Slogun.

Started by RyanWreck, May 30, 2010, 07:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prolapsedlielack

Never noticed this thread before. John is one of my PE heroes and I can't describe the atmosphere he captures, especially on a track like "This Is It, Right Here". His interview on Noisextra was a great listen to, especially hearing him talk about his love of new wave/goth/post punk since it's a similar background to mine. Adds an extra level of connection in my eyes.

FreakAnimalFinland

One thing, I have talked many times, but not sure if on forum, was Slogun live sets about 20 years ago. When he started to play live, it was perhaps the most active live artists from perspective of someone who did shows around the world. Lots of European dates, Japanese gigs, etc. He'd play France, UK, Germany etc, and also having friends coming along, Control, Sickness, etc..  Most of american power electronics, you could never see over here, but Slogun is something I have seen many times.
The best of the shows were able to capture this menacing vibe, that very few artists do. It wasn't about something ACTUALLY happening, but the that menacing feeling that something is about the happen. Even if it would be artists walking square shape path around the audience. Not just circling around the crowd, but making sharp 90* angle turn and almost like audience would be in cage, and waiting what the hell is about to happen. And this vibe is way more adrenaline rush than kind of "pushing audience PE group hug", heh..  He would could just keep audience wait - minimal noise-drone electronics blasting on PA, and then just eventually starting to do vocals. Not really "a show", but ability to get audiences full attention.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tisbor

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 22, 2024, 10:15:31 AMOne thing, I have talked many times, but not sure if on forum, was Slogun live sets about 20 years ago. When he started to play live, it was perhaps the most active live artists from perspective of someone who did shows around the world. Lots of European dates, Japanese gigs, etc. He'd play France, UK, Germany etc, and also having friends coming along, Control, Sickness, etc..  Most of american power electronics, you could never see over here, but Slogun is something I have seen many times.
The best of the shows were able to capture this menacing vibe, that very few artists do. It wasn't about something ACTUALLY happening, but the that menacing feeling that something is about the happen. Even if it would be artists walking square shape path around the audience. Not just circling around the crowd, but making sharp 90* angle turn and almost like audience would be in cage, and waiting what the hell is about to happen. And this vibe is way more adrenaline rush than kind of "pushing audience PE group hug", heh..  He would could just keep audience wait - minimal noise-drone electronics blasting on PA, and then just eventually starting to do vocals. Not really "a show", but ability to get audiences full attention.

Yes! I think John is the only one I've seen that could convey that kind of menacing, uneasy feeling without actually doing much. Even just the way he looks at the crowd, physical posture etc, just works.
I also like that if you actually manage to listen to what he's saying in live performances it's mostly self loathing, depressing, even pretty intimate stuff, almost the opposite of what could be expected from the atmosphere of the show. Of course in between confrontational provocation of the audience and spitting. Definitely one of "our" best to ever perform live.

cantle

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 22, 2024, 10:15:31 AMOne thing, I have talked many times, but not sure if on forum, was Slogun live sets about 20 years ago. When he started to play live, it was perhaps the most active live artists from perspective of someone who did shows around the world. Lots of European dates, Japanese gigs, etc. He'd play France, UK, Germany etc, and also having friends coming along, Control, Sickness, etc..  Most of american power electronics, you could never see over here, but Slogun is something I have seen many times.

Saw one of those UK shows- fucking good night- those were the days....

Bleak Existence

Is live set at Tesco GBA! NYC 2002 was like that i was there to witness it all.