PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashmonger

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 02, 2016, 10:27:27 AM
Quote from: Ashmonger on September 22, 2016, 01:39:40 AM
Veriyhteys 1 (Comp CD, Sakaramiina Records): Really like most Vapaudenristi stuff and was interested to see what the other bands were like, so I got this. Vapaudenristi tracks are good, but not as good as the last album.

This material was recorded before album, being also older tracks. The other one is cover song too.
Yeah, I noticed about the cover song after I posted here. Never heard of that band before (can't even remember the name, Tonstüffe or something?).

Morte Lenta/Unpeace (C?, Obscurex): Short tape with less than 10 minutes of each band. Both are good, but for Morte Lenta it would have been cool if the guitar would be more audible, now you can barely hear it during the blasts, but it's fine with the slower parts or when the drums absent for a moment. Unpeace is cool too, but sound is quite muddy, would like it more when the sound would be a bit sharper.

Major Carew

Streicher / Totenrune

Fucking fantastic! The Streicher material is a mix of throbbing synths (some of which have been previously heard I think on War Without End) and horrible pig squealing noises. "Turn on the Gassssss!"

Totenrune side is also excellent metal / object abuse. Very harsh, but not in the way that that's it's only distinguishing feature. Lots of detail and movement in there which I liked.

Only down side is that I would have liked it to be longer or maybe a couple of tracks each rather than just one, but not complaining, the quality of the material is first rate.

SKY BURIAL

Quote from: david lloyd jones on September 27, 2016, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: Fluid Fetish on September 27, 2016, 02:23:56 AM
Quote from: Dr Alex on September 26, 2016, 12:37:18 AM
Still can't get enough of HAWKWIND!
Also, obscure and unknown krautrock bands with one album rules!!

It's impossible to get too much or enough of Hawkwind, especially the older stuff. 80's era is still good too.

Nik Turner is coming through my neck of the woods again in November and although it's not Hawkwind, they play a bunch of his material that he wrote with Hawkwind which is my favorite stuff. I also like his solo stuff a lot, especially the Prophets of Time era but its all good. I recently got the full multi-disc set of the pyramid recordings where he plays his flute inside of the pyramid by himself and it's amazing...a good friend of mine is friend's with him and has a music school hall rented out for the evening after the main show. My friend's band and Nik are going to do an invite only Space Ritual with a video back drop for at least an hour or two. Going to try to do a video recording of at least some of it this time as we didn't last years, I cannot wait.

have to say that I think hawkwind was greater than the sum of it's parts and no solo releases are as good as the band itself.
got a bootleg tape of ICU that is pretty awful really, from a time that older bands were trying to do the punk energy thing-van der graff a similar case in point.
hawkwind up to quark are, for me the best incarnations

Nik Turner's 'Space Gypsy' (2014) harks back to classic era Hawkwind and is better than anything Hawkwind proper have put out in decades. Nicky Garrat (UK Subs) on guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4zXRoC3xE&list=PLbHHE6cZMWerSAhTqSuhxF2C7d_apJyvf

Dr Alex

Quote from: SKY BURIAL on October 05, 2016, 09:21:13 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on September 27, 2016, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: Fluid Fetish on September 27, 2016, 02:23:56 AM
Quote from: Dr Alex on September 26, 2016, 12:37:18 AM
Still can't get enough of HAWKWIND!
Also, obscure and unknown krautrock bands with one album rules!!

It's impossible to get too much or enough of Hawkwind, especially the older stuff. 80's era is still good too.

Nik Turner is coming through my neck of the woods again in November and although it's not Hawkwind, they play a bunch of his material that he wrote with Hawkwind which is my favorite stuff. I also like his solo stuff a lot, especially the Prophets of Time era but its all good. I recently got the full multi-disc set of the pyramid recordings where he plays his flute inside of the pyramid by himself and it's amazing...a good friend of mine is friend's with him and has a music school hall rented out for the evening after the main show. My friend's band and Nik are going to do an invite only Space Ritual with a video back drop for at least an hour or two. Going to try to do a video recording of at least some of it this time as we didn't last years, I cannot wait.

have to say that I think hawkwind was greater than the sum of it's parts and no solo releases are as good as the band itself.
got a bootleg tape of ICU that is pretty awful really, from a time that older bands were trying to do the punk energy thing-van der graff a similar case in point.
hawkwind up to quark are, for me the best incarnations

Nik Turner's 'Space Gypsy' (2014) harks back to classic era Hawkwind and is better than anything Hawkwind proper have put out in decades. Nicky Garrat (UK Subs) on guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4zXRoC3xE&list=PLbHHE6cZMWerSAhTqSuhxF2C7d_apJyvf

Thanx for letting me know for this. Sounds great! I don't give attention too much to hawkwind-related projects but this one is amazing!

Zeno Marx

Sachiko - You Never Atone For... 2006 - she's impressive.  period. hear it all.  - plays with a lot of sounds, but overall, you can expect an ambient or meditative experience - running into this power-electronics/industrial track surprised me in the best of ways; "Never Go Down Yarai-Zaka"

https://www.discogs.com/artist/803051-Sachiko-2

https://sachiko.bandcamp.com/music

Is there a thread for running into notable tracks of certain styles that fall outside the realm of what you'd expect?  Like running into a quality power-electronics track in the middle of a field recording artist?
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

jadderly

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 06, 2016, 06:19:23 PM
Sachiko - You Never Atone For... 2006 - she's impressive.  period. hear it all.  - plays with a lot of sounds, but overall, you can expect an ambient or meditative experience - running into this power-electronics/industrial track surprised me in the best of ways; "Never Go Down Yarai-Zaka"

https://www.discogs.com/artist/803051-Sachiko-2

https://sachiko.bandcamp.com/music

Is there a thread for running into notable tracks of certain styles that fall outside the realm of what you'd expect?  Like running into a quality power-electronics track in the middle of a field recording artist?

That's a very good album. Keep meaning to pick it up but just never got around to it.

I have this cassette which is also quite good:

https://www.discogs.com/Sachiko-With-Lament/release/1581923

deathcamp

V/A Animal Bizarre 1 (IOPS) tape - Impressive compilation from well-known PE artists: Grunt, Wertham and Bizarre Uproar... A must-have as all tracks are top-notch. Grunt vocals in Finnish bring an interesting new dimension in my opinion.
This kind of short compilation with shared theme is excellent, it advantage the artists.

CALIGULA 031 "Domino" (Nil by Mouth) tape - Maybe my favourite recording of C031, 4 tracks of excessively brutal PE assault. Great packaging with a lot to read.

NAXAL PROTOCOL "The Stasi Files" (Nil by Mouth) - Short but very good PE/Noise tape, good use of textures...

Peterson

Taeter "Glorious Paraphilia" C30 (No Rent)

Alright, so this year's PE Grammy goes to Taeter, who manages to hit all of the tropes while still remaining original and totally satisfying in approach, especially regarding the vocals. Fuckin' A; absolutely joyous, perverse and crazed delivery not dissimilar to Grunt/N12 or The Sodality (whom Taeter of course covers on "Parasite"). Totally massive sub-bass sound which my ancient boombox just couldn't deliver on, so headphones had to win out. Background clarinet and violin should be a whole lot louder in the mix, but "Special" is still a great track.

"Anal Anthropology" has a nice bass thump/throb with a pretty queasy violin (type) sound permeating. I mostly remember the vocals being a bit too quiet, even though I just got through my second listen.

"Everything Has It's Place" takes pretty excellent music concrete cues for a backdrop with a gorgeous buzzing synth drone and some excellent effected and pitch-shifted vocals.That track, however, is way too short.

The eponymous track starts the B-side with a really gloomy, urgent-sounding cinematic synth (violin? bass?) drone and vocals that are a little too quiet in the mix, however, at one point, "sugar daddy" vocals slip in quietly and discreetly, over a watery loop sound that gives way to skronking clarinet; shit yes. Now is probably the time to mention that the lyrics are pretty much perfect, in that they could be delivered many different ways to equal effect. Needless to say, "parental advisory."

Ah, "pigfucker." Favorite vocal performance on the album thus far. Fierce, demeaning, and disgusted, while remaining "invested" all the while. The Sodality and Grunt influence bleeds through the most here, but this is still solidly Taeter, with the old-school bass guitar approach. Lines like "1970s freckled Pasiphae" and "nadir of sex" are pretty much as poetic as PE has the potential to be, if you can call it that. Cold northern black metal approach to perversions, hahaha!

Hmmmm..."Unnecessary Excess." Much like this review, the title sort of reflects the track; the later parts of each side perhaps comprise the less-rehearsed tracks, and seem to "reinforce" the other tracks, but that's okay, they both have some pretty great, quieter attention-demanding sounds that help make them a little distinct.

* special mention of this tape's cover art has got to be made; it's maybe one of the "harder" illustrative concepts out there, but not in the way of Hated Perversions or a certain Alo Girl tape; let's just say it's creative. First reaction was honestly "thought his package looked a lot smaller on the cover of 'Parasite'."

Dieter Muh "Hanging The Blind Dog" C60 (Hanson)

Even though Dilloway's dumbass descriptions like "warning: causes insanity" never actually describe the sounds on the tapes, I'm rarely disappointed with stuff I get from Hanson (even though there's some kind of clown on seemingly all the tapes). In this case, it's scratching an itch I've had for a while; a while back I read one of those descriptions where Dilloway says something like "Emeralds sound like a stoned Ultra," which caught my eye. Later, jaded by the fact that the hyperbole again failed, I put the concept on the back-burner, but still sought whomever it was that took influence form Ultra who's working today. Well, on "Hanging The Blind Dog," that's Dieter Muh; a weird HNAS-ish approach to unique electronics, drones, vocals, and instrumentation. Plus, the A-side track (arbitrarily titled "Stubborn") ends with a sound collage of clips of people saying "masturbation." B-side ("Bethlehem") starts with a fucking great Steve Reich-esque loop/collage of some guy named Phillip Drews introducing himself in a slow, deep and medicated-sounding voice (apparently he was born some time in the '70's and was 15 at the time of recording). I could listen to that particular layering of loops for a l o  n g fucking time, but then it switches to what sounds like a cell phone recording of walking the dog. Sort of interesting and weird, but immediately not as effective as the previous section or previous side. Things start happening again, and layers build, but still with this sort of "pet store" effect, enjoyable, though not as interesting as the other portions until some really nice metallic looping drones come in, kinda like Ultra's "Subway Etiquette," with the similar synth "wooshing" and wavy loop sound with thumping background percussion. Things get pretty droney and archaic-sounding after the wooshing sounds take over, making way for some crumbling tape manipulations exposed as the synth waves break against the rock of the percussion. Great vaccuum-y shit that I'll most likely track down more of. If this is live Dieter Muh, I'm assuming the studio recordings are fuckin' ACE. Fuck, I keep having to add to this already-long review, because the B-side track keeps fading out only to fade in again to new sound collages and really interesting rhythmic sections, the part I'm currently hearing is not unlike old Maurizio Bianchi or even Esplendor Geometrico. Despite one lazy-sounding section, if this is any indication of the project's overall "feel" and style, this is some of the better sound collage material out there today.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: gabalgabow on October 11, 2016, 08:55:29 PM
Bolt thrower - Live 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MShg4lVnsk

Saw them a week before that Maryland Death Fest, some of the most fun at a concert I've ever had. The crowd tore the fucking tent apart, rain was pouring in from the holes, people were trampled on the asphalt. good shit.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Saw them in Oakland on that same tour. Totally killer.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

david lloyd jones

boltthrower ruled from their inception and initial release in UK of 'in battle there is no law'
saw late 80's with other earache bands and they ruled.
they kept their aesthetic after others were more MTV friendly.
not heard in past few decades.

martialgodmask

Working through the Clandestine Blaze albums for a change and enjoying them very much indeed.

Have recently tackled the Motorhead discography in chronological order with nothing else in between on the commute to work with a colleague (we car share); what seemed like a fair to reasonable idea at the beginning turned into a tedious slog with more low points than high points. Of course, have heard much of the material over the years but evidently plenty in there that I hadn't and whilst I can certainly dispute the common statement that all Motorhead albums sound the same a considerable amount of it is just plain shit.

Andrew McIntosh

It's been said before that Motorhead made great songs but not great albums. Of all of them, perhaps "Inferno" rates the highest with me as a consistently good album (and I'm comparing with the traditional favourites like "Ace Of Spades", which I also happen to like). I also love the so-called "Robbo album", "Another Perfect Day". A very unique item in their catalogue, and one of their best. Shame he didn't stick with them.

But even by their own admission, they had some stinkers. Lemmy was pretty honest about his work, for example he owned that the last couple of songs on "Overnight Sensation" were, in his words, "turkeys" (and that's the album that has the almighty "I Don't Believe A Word", one of their best underrated songs).
Shikata ga nai.

cr

Quote from: Major Carew on October 04, 2016, 09:36:50 PM
Streicher / Totenrune

Fucking fantastic! The Streicher material is a mix of throbbing synths (some of which have been previously heard I think on War Without End) and horrible pig squealing noises. "Turn on the Gassssss!"

Totenrune side is also excellent metal / object abuse. Very harsh, but not in the way that that's it's only distinguishing feature. Lots of detail and movement in there which I liked.

Only down side is that I would have liked it to be longer or maybe a couple of tracks each rather than just one, but not complaining, the quality of the material is first rate.

Very much looking forward to get this as well. Hopefully it arrives next week.

Meanwhile - listening now:
EXTERMINANT: Cheap and basic hatred