PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaakko V.

Anestis Logothetis - Electroacoustic Works (LeCoq 2011)

Highly recommended electroacoustic works from this little lesser known composer. Four tracks including everything from more minimal atmospheric stuff to fast cut-ups, rough proto noise & "junk sound", spoken word, pure electronics, etc. Very, very good.

FreakAnimalFinland

UNCLEAN "manhood" tape
I think much better than split with Lapot. And also different. More crispy high pitch distorted electronics, some vocals, radionoise. Very primitive and quite static, but overall goes well hand in hand with the impressions of earliest Unclean, what reminded me little bit old Consumer Electronics..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Lust

Goatmoon-Tahdon Riemuvoitto

Hmm.. maybe I was expecting too much from this one, acoustic renditions of old songs are good, great even, but I was hoping for them to have vocals also and the two new black metal songs are just a-ok Goatmoon quality. Maybe Goatmoon should do a full album of acoustic songs with vocals and all but all in all they're still the most interesting black metal band in Finland at the moment.

bogskaggmannen

BJÖRN OLSSON "Lite nya melodier" 12"
- Works very good with springtime.

FreakAnimalFinland

OORCHACH "vigilia" tape
I don't know why exactly I didn't get into this project when I first heard it? Especially after the gig in Lithuania, I was just captured on this atmosphere and it made me re-visit some of other works. This new tape on Terror is certainly goodie. Based on hypnotic noise loops that are drenched in droning or atmospheric noise elements. At first it made me think, if JARL would be making decaying tape noise, could it become something like this? Sound quality and tasty textures makes the repeating loop patterns interesting. It avoids being mathematical. Hands-on feel.

e.e.m. "As Father Told.." tape
Damn. The gutter pe goes to level what sounds like boom box recording of live-in-small-room rehearsal of things what brings some vibes of old Consumer Electronics here. Very thin, flat, distant yet at the same time somehow charming. Perhaps it's hardly surprising or distinctive in current flood of nasty noise and gutter pe, but in other hand - it is. Fact that it sounds so far from cheap effects and computer edits, goes beyond the usual distance that artists take... Rubbish, in good way. That is.

online prowler

P-K

slowly going through the Death Squad-reissues....most of it very good imho, pré-vocal/PE Death Squad for shure, the blasting static sometimes reminding me of Eric Lunde.

some cd's are a bit short (<20minutes), but i can respect the different 'album concepts' not being thrown together non one disc.

at 9euro for a real cd in digipack lim.150 i'm not complaining.

Scat-O-Logy

Just ordered the latest Damien Dubrovnik record and decided to spin couple of related records in excitement. Exile was first to go. The record consists of solo recordings of Loke Rahbek who is one half of DD. Very enjoyable synth-driven sounds with rather buried shouted vocals, leaving a lot of room for droning atmospheres to build up. Everything is quite distorted but still in great balance making it possible to hear a lot of different layers which definitely adds up to the overall listening experience. I would prefer some tracks a little longer, after all this is drone (at least in some extent), but I know the format has its limits so I just have to deal with it. Next up was Europa Diary. The sound of Christian Stadsgaard & Loke Rahbek goes in perfect harmony together, absolute bliss to my ears. The record starts with a quite low octave synth piece which develops little by little in its short four minute playtime. Second track is absolute opposite of the first track. The sound isn't as fat as on the first track but rather piercing high frequency synth, making the atmosphere quite aggressive. As the track develops, the distortion kicks in, followed by pleasant melodies giving a nice extra touch to the final piece. And same goes to the side B. First track is a little shorter and calmer where the final track is, yet again, more aggressive and longer in length. Both records are very enjoyable and even though same people are involved, the records have their own qualities. Exile consists mainly of distorted walls of atmospheric synth layers where Europa Diary is definitely more melodic, relying on cleaner synth sounds. Excited to hear the new DD record. It must be GOOD!!!

FreakAnimalFinland

BEING "No Honour among thieves" tape
Fuck... well, those who have read the "new harsh noise topic" may notice how damn late I was to discover this. Not that I wouldn't have it, but that tapes just happened to get buried under lots of incoming tapes and somehow not really standing out visually from everything else to climb on top of "to be listened" piles...
Starts with crackling and very broken fierce electronics and then hits the full on harsh head noise blasting. Sound often so loud/big, that it hardly comes out of speaker. Kind of broken and rugged form of sound what makes this much better than a lot of "clean" harsh noise (weird term, I admit..). Supreme stuff! I wonder how come no label have done BEING LP or CD? Or have they? Maybe I should check discogs if I'm totally out of the loop nowadays....

Scat-O-Logy

Regarding Discogs the tape is actually titled "Battery Cages III" and I also checked the discography, there seems to be only CDr's and bunch of tapes. I'm tempted to check Being out. I might have to order something soon...

FreakAnimalFinland

ah, yes, that's the title...

And more harsh noise of today is:
K2 "quaking earth" tape
First thought that little bit weak compared to Being what just exposed the winning hand, but despite few kind of wanky or weaker moments, there is no doubt that K2 still delivers. At its best, its dynamic, brutal and energy filled harsh noise that offers nothing revolutionary, but still stands out in his own discography quite well! One can appreciate that K2 will not submit into rehashing what he is internationally known for (metal junk harsh noise), but proceeds his artistic vision into new approaches.

Bleak Existence

Bleak Existence - one step forward, two steps back

Ashmonger

Mania - Grim Conditions (C20, Freak Animal): Nice little tape, 4 tracks, don't really know what else to say.

Tourette -  Brûle Mon Ame, Broie Mon Corps; Remodèle-Moi A L'image D'un Chien (CD, Skeleton Dust Recordings/Phage Tapes): Another great Tourette CD (already had the Jardin Du Sommeil... CD). Ambient/Neo-Classical pieces, which are great in itself, torn up with chaotic clear Harsh Noise. Very good.

Phaeton Dernière Danse & Le Syndicat - Théophanie à Visu (CD, Pure): Didn't really like this at first, but after a couple of listens I'm starting to appreciate this. Have to admit that I don't know too much about this kind of Industrial/Experimental music though.

S.E.X. - Blasphemous Noise (CDr): While I don't like too much noisecore, I quite liked what I heard on the Suomi Finland Noisecore compilation. This on the other hand sounds quite different and is the reason why I don't like a lot of noisecore. If noisecore is short outbursts of high energy, I most often feel that energy doesn't reach me because of the very poor sound. I want it to sound like a stomp in your face, but just a short blur doesn't do that for me...

Bleak Existence

Bizarre Uproar -liha evankeliumi

RG

Ke/Hil - Lessons in Brotherly Hate tape
Really great tape. I think I like it more than the album, actually. Sharp, intense live sound and equal or better sound quality than any live G.O. or Anenzephalia material I've heard. Minimal but effective use of samples. Side 1 is good but Side 2 is where this tape really kills. Black Snow into Sine Die is probably my favorite part of the whole recording and the rest of Side 2 just rolls over you in waves until the finale.

Quote from: Ritual on April 05, 2013, 10:39:51 PM
You can definitely tell from the audience noise on the tape that it was a great and appreciated performance. Wish I had been there.

Agreed. I like live recordings with good crowd noise (as long as it doesn't interfere with the music). Makes for a better listen