LEIF ELGGREN

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 25, 2010, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

One of those guys who I always was cautious. Sounds like "real artists", so can't be good. Well, not entirely true. My experience with his works are very limited, but someone recommended TALKING TO A DEAD QUEEN cd, and that's what I bought. Over 1 hour long live piece, including few minutes of spoken word of Paul Pignonm and followed with very nice and highly real sounding... drone? It is the cu-pile of 3760 x 12mm connected to amplifier. Resonance. That's what it is. You'll be just listening amplified vibration of metal object. No junk trashing, no psychedelic effect chains. It is simple, effective and to the point. Would be recommended for listening pretty hi-fidelity ultimate minimalist drone, which still carries the great texture of physical sound.

So.. what next?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

catharticprocess

Leif Elggren, Per Jonsson & Kent Tankred "UGN MAT" CD - amazing. I'll take this "real artists... can't be good" over 99% of the noise and PE garbage that's been released in the last 12 years.

Strömkarlen

I second UGN. The LP is amazing and you really know where P2 are coming from when you see and hear it.

Remembering seeing Guds Söner (Sons of God), Leif and Kent Tankred,  a couple of years ago when they where moving a metal ring across an amplified wire for hours. It was like a never ending drone noise curling match. If it had been louder it would have been mindblowing now it was just great. 

heretogo

Safe recommendations are indeed the UGN LP / UGN MAT CD and most of the Sons of God CDs. Less about the concept, more about the sound. Me, I love a good conceptual piece and enjoy most of his solo discs as well, but other people's tastes can be quite different... Anyway, one of my all time favorites is the Two Thin Eating One Fat w/ Thomas Liljenberg, something very unique and strange recorded on that one (lots of spoken word, beware! hah!).
He's a difficult one to recommend without going into details about the albums. No time now for more indepth analysis, maybe later...

Mattias G

UGN MAT CD and i must recommend Skull Defekts/Sons of God Received in Studio Dental Gothenburg cd. Deep and cold drones from the Skull Defekts i assume with Sons of good playing rakes that have contact mikes on them, like some of their recent live shows. Great and dynamic stuff!

heretogo

Just listening to 45 minutes from underneath the beds CD. Somehow I've been neglecting this one, maybe listened only once before. Stupid me, this is actually one of his best works!
First track starts with a monologue, delivered as he had a hot potato in his mouth. Then the rumble and clatter begin. Develops into very nice analogue drones, not super-noisy but deeply resonating and quite well recorded. Not minimal at all, there's lots of variation and things keep on tranforming back and forth. The original cd-r on Absurd consisted only of this one 45 min track. The reissue on Utan titel includes six tracks more. Effected/echoed spoken word rants, bass-heavy disturbing drones and simple & tactile noise patterns.
This one is very easy to recommend! And as always with Elggren, after a while the connection between the sounds and the often cryptic/absurd sleeve notes starts to make sense. Or maybe it's just my imagination, who cares.

Jarl

I  think TALKING TO A DEAD QUEEN is a masterpiece, almost the  perfect drone record, but it isn't drone. I like the thing when thee appels fall aparts so the bed falls to the flour, you will hear it

IS THERE A SMEEL ON THE OTHER SIDE? has Leif reading almost the whole time, It's 65 min long, but as Leif reads there is always music, cut up or just strange, But I like it

EXTRACTION- starts very static, but get lees static the longer it goes, it's a powerfull experience- I like it, This and the one above is released on Firework edition records

Guds Soner /The sons of god- Proclamation has the band speaking or so, but the best is the last 30 minutes, with banging on beds/plates etc. Another Sons of God is THE OBJECT, it's 50 minutes of contact-mics atached on MS-STUBBNITS ( the bote where there use to be concerts. I havn't time to
write  what the meaning of these cds are, I purly listed the music, both these cds are on Firework edition