PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Scalp Elevator – Reenactment tape
Not what I expected from this superduo of Ryan Bloomer and Andrew Nolan. But there again, very much what may be expected of the project name. Scalp Elevator. The frontotemporal boggles. Pretty high expectations were to be had in any case, and these Reenactment easily exceeds. Huge and heavy metal bashing racket generously coated with filthed and grimy toiletspherics, two Southern Ontario nutbags going berserk deep down in the dank and echoing depths of abandoned lift shaft, junked scraps hurled about the somewhat flooded confines- with force enough to take someone's fucking head off. Against a distant rhythmic backing of metallic clunk, exceedingly harsh ripping textures quickly consume all breathing space, percussive assaults only occasionally to ker-scrunch through. Dense, harsh, raw. It's all there, overflowing toilet-smearics spewing the chamber with consistently crude harmonic overtones, if never quite to approach the fully overbilged levels of flatlinedtronics. More shitwell than shitwall if you will. Audience appreciation is enthusiastic and deserved. Flip over and any sense of consistent atmos is duly shredded. Well-muscled scrap-clank gives way to straight ahead headbanging metal-percussion to utterly mangled rip-fizzle to more slow, deliberate, steel-on-steel whanging to grey and grainy fuzzgrind to trainwreck loopsludge to... you name it. Not so much cut-up per se. Each textural movement stays around just long enough to leave its impression before lurching to the next indulgence, quite successfully negotiating the line between considered composition and out-and-out thrashing. Ultimately it is the assorted slops of the looped banging persuasion that anchor this ragged mess of conflicted perv-vision, and a particularly well-chosen sequence of said slops the duly proffered method to closing out the madness.

Constrain – Option To Hide tape
"Recorded & arranged summer 2013-2014," quite a span of time to put together these 20-minutes of tightly packed goodness. It shows. The Option is in the details. Razor-sharpened details, glittering shards, finely chiseled incisions. Rough concrete sources crowded out of view, brutally hacked and savaged, scrabbling frantically, and with rare success, to burst their securely fastened constraints. Plenty of goodies, then, hidden deep in the crevices of bullshit-free butt rupture, divided into seven parts. This thing moves. It hops around. Plunging down one rabbit-hole after another. Not to the point that the noisehead feels it is getting jerked around- maybe just a bit of well-lubed meat-strangling here and there. Always retaining a satisfyingly raw and gritty temperament which only aggravates the very physical pressures assaulting the 'holes. Though I will say there are moments when I want to slap this guy and scream, "Would you fucking slow down! I liked that bit, uh, back there. No, no. Uh, the one before that, I think. Or... erm, was it after? Wait. Who's this hot little number here. Whoo-baby. That's the shit. Oooh yeah.... yeah... fuck yeah... Hey, what? Where the fuck she go? Argh. Alright alright, fuck it, you don't have to fucking remind me. I can tolerate it. You've eroded my sense of bearing (THERE IS NOTHING LEFT!) Chucked me out the nest. But I'm good, really. Disillusioned, no question. Outcome? A burning necessity to just play the fucking tape. You fucking win, okay? FUCK!" In this sense the relative brevity of the tape works. Those delectable textures so sorely missed mere moments passed will be back in short order, just as the notable noshow of any weak moment ultimately leaves the bruised and battered soundholes perking up expectantly at the next violent surge. The only option apparent to play it again, sod.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

pentd

can't afford buying much, but this blew my mind with it's craftmanship so i picked it up and it did not disappoint: ZWEITESYSTEM

https://zweitesystem.bandcamp.com/album/systemversatz

swiss electronics, surgical and precise.. abstract sequences... harmonic destruction... one can go super analytic over this kinda or just take the neanderthal approach and dig it. modular makina musik!

these guys also have ZOV, which is closer to special interests:
https://zov308.bandcamp.com/album/radiolaria-oblystar

Viodre - "deep blue series" tape
documenting live assaults, messy and compact!

AXNAAR

PUCE MARY - The Spiral
Very nice album. Warms up with nice quieter drone loop tracks and harder industrial influence later on - impressive work. Huge attention to detail.
As with the likes of HELM, it's hard to label this stuff as just P.E/Industrial - it's something else, sound art that draws from many influences. I imagine this album will go lots of places beyond the usual noise buying crowd.

VelvetCurtain

collapsedhole

Quote from: pentd on April 02, 2016, 08:08:17 AM
Viodre - "deep blue series" tape
documenting live assaults, messy and compact!

this is actually not a live recording, but tracks constructed from live recordings. titles are J.Vibg purposely inflicting confusion!

played today....

trucido / final solution - split cs - trucido does nothing for me, weak feedback and spoken word sounds like it was recorded on a walkman, and not in the good way.... but goddamn, final solution are the fucking best! totally vile maniacal vokill assault... "this is for the new sexual revolution. fuck the PC. i love lesbians, but i do not like dyke politics. give me one and not the other.... this ones called lesbians" ... fuck yes!!! the best FS material maybe?! greatest american PE act ever.

skin graft - man made body - 2x-cs - wyatt at his best! essential for fans of the project.

plagues - old hands - c16 master for collapsed hole noise - plagues kickin ass like he does on 'vintern var hard' or 'troubled sleep' ... look for this after i get a few other tapes out

kakerlak - among the minutae - cs
order of nine angels - grand high climax - cs
telepherique - v=s/t - cd
vromb - jeux de terres - cd
muslimgauze - drugsherpa 2013 - cd

VelvetCurtain

I've been jamming the deterge skin graft LP on fusty cunt. Also vital for Midwest heads

holy ghost

Sissy Spacek: Sword/Flywheel/No Matter tapes: copped these from Helicopter and holy shit they are fucking GREAT. Harsh grinding noise from Wiese/Mumma on two tapes and on the third tape a live set with Mike Du Bose on vocals plus a second set with Sickness and Jay Randall on the flip. All ar fucking savage. Raw as fuck. Really glad I grabbed these. Saw them last summer with the Wiese/Mumma/Du Bose lineup, one of the coolest bands I've ever seen.

The Rita/Mania "Together They're Murder" tape reissue. Only taken a cursory listen, but I'm into it.

Magma live: better than I could have possibly imagined. Maybe the best show I've ever seen. Vander is a living legend and the band were tight as fuck. MDK in its entirety.  How do you top that?

Zodiac

Remember, remember... december.

coinbender

the dead neanderthals - worship the sun

such an amazing record , i ve been listeing for some time now.
free jazz assault .

holy ghost

Quote from: coinbender on April 06, 2016, 02:46:21 PM

free jazz assault .

Great band! This record is crucial shit. The DLP hey released recently is great. I forget the name of it offhand but its more drone than wild blasting.

Mae sure you check out Burning Tree. More wild new free jazz!!!!

coinbender

Quote from: holy ghost on April 06, 2016, 05:53:31 PM
Quote from: coinbender on April 06, 2016, 02:46:21 PM

free jazz assault .

Great band! This record is crucial shit. The DLP hey released recently is great. I forget the name of it offhand but its more drone than wild blasting.

Mae sure you check out Burning Tree. More wild new free jazz!!!!

you are probably talking about "endless voids" . have only listened the bandcamp track of this which is great!
Prime  was also excellent. breathless on going total fucking marmalade.
thanx for the BT tip.

Duality

Streicher - War without End
Relistening to this, I still wish I could like it more than I do. With Streicher's amazing back catalogue, I guess its hard to match up to, say, Annihlism. But that said, I just can't find much to really rave about. Its good, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have the same crushing aggression as his earlier works. It certainly has a more modern sound, which matches with the theme, but it lost something in the transition. I like the live excerpts a lot though. Overall, good but nowhere near great.

Bloated Slutbag

Phocomelus – Bit Of Rough tape
When 20 discs of Skin Crime are not enough... could be time for a bit of rough. Throw in a pinch of harsh an ounce of junk and an assload of dense and you are there. I find myself digging around, in the usual undignified posture, for Whorebutcher, which seemed on first cut to be carved from comparably sinewy stock. Firm, viscous, flowing. Greased up good. Plenty of meaty flavor to sink into and savor, all of it surprisingly well-cooked. From a distance one might even imagine the shit to start hitting a solid, droning, consistency. So not all that raw in general tone- he did say just a bit of rough- at least on the first side. Bits of rough I would take for possible scrap sources do emerge quickly, but spend most of the time almost entirely buried under layers of ravaged seethe n shizzle, white metallic sheets stained and slashed with big ragged eye-holes bled out. The pinch of harsh, administered via pliers with a particularly cruel and abusive hand, is really starting to hurt, the way music should, trails of smoke rising slowly from the 'holes. As for the assload, dense is one word, impenetrable is another. Try making heads or tails of this and trails of smoke start rising from your skull. Elements many and varied intersect at different speeds, suggesting a schizo-frenetic disposition that draws attention at one moment to microspastic epileptic knife-seizures and then at others to a much more measured and deliberate undertow that constantly threatens to drag everything down into fully filthed overbilge. That never happens, of course, the intent clearly to keep your toes tapping your tongue lolling your sphintcter clenching and your eyelids jittering throughout. Get down and boogie, buddy boy. On the flip, and a fair bit more of the rough. The rough is in the bilge harmonics, a festering growth of low-end solids rumbling from the extremes of the l and the r. Heavy masses of thunder descend, pressures mount, micromovements fight for breaks of daylight, of which, of course, there are none. This is good, though, a fightin', strained dialog that, now that I think of it, might actually be real-life voices burbling away. And now that I think about it again, might be some kind of fucked up robot desperately bloopering in distressed disrepair. Febrile, that would be a good word. Or maybe just plain diseased. Ultimately you will never know nor care, electronics in their final lurch, oscillate, screech, nil.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Johann

Masonna Passion of Rubbers (RE LP) : Masonna was one of my first finds when I started getting into noise, went to pick up a craigslist reel to reel and they offered to let me look through the remaining CD collection of their deceased brother, it was there I saw Shinsen Na Clitoris - Vanilla Records, I knew enough to suspect I should snatch it up (for about 3 $) and I'm glad I did. I never went out of my way to track down more of his stuff after, but became reunited through the Eb.er Phillips Collaboration, and the clitoris pump action cd. I obsessed about weather to buy Passion of Rubbers or to pass, and pass I'm glad I did not.

Acidtronics? Maybe, more like a galaxy being sucked into a vaccum cleaner, don't know what the instruments were but the first track has some stuff that sounds like a record on a turntable being sandblasted. Second track starts with some hard punches before moving into a dial up tonal mess before coming to a scorching end. Third track is a rest, I suspect it is the only studio track of the 4, electronic bells resonat beautiful and haunting sounds, ping ponging back and forth between the speakers. I could listen to shit like this for hours, reminds me of 1960s academic electronic, the intervals become less spaced building up the anticipation for another track of gritty vaccum sounds with high-end tones floating freely in the void. Under the slab of grit you can hear electronic tones writhing all over. Perfect length, though I wouldn't have minded hearing this a double 7" to get that listening experience the cassette version would offer, the tracks aren't at all diminished being played straight through back to back on either side. Great listen and highly recommended.

Johann

Graham Lambkin & Joe McPhee : Chance Meeting: Kye CDR

There is no doubt that Lambkin is one of the most engaging and interesting experimentalist currently working within the world of sound today. I came into listening to him the way I'm sure most of us did, through his work with the shadow ring, but since the release I'm Some Songs Graham has been moving further and further past music into a realm of sound. McPhee is a name I've heard around town and wrongly associated with a Chicago jazz scene that never did much for me, I've only recently begun to learn how mistaken I was (but that's the fun part so now I can find something fresh I missed years ago), a sometimes collaborator with the Nihilst Spasm Band and apperantly improving to prerecorded tapes back in the 60s! (I'd love to hear what that was like). Any recommendations on a starting point would be appreciated since his discography is fairly extensive.

So this is one 31 minute track, which I mentally split into three parts (where different conversation fragments are introduced). "Are you Ready? No" tape interference floats through a domestic enviorment as objects are moved around an amplified surface. it's nearly impossible to tell if the wind chimes you begin hearing are on the tapes or in the room, McPhee begins play something (?) but it just sounds like wind, children and birds. Around the ten minute mark a poem created out of a conversation heavily chopped and edited appears and then disenegrates into an almost sitar like drone (but only the drone) as a wind instrument hovers about in an errie fashion before the sound begins to morph as the volume expands filling the room with a dense electronic haze. There is no doubt this is a kind of synthesized horn, as the sound fades to total silence and the explodes into a thunder clap and wet drips, sounds of a totally amplified home. Glass panes speak, floors creak and ghostly conversation just floats through (the words compeletly undectable and unimportant). It's these kind of sounds that bleed into our own domestic reality, blurring the lines between the real and recorded. The only seperation is the dense electronic fog that hangs endlessly in front of you. The speakers begin breathing out short burst of interference as bottle rockets whistle but never pop and a hand searches for a station on the radio that is never there. The final conversation is about Amazon as little bells or chimes just kinda float in the background until suddenly moving to the forground as a tape machine lurches to life and electronic birds begin crying out into a static reality, junk is shuffled and clinked, the static increases to accompany the sounds of whistling and shrill drones that never last more than a 15 seconds before giving way to the unfolding haze until the tape comes to a slurping halt.

Here's to hoping this one makes its way to a proper release.