PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyestrain

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 07, 2016, 06:35:09 PM
Vapaudenristi - 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 Demo Cassettes
This and all of the rest! Honestly on near-daily repeat for the last 12 months. Never tire of it.

Column One "Cindy, Loraine & Hank" (Zoharum/90% Wasser): First listen to this long-running act. Has me giving Zoharum more attention. Really enjoy the filthy moods on both discs. Makes me think of Niellerade Fallibilisthorstar at times.

Undergang "Døden Læger Alle Sår" (Dark Descent/Me Saco Un Ojo): Is this the gutter noise of death metal? I'm in love...

Nový Svět "Mono" (Reue Um Reue): No pun intended, I'm really chuffed by how monosyllabic this whole tape is. Very melancholic but somehow light. For such a massive discography, they've rarely disappointed. Not an utter favorite, but worthy of a ton of replays.

RyanWreck

Quote from: eyestrain on March 07, 2016, 10:27:59 PM

Undergang "Døden Læger Alle Sår" (Dark Descent/Me Saco Un Ojo): Is this the gutter noise of death metal? I'm in love...

That album, and "Til døden os skiller" is really fucking good. You may like some of the bands from this list I threw together; https://rateyourmusic.com/list/RyanWreck/deathpunk___check_description_for_last_update_/

Ash Pool - "For Which He Plies the Lash' - This is when I stopped paying attention to Ash Pool. The last really good Ash Pool was "Saturn's Slave" 7'', imo. It had the many unique qualities I enjoyed about Ash Pool; riff wise it has a proto-Death Metal vibe that reminds me of material like the first 2 Degial releases, and even a little Nunslaughter mixed in with some earlier "Fire Burns in Our Hearts" era Clandestine Blaze, fairly relaxed pacing with very few blasting sections and only very minor hints of the basement noise aesthetics Dom's known best for, namely in the great sexually deviant lyrics and the effected drenched vocals. All gone in favor of blastbeats, tremelo riffing, clean chanting and a dual mix of traditional raspy BM vocals and gutteral sequels. Shit, even the the logo took on a new look that screams mid 90's Europe. How many 2nd wave worship bands do we need? I really hope Ash Pool goes back to the older style if they release a new album.

AMRadioWaveMessage

Pharmakon - Abandon. Good album. Especially Milk Weed. Have read some people not like Pharmakon, because she's too computer-based, but I dig it. I personally don't understand dislike of more computer-based Noise (even though I don't make it that way, myself). It seems computer-based Noise has potential as being the evolution of the genre, but I guess some dislike it, because it blurs  the line into Techn/Dark Rave/Speedcore direction? Noise doesn't need to depend to new technology, but there might be some exploring in the computer-based direction.

Prurient - Blue Rabbit. Good taste, but not heavy enough. Not Power Electronic-y to me, but subtle Noise, and more minimalist. Not my favorite kind of Prurient, but insidious and steathlily dangerous. Still good, but use of Violin and orchestral sounds, kind of flirts with 20th / 21st Classical appeal, which is still good, but not my priority of Noise.

RyanWreck

Quote from: AMRadioWaveMessage on March 08, 2016, 01:00:14 AM
Prurient - Blue Rabbit. Good taste, but not heavy enough. Not Power Electronic-y to me, but subtle Noise, and more minimalist. Not my favorite kind of Prurient, but insidious and steathlily dangerous. Still good, but use of Violin and orchestral sounds, kind of flirts with 20th / 21st Classical appeal, which is still good, but not my priority of Noise.

Well considering it's not a Prurient album that may be why it's not your "favorite kind of Prurient". I think you downloaded a bad tag. https://www.discogs.com/Sutcliffe-Jugend-Blue-Rabbit/release/3433647

AMRadioWaveMessage

Yeah, had a feeling that I mixed up the names. I expected someone to post, telling me so. I sometimes confuse those two.

martialgodmask

Pharmakon - Abandon. Good album. Especially Milk Weed. Have read some people not like Pharmakon, because she's too computer-based, but I dig it. I personally don't understand dislike of more computer-based Noise (even though I don't make it that way, myself). It seems computer-based Noise has potential as being the evolution of the genre, but I guess some dislike it, because it blurs  the line into Techn/Dark Rave/Speedcore direction? Noise doesn't need to depend to new technology, but there might be some exploring in the computer-based direction.

I could be quite wrong, but I don't think Pharmakon is remotely "computer-based" so I'm slightly bemused by this.

Regardless, it is a very good album.

eyesofsatan

Quote from: martialgodmask on March 09, 2016, 01:04:25 AM

I could be quite wrong, but I don't think Pharmakon is remotely "computer-based" so I'm slightly bemused by this.

Regardless, it is a very good album.

You are correct, definitely not 'computer-based'

AMRadioWaveMessage

I'm not sure what equipment she uses; I'm just going by claims I've read from others. They could be wrong, but I can see why some think she sounds very computer oriented.
The droning effect, in particular, on Milk Weed.

Good album indeed.

When it comes to Female Noise musicians, though, Puce Mary is more to my tastes.

FreakAnimalFinland

I would guess it is quite irrelevant what one uses. More relevant what is achieved? Lack of computer doesn't mean that things couldn't sound like it.
A lot of gadgets, really are just "computers" of some sort. It's not tubes and wires, amplifiers and magnetic tapes, but simply ones and zero's all the way. I don't object to it. Pharmakon sounds most often very clean. I assume this is the intention and not only result of gear what is used.

Talking about non-clean sounding stuff...

EROS 4x compilation tape
A Dear Girl Called Wendy
3 years old release already?! Fuck! Box barely takes advantage of its size. Thick vinyl case with four tapes. So, 4xC-30. It's good length theoretically. But seems kind of waste to have 2 hours of music spread over so many cassettes. And instead of large inserts or booklet, there are tiny tape size one sided cards which hold barely any information. Just band name and track title. This could have been printed in body-prints of tape. Artwork also barely interesting. But what counts, is of course interesting line-up. Each tape has one country. Tongue Knax / Mordant Karma from japan offers harsh noise in highly textured and fast paced, but "one idea" type of form. Very good, nevertheless! Blodvite / Arv & Miljö, well, lets say SWEDISH TAPE NOISE! Isn't it still better than talk about hipsters, heh.. Broken sounding electronics, magnetic tape artifacts, well composed material what has start and finnish. Arv & Miljö also offer 3 pieces which all are distinctively different. Good stuff. Endless Sea / Elisha Morningstar are much less interesting here. ES does pretty decent simple live-on-tape harsh noise. Skin Graft / Developer shows that despite these americans are generally pretty good, they are not on same level as the best of the artists on this compilation. I like Developers side more than many of his other stuff, though. It at least maintains the strength through entire side!

V/A TAPE WORKS IV tape
Hästen & Korset
Ochu, Mikkel Rorbo, Martin Herterich, Ornaments and more. Lots of swedish tape noise, hehe, but I assume also guys from other countries.. Some of material perhaps would fall under term music! There is often very tranquil and relaxin feel on rugged reel-to-reel loops and tape manipulations consisting slow moving piano or violin pieces. Always elements of manually crafted noise. This could be perhaps among best parts of the series?

V/A DET TOTALA RAGGARKRIGET tape
Chefsideologens Bolag
One side is "regular". Alfarmania does what he does well. You'll be floored by howling shouts over rugged industrial-waste. Broken Lights is one of those low-profile names what delivered great tapes, but pretty much impossible to get anywhere?! Less aggressive, but always very neat loops and sounds. Händer Som Vårdar does good job opening the way for Treriksröset giving the expected full on harsh blast. Well planned & arrange order of material. B-side is something, what could be perhaps assumed to be audio track of documentary about raggars driven through moderate modulation with.. Korg MS20? Possibly. Perhaps for people outside nordic countries, subculture of raggars (raggare in sweden, raggari in finland) could be mystery? In short, it would be guys with strong interest in old american cars, but not limited to 50's clothing aesthetics or rockabilly music or such. More related to cruising with cars and behaving violent and antisocial, often against punks, hippies and immigrants. American rebel flags, small town totale krieget against prevailing system and its watchdogs by seeking the mythical FTW rebel spirit. Fine with me! Perhaps B-side opens best for those who understand the swedish dialogue. I'm not that good in Swedish, unfortunately.

ABSCHEU "Breviary of Chaos" tape
Unrest
Judging based on online sample, I didn't expect this being THIS good. Of course one could conclude that recent years of Unrest has been pretty much solid release one after another. You could lump this together with AM NOT, KEVLAR, IFOTS and rest of heavy electronics thugs of Unrest, but it's not the same. What is the same, is Unrest aesthetics on graphics and clearly belonging to style, but Abscheu in my brain, goes somewhere between old Operation Cleansweep and new Shift! It has the heavy electronic foundation filled with vocals and samples and proper songs (in understanding of "germanic power electronics"), but there is more force and more distorted saturation than with 90's sound. That what brings the Shift in my mind. My assumption is, that this will be soon as wanted as sold out Kevlar tapes, so if you want proper heavy electronics, I'd say it probably benefits from being on tape instead of CD, so better hurry...

FABBRICO INCUBO "KARKASS OPERATOR" tape
Steel Sadist Rebirth
One of the many Ryan Oppermann projects. Somewhere between lethal dark ambient and death industrial, as many of his projects seem to be? It's sort of "faceless", that relies a lot on what I'd assume to be simply synth and echo, but nevertheless, in its genre its very good stuff! I'd actually prefer this over many bigger names and even C-90 tape didn't seem exaggeration in length! Perhaps availability of this Trash Ritual sub-label hasn't been too good, but if you can see it somewhere, worth to grab.

WERTHAM / UNCODIFIED "Vindicta II" CD
Old Europe Cafe
2014 recordings. Heavy electronics Italia. Often very droning and solid tone on the back and with all sorts of material on the top. This could require deeper analysis to full appreciate subtle variation between other Wertham and Uncodified materials. For reason or another, I like this release more than some of either ones other works. Can't explain why. Fairly clean and crystallic synth elements are quite simple, but there is also levels beyond the obvious. If one hasn't checked out these projects, it's good to start somewhere, and why not this?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A LINKS BETWEEN ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINATION & CHRONIC DISEASES vol 1" tape
Collapsed Hole, 25
This dates back to 2012. What I said about EROS being little exaggerated, being 2 hours of stuff spread over 4 tapes, in other hand, from this C-90 compilation you will see why that could be good solution. This is hand made packaging on VHS box. Color prints glued on box, lots of stuff inside, booklet, some stickers, wire-mesh wrapped hand painted tape. 21 tracks on hour and half, consisting a lot of artists I hardly know of. Some I don't know at all, some I know vaguely, but not enough to fully recognize their style. So during 45 minutes playing of side, it is easy to get lost who is actually playing right now. Tracks vary from short less than 1 minute piece to about 10 minutes long tracks. However, I find this compilation very enjoyable. Some EXCELLENT material, lets name Diaphragm, Kakerlak, too short Sewer Goddess track, and many more. It's american stuff collected over few years of time and blends in harsh noise, experimental ambient noise, power electronics and such and manades to do such a tasty mix of everything that it's too bad 75 copies are probably gone long ago as well as this object is quite odd for distributors to carry due packaging. Good reminder how some less talked, smaller profile compilations with lots of fairly small names can be very interesting release.

Bryan Lewis Saunders "stream of unconscious vol 11" tape
Standup Tragedy
Guy who likes to talk a lot. A lot. How this series is described is: "The Stream of Unconscious is a single work composed of 24 albums on 12 cassette tapes. Each album forms a single chapter of the novel written by Bryan Lewis Saunders using the stream of unconscious method of writing, whereby he transcribes his unconscious dream descriptions and somniloquy. The vocals on each album are the source material for the writings and at times are manipulated by the artists/musicians involved. " Here A-side is pretty dull drum machine beats and processing by Offerings. Not much info to be found, but not that this recording would made me so enthusiastic to look for. B-side with Requiem is much more interesting. What it offers is merely slowly waving ambient soundscapes, where Saunders quiet whispering vocals appears abruptly here and there. Recording possibly dictaphone or such, making sound itself interesting even if this stream of unconscious would remain quite obscure. He did collaboration with names a lot of well known names from noise/experimental circles. I feel that perhaps guys like Joke Lanz, Leif Elggren, Evil Moisture etc could do better job than Offerings for example..

Michael Nine "Placebo – Evidence Series Object 6" tape
Another guy where description likes to talk a lot would fit, hah... Now we're reaching point where he put out therapy session, where other voice is edited out, so what we have here, is roughly half an hour of Michael Nine talking alone, but to someone. When dialogue has other half cut out, it has this absurd element like spoken word dada, where you never know reply or question.
I find myself in mixed feelings. First of all, how much of me me I I my feelings, I feel, I think, me...  one can listen? I mean, I'd hope dialogue or monologue of something. Not therapy talk about threapy. Not feelings about having feelings or not having feelings. It feels like meta-creation of some sort. Self describing, self documenting self-eating process where in the end nothing is really expressed. All creation is just document of wanting to create or experession is about wanting to express. But what? Of course it is document of psychological condition. But as this whole very american way of regular guys sitting in therapy and unloading their hearts and minds seems so alien to me, I'd hope people could just forget it for a while and look outside. There are pretty interesting things out there to relate in way or another. However, that all said, if listening to contemporary art object makes you think this much, hah, it ain't without point! In the end, pretty good release!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

Jean-Claude Eloy ‎– Bordelines, Or Petra's Shouts cd (Hors Territoires)
Jean-Claude Eloy ‎– Le Minuit de la Foi 2xcd (Hors Territoires)

Since establishing itself in 2010, Hors Territoires has been hard at work reconstituting, issuing and reissuing the amazing and epic dronework of Jean-Claude Eloy. Some of le shit dates back to the early sixties, while the most recent are "electroacoustic" reworkings from the mid 90s and in some cases much more recently "revised". Borderlines, however, is the first completely all-new work, composed and recorded by Eloy at, I would expect, quite the advanced age. It is also very, very good. Drone, yes, but verging on industrial-strength. At sufficient levels quite potent, ear-piercing, stuff. "Distorted scrunch! Clap of (real life) thunder, buzz of drone, slightly distorted crash, crraASH, buzz growing in ominous measure, clang, crunch, sweep, crankling crinkled metals, reverberation ad infinitum, ragged inhalation, exhalation." The ragged breathing I would take for Petra, the title character and contributing vocalizer. The assorted crashing no doubt that of Eloy's life-time collection of cowbells, some of them huge and custom-made, erotically posed in the accompanying booklet. The first thirty minutes of this long disc is given over to a quite, uh, striking working through of cowbell abuse, giving way to concrete traffic noise, subdued grey-tinged whitewash. Then, at long last, Petra proper, a heavily processed down-pitched mutant robot Petra choking against a second layer of very human gasps and moans in a borderline nutso approximation of agony-cum-escstasy. "This was one take," she giggles. Dead silence. The voice returns, straight-laced, speaking German, and the sky darkens, thunder claps, severely pitched tones, high drama beckons. The cowbells are out! Now Petra sounds like a damn Buddhist, chanting, intoning, humming, processed together with elongated electro-drawl. Then: huge melodramatic concentration of strained and scraped metal racket as the insane voice starts yelling-cum-chanting way in the background, growling engine motors thuddering about the pan. One thing this piece does not do, ever, is settle down. At every instant sound events are coming and going, pushing and pulling, wham bam thank you Madame Petra... Petra? Uh, Petra? What the hell is she doing in there and why wasn't I invited? Shrieking of... pain, delight? Claps of (real life) thunder accentuate the drama. Laughter. Giggle. Sexy intake of breath. Slow build into massive wash of waterfalltronics. A bell that actually sounds like a bell, cow optional, but by now we are on the seventy-first minute with only nine more to go. High concentration is certainly to be rewarded. Exhausting, expansive, utterly satisfying.
CLANG! announces the glorious unfolding of "Morgendammerung", the lengthy opening chapter to Le Minuit De La Foi. Spanning two hours over two discs, Le Minuit was especially recorded for those who thought Borderlines too short. Thankfully, at least for the borderline-abused earholes, this is far more subdued. Much heavier in depth but also much brighter in general tone, at least to start with. Voice-over from a precise, clear-voiced, German-speaking voice actress gives this a very documentary-esque flavor, of the nature-sciences persuasion, sprinkled with a bit of sixties sci-fi. An atheist's read of a strange spiritual journey as broadcast on The Discovery Channel. Deep thunderous booms set off slow moving majestic whispers and sighs, chirpy organ flitting playfully against a more constant organdrone, gradually absorbed into continuous cresting rushes of sound, constantly growing and shrinking, building and decaying- but as this is Eloy never but never simply dragging things out. Though in truth, for the casual listener it may well seem that way. Two hours is a long time to demand of one's concentration and one would have to be excused in letting it – the concentration -  drift from time to time. Drifting in an unspecified sense of time is very likely part of the intent; it is certainly a good part of the appeal. An easy reference would have to be Eloy's four-hour magnum opus, Gaku-No-Michi (1979), which also reverberates vaguely in the above-commented Borderlines. Where Borderlines partakes of Gaku's occasional industrial-grade textures, Le Minuit echoes the mighty opus principally in pacing. Sound events evolve slowly, sometimes imperceptibly, but are always on the move. Hefty electronics that could be processed airplane noise- or trains roaring by. At twenty minutes or so the tone deepens and darkens, acquires considerable mass and depth as white-edged surges bank off of concrete revving engines processed almost, but not quite, to icy-smoothed oblivion. Not necessarily the kind of thing I would normally enjoy, perhaps, except that in the uber-capable hands of a master craftsman something just clicks. I am, like, totally absorbed in the deeply affecting depths of an interminable waking dream. At forty-five minutes we return to the documentary voice-over and the sci-fi organ tones, growing almost exultant as they intermingle with the unsettled washes of heaving white, long fade out. Disc 2's "Dammerlicht" picks up where Morgendammerung leaves off, slow builds and sighs onto more of the same. Gaku figures even more prominently here, as the pace picks up, the drama ups a couple notches, and heavily layered electronics build into the occasional squealing climax. Thoroughly modern sounding yet at the same time a most charming throwback to the sixties- or at least to Eloy's Shanti (1979). Put simply, there is nothing else quite like this out there. I find myself losing my train of thought, drawn back in, fading back out... clanks and squeals flitting in and out of perception. Thirty one minutes in and sounds fade out... voice actress in conversation with Eloy in the soundbooth... "This is a wonderful sentence, the best of her. The meaning of it. Do you understand the meaning of the text... Have you chosen the text by yourself?" ("Yes, of course, from the French, ehh...") "Ah! I think this is the most wonderful sentences from her, one of the most..." In lesser hands the momentum would be killed. But this is classic Eloy all the way. Rusted metal scrapes and slowed-down shuddering, shrieks to scalding peaks, massed clusters of converging metals, eerie tones, hints of feedback. I am insane for ever branding this shit ambient, but by forty minutes we are droning with all speed. Elongated drag into blubbering groan n' thud. Great, period.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Thanks.  I hadn't heard of Jean-Claude Eloy.  I'm liking this excerpt a lot:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXNka4oXsRI
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Johann

Jerman/Barnes "Matterings" 2014/15? Ernstwhile Records

Ernstwhile records has been putting out some great stuff but it seems like not a lot of people are paying it any attention. With so many HANDS TO/Jerman fans I was suprised to see almost no mention of his 2014/15? Collaboration with Tim Barnes titled "Matterings"...IMO a completely solid and engaging piece of electro acoustic improvisation, the enviormental sounds lack the dirty detritus feel of previous Jerman works and instead trade them in for crystal clear up close sound environments, the album moves from tiny microcosmos to jarring booms gracefully and in perfect precision. Abstracted rythms are met by ghostly voices and fragments of electronic buzz seemingly floating through vast emptiness. This album definitely requires a bit of volume to get the  full effect of Jason Lesccalleets grade A mastering of the material. I highly recommend picking this up.

AMRadioWaveMessage

Equipment can 'mock' other equipment, like how artificial drums are sometimes used to to convey a certain sound, but can never achieve original sounds unto themselves. Just like I believe there is a future to strictly 'glitchy' sound that can be mimicked, but unique to itself, with newer computer models.

Intolitarian - Beserker Savagery - Starts with Nikolas Schreck sample used during Bob Larson interview back in early 90's / late 80's, and begins afterwards with immersing wall of sound, and complex / erratic drum rhythm for about 10 minutes, with violent screams, and sudden tempo stops and 'halts,' to where it picks up after GG Allin prison interview sample. The samples go very well with sound in detailing intensity, also believe a Blanche Barton sample to be used at beginning of second song about Aryan bloodlines. The whole album progresses in intensity, to where it gets more convulsing, erratic, and violent, and reaches sudden end. Album does a great job at subtley increasing in its hard-to-follow sound output.

Tetragrammacide -  EP MMXV, "Typhonian Wormholes: Indecipherable Anti-Structural Formulæ"
Released on 12" - Sounds like vortex of muffled sounds, wall noise, with growling, BM-like vocals, distorted instruments, cheap feedback and such creating impenetrable sound attack. Seems to be a mesh of "War Metal" Noisecore, Harsh Noise and Black Metal, or something like that. Has the intensity and tempo of extreme metal, as well as vocals, to coincide with Harsh Noise wall sound, and maybe sudden tempo drops characteristic of Noisecore?

Maurizio Bianchi - Neuro Habitat - Nice high-pitched sounds, of 'orchestral' analog, and contrasts of lower-pitched, to mimic sounds of synapse connections, almost like a Schizophrenic brain communicating nonsense wildly to rarely-contacted areas of the brain. Kind of, actually, reminds me of earlier Academic foreign work of Ivo Malec Brain Wave, musique concrete of Croatia. Or, maybe slightly resemblance to Maryanne Amacher side of 'artificial sound', but not quite...

Ashmonger

Cadaver Gutter/Psychosadist (C40, Hiisi Productions): Cool tape, Cadaver Gutter is really nice again, though sounds a bit different than before, I think the vocals have more effects than before? Not sure... Didn't like Psychosadists first release, but this is pretty cool, except for the last track, it's this kind of annoying sound which I just don't really like, the last Grunt album had a comparable track...

Of Earth And Sun - Uncoiled (CD, Malignant Records):Wasn't into it directly when listening on the Malignant bandcamp page at work, but now I wonder why. Absolutely great Ritual/Ambient work!

Of  Earth And Sun - A Consuming Fire (C60, Maniacal Hatred): Same style as the album, very good again.

Abscheu - Breviary of Chaos (C40, Unrest Productions): Pure Heavy Electronics/Industrial bliss, really good. Hope to hear more of this project in the future!