PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scat-O-Logy

No issues with beat driven industrial music. Some of best industrial albums are beat driven like SPK, Coil, Sat Stoicizmo but when it comes to PE, I prefer it in its purest form. Early CM material was fucking bleak... I remember when the debut tape was released along with Chloroform Rapist through Untergeschoss. That was some stark shit. I loved the evolution of CM throughout the years and I still think "Excess Takes Its Toll" is one of the more ambitious efforts in the field of PE. That's why I was so shocked when I heard "Blossoms Of Shame"... It had those deep beat sounds that I can't but relate with techno. The "Techno PE" term is just something I've come up with, shouldn't be taken too seriously. Thanks for your reply Frank and sorry if I came across as douchey, heh. Will be buying "Caustic Realities" for sure!

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 26, 2016, 07:12:52 PM
"...and the Noise Record of the Year goes to Skin Crime for the "The House on the Cliff" LP!"

Holy crap,  this a great record! Side 1 is graveyard atmosphere with subdued feedback, some heavy low-end, lots of static n' crunch which threatens to get nasty. Side 2 opens with heavy, slow metal abuse then builds into the style of harsh noise S.C. is well known for. Recommended!

Self Abuse is having a sale so it's the perfect time to buy this LP:

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=7452.0

Picked this up based on you and David's descriptions here, plus the cover artwork for the lp is amazing...

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Brad on November 28, 2016, 04:23:40 AM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on November 27, 2016, 07:35:13 PM
is this a generational thing?
later noise fans seem to be from a metal background so avoiding original industrial followers into more beat driven territory
not that we all went there

My gateway was definitely industrial rather than metal, but should it matter?  Most metal has some form of beat too. 

by beats I was referring to techno or hip type, not rhythms per se

ConcreteMascara

Ulcerate - Shrines of Paralysis 2xLP - saw these guys live last week for the first time. even though my head was all stuffed up from a sinus infection they had a great sound. i think this new record might be my favorite yet. the production just has a bit more grit and low end and the songwriting is the best they've done. even though its all unrelentingly heavy, i find myself immediately replaying it again and again. only been listening to it for a week but probably one of my favorite albums from 2016.

Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones LP - the return of the choral/classical bits reminds me a bit of the Fas... album. really nice LP/EP whatever it's being considered as. everything feels super tightly coiled, even more than usual and it really builds the tension up.

Phobocosm - Deprived LP - these guys also played with Ulcerate last week. nothing too exciting or daring here, just solid doomy death metal with penchant for tremolo riffs rather than Bolt Thrower chugging. there are some really nice grooves strewn about, especially in the last two minutes of the track Solar Storm.

Inverloch - Distance | Collapsed mp3s - I've never listened to diSEMBOWELMENT. for whatever reason it just hasn't happened. i know this band shares members and thus receives extra hype. but I don't care about that either. what I do care about is the very enjoyable mixture of sad-man doom metal and slow as shit death metal that's done pretty well here. I feel like if there was a rawer sound this would be way better, because it all feels a bit tame to me. like sad-man armchair metal. maybe I should check out diSEMBOWELMENT finally...
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

david lloyd jones

sad man armchair metal is surely a genre waiting to happen (if only by confessing to current frailties)

andy vomit

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on November 29, 2016, 04:24:37 PM
maybe I should check out diSEMBOWELMENT finally...

you absolutely should.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxg2dGi2FI0

their 2CD reissue on relapse has a bunch of demos on the second disc, definitely a lot more raw than the album
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

Peterson

Ever listened to something you realized you'd skipped over in the past, and now have no idea why; because it's so undeniably what you want? Ever realize you're somewhat easy to please when that kind of thing happens? I bet it's more often than you're willing to admit, but I'll grant that many folks are a lot more jaded than I am.

Had an experience like that today with various S.T.A.B. Electronics material uploaded to YouTube after revisiting the Nyrrki & Kyrpa III compilation and going nuts for the S.T.A.B. track included therein ("Feminist Kneejerk Reaction"). And now I'm pissed off because I can't find my copy of The Non-Alliant I. This stuff is absolutely addictive - excellent synthesizer sounds, always perfectly-balanced frequencies, heavy but not brickwalled as to allow the bass a "sexy" sound, mostly-intelligible and very passionate vocal performances. At times they bring to mind Slogun, once or twice Brighter Death Now, but by and large, he seems to have his own approach, style, and trademark effects settings which pretty much always sound good but also strong and clear.

I think Mikko said something like this project is not really doing anything new, just doing what's expected with total talent and focus of vision. I have to admit, that fits the bill for this project perfectly. There seem to be tracks from each release that I don't own on YouTube, convenient and telling - people like this guy's stuff for a reason.

Oh yeah, and "PE anthems?" The Non-Alliant eponymous track has excellent lyrics that in other, weaker hands might sound nihilistic and whiny; in this case they're just dismissive, like a period at the end of a sentence. That review of some Consumer Electronics album by Steve Underwood is not an "essay" as some have characterized it, but just a review of a record by a project he already really likes. And although he brings up relevant points about lots of PE fitting into roles rather than doing their own thing, I have to say, fuck his attitude and fuck his "now I have the answer to the question of PE" mentality. In that respect, S.T.A.B. Electronics is doing stuff that might irk you if you agree with his point of view, and it should, because although innovation is welcome, I don't think reinventing the wheel and "making a comeback" is always as important as it is made to sound.

Anyway, various tracks from Day of the Male, The Non-Alliants I & II, and some from Temple of Self-Disgust/Born For Righteous Abuse have already repeated themselves this morning. I'm really hoping I can still pick up a few of these on CD or cassette come January.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Tapio Rautavaara ‎– Kulkurin Taival (Kaikki Levytykset 1946-1979)
All that you need. Had I only been born in Finland under better circumstances, I would never have needed black metal or industrial music in the first place. I could have lived my life accompanied by these CDs. Perhaps one per two years, or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-8ombTrT8A

Owed reviews will come. Patience!
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

MT

Quote from: Stoa on November 30, 2016, 11:44:51 PM
Tapio Rautavaara ‎– Kulkurin Taival (Kaikki Levytykset 1946-1979)
All that you need. Had I only been born in Finland under better circumstances, I would never have needed black metal or industrial music in the first place. I could have lived my life accompanied by these CDs. Perhaps one per two years, or so.

That is one amazing boxset. Mandatory.

Zeno Marx

Chöd - Kala-Nath 1996
Chöd - Psychotic Session + comp tracks 1997-2001

I'd forgotten how traveled and nuanced, yet cohesive, these recordings were.  Tribal death industrial, yet quasi-martial/quasi-power-electronic.  I'm sure that reads as useless to some.  One moment there's dogs howling along side dark ambient and death industrial tones, and the next, it is reminiscent of a Genocide Organ throbbing with a native flute layer (track 13 on Kala-Nath).  Lots of elements, all powerful and sharply layered into something that doesn't sound cluttered or bogged down in idea.  Something that would feel right at home on Aural Hypnox or early Tesco or LOKI Foundation/Power & Steel. The execution is top level.

for listen or download:

https://nostalgiedelaboue.bandcamp.com/album/kala-nath

https://nostalgiedelaboue.bandcamp.com/album/psychotic-session
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

RyanWreck

Looks like I missed out on some good stuff over the past year or so. I really need to find a copy of Trucido / Final Solution asap.

cr

Quote from: RyanWreck on December 02, 2016, 11:45:04 PM
Looks like I missed out on some good stuff over the past year or so. I really need to find a copy of Trucido / Final Solution asap.

If you're not against using Discogs, then maybe this could help:
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/398917213

david lloyd jones

maniac oat. the soundtrack to the original version of maniac available on red vinyl.
as a synch soundtrack from this era, it is of it's time, but comes across as neither of the itallo school or a copy of John carpenter soundtracks.
contains some dialogue from the film-not a lot.
effective non film cover
not as expensive as some monde post stuff

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: Peterson on November 30, 2016, 08:04:38 PM
That review of some Consumer Electronics album by Steve Underwood is not an "essay" as some have characterized it, but just a review of a record by a project he already really likes. And although he brings up relevant points about lots of PE fitting into roles rather than doing their own thing, I have to say, fuck his attitude and fuck his "now I have the answer to the question of PE" mentality.

He's all about jobs for the boys so of course he'd big up one of his own whilst being sniffy about everyone else. That's how a lot of the old boys here in the UK roll. If you're not in their gang you have no right to exist.

If you haven't heard it already then Sick Human Syndrome is a particularly nasty track from STAB. The stand out track for me. Such bile!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_E8q6oScWE

Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Fluid Fetish

Maniac soundtrack is incredible!

Also agreed with Peterson, the "now I have the answer to the question of PE" mentality is so fucking redundant and boring and to me it usually comes across as nothing more then pretentious and annoying. As Gewaltmonopol mentioned it seems especially prominent with certain geographic areas...while I can agree to some extent that the points about PE fitting into roles and being unoriginal or whatever being accurate, I simply can't agree with the attitudes asserting that anything that involves children, war, pedophilia etc. is 'what is wrong with PE'. You usually hear the argument from scenester elitists and keyboard warriors. Apparently Deathpile shouldn't have made GR because Sutcliffe Jugend already did concepts and lyrics about serial killers. Or everyone that uses child or pedophilia imagery is ripping off of BDN or something. Insipid and stupid in my opinion as anyone who listens to these bands capable of any observation beyond a surface level knows that each of them have their own sound, approach, style..

Also agreed, STAB is amazing...nothing groundbreaking but still done right...really, really right.