PAIN JERK

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 19, 2015, 10:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

From Spite topics:

PAIN JERK "Greater Curvate" tape
1998 Pain Jerk is pretty flawless if you appreciate fast and dynamic harsh noise. This is less about loops and more of simply straight forward blasting of noise. There are few odd moments where behind layer of sharp noise is actually drum machine beat. Not like techno, but almost like marching drums! I recall talking with mr. Gomi when he said he tried to listen through his massive archives of mastertapes for potential CD box anthology, but concluded that all tapes include too many weak moments.
Of course one could admit that it's not all pure gold here. It appears like he did long studio-live session and then it was published as tape. Barely cut & edited. But this is also what makes tape very nice to listen to. It has its ups and downs which gives it very relaxed/natural flow. Not his best, but 90's Pain Jerk is 90's Pain Jerk! Never bad.

Yesterday was blasting PAIN JERK "V" tape. While I rate possibly highest his "Trashware" CD, many of the tapes don't really lose much. V is pure gold from start to finish. As opposed to tape on Spite, this never has really any weak moments. Only disadvantage for my personal taste would be abundance of short loops and that being this good, makes it predictable. As absurd as it may sound. Routine where short loop hammers on the back and on top is layer of active free flowing noise is certainly among basic methods of almost any noise maker, yet Pain Jerk is so good when noise just flows forward and always moves to something greater. Loudly dubbed chrome tapes probably adds bunch of saturation & distortion to final sound, which makes tape almost ideal format for Pain Jerk.

First I heard was Pain Jerks japanese language tape, AMP label 002, from 1993. Got copy of it as tape trade from Japanese guy I was trading with and was blown away. I never had urge to collect all, but if there would be possibility to get some without drastically overpaying, I would get it. "Trashware" CD on Pure/RRR came out quite early too. 1995. It is more dense, layered and complex compared to some material. Intensity of CD is revealed when you dare to blast it LOUD. It is missing the extra saturation and punch tape format often adds, but belongs to my absolute Pain Jerk favorites.

I wonder if anyone ever made comprehensive report what type of noise all these Pain Jerk releases include? With 80+ releases on his discography, what all would be absolute mandatory? I mean guys, who actually heard at least 20 releases or more, who could genuinely tell difference and not claim the couple releases they heard, are the best. I'm quite confident I could have such number of Pain Jerk in my shelves, but can't quite convince myself to be able to make statements of his masterworks beyond what was just said.

I remember when "Spitfire" LP came, I thought instead of this tape as LP, one could have basically picked any PJ tape. Not that it would be bad, just that reason for that particular tape being reissued, didn't seem clear. Also lots of short loops, but heavy and brutal sound.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

acsenger

I got the Trashware CD the other day and it's solid Japanese noise. I've never heard anything else by Pain Jerk. It's one of those bands that have so many releases that it's quite daunting to start exploring their discographies -- especially when, as implied above, a lot of it sounds similar. A few recommendations would indeed come handy.

Baglady

When I asked around about where to start with Pain Jerk quite a few mentioned the Gallon Gravy CD from 1997. It's a great recording, easily just as good as Trashware in my opinion. But it's quite expensive for some reason. Used copies usually go for 25€ or more.
The LP reissue of Spitfire is not his best, but worth getting. Very cheap and easy to find for a mid 90's Pain Jerk release.

As for later Pain Jerk, the collabs with John Wiese are solid, overall. Especially the Nerima CD on Anoemal.
The collab CD with Rock 'n' Roll Jackie on Second Layer, Super Relaxed, is worth mentioning as well. One of the more disorienting and mindfucking albums I've heard. Absolutely fantastic to these ears, but one shouldn't hope for the usual clean ripping PJ harsh noise. It's chaotic for sure, but not the way one would expect.

If anyone can give some good pointers regarding older yet not too expensive Pain Jerk, I'm all ears. It's quite a jungle, his discography...

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I can recommend
Pain Jerk / Dogliveroil ‎– The Snake Charmer's Beautiful Daughter CD (one of the best noise release in the 90s. in my opinion)

and cassette
Pain Jerk ‎– Great Invisible Crashing

tinnitustimulus

My favorite is the Gallon Gravy CD as well, particularly the Wizelsucht track, but each time I have tried to upload the track a part a get a copyright warning on youtube. Oh well.

The No Fun split with Incapacitants is decent, but I am bias I suppose as I was there to see it. Probably the only noise set I will ever headbang to.

Bloated Slutbag

[fixed]

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 19, 2015, 10:10:15 AM
I wonder if anyone ever made comprehensive report what type of noise all these Pain Jerk releases include?

Around twelve or so years ago I did give this a shot, under a rather loftily titled "Critical Analysis" series. Here now I present the entirety quoted below:

QuoteHere`s the second part in a series which aims to delve a little deeper into the specific sonic nuances of individual harsh noise acts. Because my exposure to any given artist is far from complete, I would encourage others to submit their own contributions, comments, and criticisms.

All noise is subject to the following criteria: harshness, density, rawness, craftsmanship, spasticity, harmonicaness, jenesaisquois. Detailed description of each criterion can be found at the bottom of this post. Note that these criteria refer to HARSH NOISE only. Therefore, noise units which may sound quite harsh by assorted weird-ass music standards may well score very low on the harshness scale because I am comparing them, very strictly, to other HARSH NOISE units.

No other artist is more deserving of a permanent "satisfaction guaranteed" stamped to the skull.

Pain Jerk is probably the most consistently stellar noisician ever to invade the earhole. His shit is at once extremely, painfully harsh and brutal, and exceedingly fast-paced. Rapier precision'd razorsharp assaults composed largely of repeated, repeatedly pounded rapid dynamic shifts, little fits and starts hurtling in sporadic, jagged, blurts. Intensely focused on all-out ear damage, Pain Jerk achieves level of harshness that is probably exceeded only by Incapacitants. (On a harshness scale of 0 - 10, Pain Jerk scores an average of 9.2, which is basically unbelievably fucking harsh.) Unlike Incapacitants, Pain Jerk relies largely on skittering surface movement, slick channel panning, arrhythmical stuttering, and loops a-plenty. Pain Jerk is, therefore, one of the most thoroughly "composed" noisemakers in the field. The sound is highly complex, but, also unlike Incapacitants, seldom dips below the surface, preferring an openly savage ravaging of ear nerve tissue. The shit never gets wanky or unfocused. It stays in your face, constantly pounding the shit out of the nervous system. In terms of technical proficiency Pain Jerk is seldom rivaled, equaling and often surpassing the likes of Merzbow or Killer Bug. "Satisfaction guaranteed" has become synonymous with the Pain Jerk listening experience*.

Rocketry C60 (AMP-02) A

Heh. That's as far as I got. I chucked Pain Jerk out the window and went instead with a run-through of all my Thirdorgan, the preamble to which goes like this:
"All this recent talk of Thirdorgan tours, Thirdorgan good, Thirdorgan bad, Thirdorgan the analog noise maestro turned craptopper, has prompted me to forgo my "analysis" of Pain Jerk and push ahead instead with Thirdorgan."

That was half-true. In all honesty, I was completely defeated by Pain Jerk. You say a lot of it "sounds similar", I say there are only so many words in my vocabulary to re-present what the soundholes report to the tiny brain. But perhaps that was intended, re- this quote from a relatively recent online interview:

QuoteSound is equal to a weapon. Though the sound is very loud, there is no meaning. The sound should so loud that it becomes nonsense. The situation of a sound that is so terribly loud as to abolish all meaning is good.

He talks of loudness, but I think the above could as easily refer to his oeuvre completes. Well that's my excuse anyway. I admit defeat, but not permanent defeat. Someday I'll give it a crack again. Definitely within the next lifetime or so.

In the meantime...

You pretty much can't go wrong with anything through to about the start of 1998, from which point Jerk begins to credit "Metamatic Live Electronics" that can be great when they hit in between sometimes lengthy intervals of miss... the FreakAnimalFinland-mentioned Greater Curvature belongs to this period and rates amont the lower grade Jerk... or maybe "miss" is a tad unfair - "jerking around" might be better descriptor.  Perhaps Gomi was growing wilted of his own shdick, or maybe I just need to go back and give it all a good jerk.

Went back and gave Great Invisible Crashing a good jerking- and it was a lot better than I remember, thank you ImpulsyStetoskopu! Great Invisible I'd misremembered as rather unmemorable, but now I'd posit that I'd just gotten addicted to the heavily saturated sound on Jerk's own AMP label. Here Jerk yanks on the reins a bit, allowing quite the kaleidescopic range of colors to shine with a little more clarity. Not a dull moment.

It may or may not be notable that Great Invisible was recorded in April '96, the same month that produced my very favoritist Jerk offering: Pleonasm. Kind of a return to puritan form a la Trashware, at least insofar as the assorted jerking is kept to a relative minimum, preferring to aim straight for the jugular. Far more explosive and dynamic than Trashware, of course, as befits work from the period but never again- to the best of my knowledge- would Jerk get this stuck this far up the Harsh

It is of course the early sexual experiences that tend to leave the most lasting impressions. Aktion Brut ('95) is that most lasting of early Jerks, invading the soundholes not long after the mentioned Trashware. But where Trashware is more consistent with the earlier, more puritannical Jerks (Foreskin, and the self-[Japanese-]titled AMP-0002), Aktion Brut is filled with considerably more aktion and, er, brut-force. I remember comparing it favorably with Knurl for some strange reason- perhaps in terms of the consistently brut-al overtones, and the marked absence of relent. Knurl's Infraneuroma (also '95) leaps to mind. Two other solids from this period are to be found in the liquescent brutalities of Brutalica and the arid fumes of Loud Electronics For Nude Mobile (which reads like a Merztribute and almost sounds like one at times).

The Snake Charmer's Beautiful Daughter (Jerk parts recorded Sep & Dec '96) is another good call, thanks again ImpulsyStetoskopu, though for me it was most notable for demonstrating just how unmercifully Jerk-san SHITS on Dogliveroil (the only comparable browning from the mid-90s being the Thirdorgan split with Cock ESP, the latter of whose side got taped over with more Thirdorgan!) Jerk is so well produced and composed at this point we are talking "why bother" territory for any would be triers (or was that the point?)

Snake Charmer came out during a period of furious collaboration which produced another favorite- Decollaboration (Feb '96), with source material from Emil Beaulieau. Worshipers of the above-mentioned Pleonasm would definitely appreciate this one- stuck way the fuck up the Harshhole, divested of most of the finer charms to be found in Snake, just utterly ripping all the way through. The 7inch Collaboration with Strict is perhaps the least Jerk-like but remains essential for those inclined to enjoy the prospect of permanent ear damage in the very near term. Closing out the collab period we had the split 7inch with Skin Crime- which is absolutely great but also a personal source of eternal head-slapping. I got the 7inch, but the not the limited box set with additional C48 featuring the missives of Pain Crime and Skin Jerk. Would someone please please please PLEASE reissue this! Don't give a fuck if the masters are gone, will gladly slurp up in whatever form.

Others worthy of mention include Trashware 2 (Dec '96, same month as the FreakAnimalFindland mentioned V), Snuff Electronics (Nov '96) and Savage Extreme (March-April '96... yes, I really love this period!) Trashware 2 is comparable to material from the period, therefore nothing at all like a follow-up to the original Trashware. Except perhaps in one capacity: it is unutterably vicious almost from start to finish, the upper extremes absolutely shredding- better, annihilating- the percussive loop action he would become more and more known for. Snuff Electronics also makes a pretty good go of living up to the name, delivering harshness in a very raw and pointed form. Savage Extreme is like Trashware 2 on steroids, a little more fleshed out and expansive, constantly moving to still greater highs, a very well-rounded listen.

Finally, a word on two relative classics, Cacophony Of A Thousand Pleasures (3xC48 box, June-July '96) and Gallon Gravy (recorded June '97). Cacophony finds Gomi indulging his full array of obsessions, moving from skittering loop-fuck to full on harsh blasting. No single tape from this set is to be ranked among his best, but taken as a whole it is a very nice overview of just what Jerk-sama is all about. Gallon Gravy made a very strong impression on first listen. But here and now, having gone through a number of Jerks, I wouldn't put it above any of the others named in this commentary. It is probably more widely available in any case, even if the price quoted on discogs is a tad steep. (Still, price-wise, absolutely nothing on the one other Jerk I really want- the split with Angel Dust Whore- which, given the recording date of June '97, may be essential for those who dig the GG... now available from discogs for 20,000yen! Perhaps Gomi would approve, re- "there is no meaning...it becomes nonsense...to abolish all meaning is good.")
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

collapsedhole

i would love to read a tape-by-tape analysis of the all the Pain Jerk tapes on AMP.... even more - i would love to actually hear them all! in an era where huge cd-collection box-sets are not an impossibility, i struggle to think of anyone more deserving than PAIN JERK! the titles, the artwork, most importantly THE NOISE - better then Merzbow to these fucked raw ear-holes...

i have not heard 80% of his work but out of all i have the personal favorite release: CACOPHONY OF A THOUSAND PLEASURES - 3x-c48

Bloated Slutbag

I didn't spell it out in my commentary, but part of the point in my obsessive referencing of recording dates is to draw attention to the tiny period of activity which produced the most memorable work (at least for me). This is an artist that has been active in making noise for a very long time now, though there was admittedly a considerable slowing down toward the latter part of the 90s (a tendency mirrored, perhaps, by any number of similarly-minded noisemakers...)
And take you for a drag

terminus01

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 20, 2016, 05:20:06 AM
the split with Angel Dust Whore- which, given the recording date of June '97, may be essential for those who dig the GG... now available from discogs for 20,000yen!

ugh, selling this (and a big chunk of my other PJ tapes ...) is one of my big regrets; would never have sold this if i knew it would be so difficult to re-obtain. i have a memory of this being top-shelf material.

Bloated Slutbag

Pain Jerk / Armenia – Lewd
Shockingly subpar prime-era Pain Jerk ('97). "Summer Shit" and he ain't kidding. The typical Jerk-style lead in, a bit of herkily jerkily, loop-fuck molested by quite solid harsh metal-bashing acoustics, but for the briefest of intervals and then... then.. ten minutes of "when is this (summer) shit going to get going?" Looped analog bloop squelch. Thugga thugga bugga shugga. What to say, the shit goes on, and on, and on. I'm not averse to a bit of stripped down Jerk but this is ridiculous.  It's frankly amazing that I stick it out for the full 22 minute course. Toward the end, things break down to the barest of bare bones, random electro blurts in an abandoned lazer arcade. I'm struggling to find words in support of my hero but I'll manage: if you like your Jerk raw.... ah, fuck it.
Armenia, however. Hallowed fuck, Armenia. Has the shizer ever been this good? Dispensing entirely of the pause-button cutups and venturing straight into pure texture. Texture. That of transistor radio getting slowly flushed down the toilet. Very slowly. Gutterous shit flavors slurping at the curb. Dragged in the filth. Toilet textures of the highest order! And on to "Fuck Ninety Seven!" and for the first time I can actually feel the Macronympha connection apparent. Dense metallic filth bludgeon. Grey and depressing clouds of heavy-metal flatulence. Low-key yet full-flavored filth-heavy heaving of the "no complaints" variety. Textures of an even higher order.

Apologies to this Pain Jerk thread, but...

That Armenia actually saves this split is saying a lot, frankly. Frankly I'm still in shock. On so many levels. Gonna be giving Armenia a lot of much neglected earhole action, that's for starters....
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on March 10, 2016, 04:08:16 PM
Frankly I'm still in shock.

Heh, in the cans is more like it. Replaying this morning and the sentiments hold. Armenia more than adequate to the task of flushing Jerk summer shit out the system.
And take you for a drag

Baglady

Just picked up the Fatamorgana tape for next to nothing (well, $30, but for an AMP tape...). Since I haven't heard much else of his 90's tapes I can't really tell how well it holds up in the bigger picture. But to these ears it's pretty much great all the way through. As noone has mentioned this tape so far, I assume it's standard deal compared to the rest of his AMP series?

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Baglady on March 11, 2016, 11:50:29 AM
Just picked up the Fatamorgana tape for next to nothing (well, $30, but for an AMP tape...). Since I haven't heard much else of his 90's tapes I can't really tell how well it holds up in the bigger picture. But to these ears it's pretty much great all the way through. As noone has mentioned this tape so far, I assume it's standard deal compared to the rest of his AMP series?

It is and it isn't.  It's an early AMP tape and therefore generally good shit. But it also shows a then-newfound interest in analog bloop-loop-squelch and even, unusually, some psych permutations- perhaps as hinted in the title "Fatamorgana". By psych permutations I mean a bit less full-on, less frantic, more breathing space and a flicking on of (relatively limited) echo-effects. Plus bloop-loop-squelch. Some of this comes up in Alchemistry (AMP-11), though I would say Fatamorgama (AMP-12) gets a bit more experimental, or in any case lurches in a few different directions, including bits of harsh acoustics a la Loud Acoustics For Nudemobile (AMP-10) but not really approaching the over-the-top brutality of Aktion Brut (AMP-13). Earlier in the thread I suggest that Loud Acoustics For Nudemobile could pass for tribute to earlier Merz, but both Alchemistry and Fatamorgana could find echos in Merbzow's Spiral Honey (recorded and mixed "Dec 1995 – May 1996", which is probably not long after the recording and release of these two Jerks). Jerk would soon indulge his more experimental psych urges a bit more freely, and I think quite successfully, in his split with Monde Bruits (recorded Jan '96).
And take you for a drag

acsenger

Received the Surreal Grind tape a few weeks ago and listened to it a couple times. It was recorded in 2013 which, according to Discogs, makes it one of the most recent Pain Jerk recordings. Musically, it's a mixed bag: on the one hand, it clearly aims to be more experimental than just another noise tape, but it doesn't fully succeed at being actually good. Side A begins with a loop of a cash register which reappears later on during the track. It's alright for a while but gets slightly annoying fairly quickly and in my view definitely drags on for too long. The rest of the track is basically a full blast of noise. On side B, an EMS Synthi is heavily in focus and while I like the thick sound of it, sometimes the sounds Gomi gets out of the EMS are too quirky and out of place for my taste. In summary, not a bad tape, but it's more of an interesting experiment than a successful one.