above the rest. I scored a copy of "Glare" from Skeleton Dust recently and it's a home run. Also the latest "Fever Swamp" on New Forces was equally as good. Flying below the radar, and I can't pinpoint in words why it's better than others, just one of those you need to hear it to believe it artists. If I had to compare, in some sort of similar vein to Worth or Hostage Pageant in style and execution.

Potier

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on May 21, 2020, 04:00:45 AM
Quote from: absurdexposition on May 15, 2020, 03:26:48 AM

Just to build on this and even though he isn't "new", the little I've heard from the artist is clearly a notch above the rest. I scored a copy of "Glare" from Skeleton Dust recently and it's a home run. Also the latest "Fever Swamp" on New Forces was equally as good. Flying below the radar, and I can't pinpoint in words why it's better than others, just one of those you need to hear it to believe it artists. If I had to compare, in some sort of similar vein to Worth or Hostage Pageant in style and execution.

Kiran Arora material I have heard is definitely great. Unique and radical approach in a sense. The Pet Sounds tape he did with Kenny from Scathing is also wicked - damn...that was already about 3 years ago now.

Last few days I have been hitting the No Rent bandcamp - the "Delaware" tape by Jacob Winans is a great listen. Great mixture of textures, short field recording interludes, weird stereo effect pulse sounds. Noticed today also that he has a forthcoming release on Flag Day.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Potier on May 21, 2020, 11:52:16 PM
Last few days I have been hitting the No Rent bandcamp - the "Delaware" tape by Jacob Winans is a great listen. Great mixture of textures, short field recording interludes, weird stereo effect pulse sounds. Noticed today also that he has a forthcoming release on Flag Day.

Just sampled the latter this morning and it certainly lives up the ah rather familiar-sounding label blurb courtesy Snake In the Garden chap, re- Textural obliteration and amplified apathy, ripping through the frequency spectrum from ear to ear.

edit
Quote from: Baglady on May 13, 2020, 06:40:32 PM
Isn't new good harsh noise covered rather well in the playlist thread? Either way... Heat Signature, Worth, Wince and Body Carve have stood out for me the last couple of years, each in their own way.

146 pages since May 2016. Click back to numero 382 and get reading!
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

While I'm here, how bout Izumi Kawasaki?

https://gerpfastkolektif.bandcamp.com/album/moromi

Not sure if this is pushing any envelopes but would certainly seem to be pushing all the right buttons, tickling the correct boxes, etc. Precise pointy-headed incisions punching through scrunch-mouthed squealies 'n spiced with considered sprinklings of metal-on-metal thwack. Seems somewhat schooled in the Endo-isms, which might work for an artist that has performed (in a er painting capacity) with Endo.
And take you for a drag

PedestrianOrgans

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 23, 2020, 11:42:57 AM
Seems somewhat schooled in the Endo-isms, which might work for an artist that has performed (in a er painting capacity) with Endo.

I feel like most of current Japanoise is influenced/has worked with Endo. You could call it Endocore.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 23, 2020, 04:39:28 AM
Quote from: Potier on May 21, 2020, 11:52:16 PM
Jacob Winans is a great listen. Great mixture of textures, short field recording interludes, weird stereo effect pulse sounds. Noticed today also that he has a forthcoming release on Flag Day.

Just sampled the latter this morning and it certainly lives up the ah rather familiar-sounding label blurb courtesy Snake In the Garden chap, re- Textural obliteration and amplified apathy, ripping through the frequency spectrum from ear to ear.

And just to be clear here, this is not just a good thing, but possibly the thing. (I'm riffiing here off an ongoing line I rant on about from time to time, most recently in the Levels of chaos thread... and like clockwork duly delete the next morning, but uh...)

Textural obliteration, or whatever you want to call it, is the thing that consistently elevates the cut-up shit. Well it elevates all kinds of shit, but as far as the hard-panners I think it can be critical. This goes back to SICKNESS, before whom cut-ups did not quite convince. People would go on and on about Masonna and I would not disagree. I would like the Maso, even love the Maso, but come the end of, say, Mademoiselle Anne Sanglante the 'holes would demand their due and proper purification in the form of say, Quietus. And then. SICKNESS brought frequency rippping textures so convincing that it frankly would hardly matter if the shit were cut-up or not. It just fucking rrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiippppppppped. SICKNESS is actually the one that helped me appreciate all manner of cut-up, texturally obliterating or not, and helped ensure for me at least that Masonna's place in the celestial spheres is secure.

<note to future early morning self. don't delete me.>

Quote from: PedestrianOrgans on May 24, 2020, 05:09:28 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 23, 2020, 11:42:57 AM
Seems somewhat schooled in the Endo-isms, which might work for an artist that has performed (in a er painting capacity) with Endo.

I feel like most of current Japanoise is influenced/has worked with Endo. You could call it Endocore.

Admittedly the same could probably be said for just about any hard-panner on the planet. It would be hard not to be influenced in one way or another.

I may have been joking there with the aside about painting performances, but as far as the JP contingent there might actually be a few things which give Kawasaki an Endocore edge over the Spore Spawns, scums, Yasuhito Fujinamis and even the Kazuma Kubotas-

- the somewhat spare, measured metals whanging on metal
- the more focused or condensed sound palate
- the pointy-headed spiky-ness of the piercing screech

Not to say any of this is better, just more Endo-like (to this admittedly fucked ear). Almost like what might be ear-visioned if you combined the classic hard-panned Endo with the monophonic improvisations of recent vintage.
And take you for a drag

PedestrianOrgans

That makes a lot of sense. I also think a lot of those projects have their own flavors, especially ones like Linekraft and Wolf Creek, even if the Endo influence is still there.

cr

Many thanks for introducing Wolf Creek and Izumi Kawasaki in this thread, didn't know about them before! Great to see and hear new (and unknown to me) Japanese Noise.

eyesofsatan

New and not so new:

Blind Date
Jackson-Pratt
Kiran Arora
Cost
Star
Kyle Flanagan

Strangecross

Neithan

Kiran Arora - Fever Swamp
Adriano Vincenti - Marcire