Packaging involving destroying

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 14, 2015, 12:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volcano Queen

Zoviet France get away with it as they make extravagantly destructible records, like LPs sandwiched between roof tiling, inner sleves made of a latex substance that eventually melts into the record, radioactive feathers—they're appealing as dangerous objects.

In general though, destructive packaging isn't particularly appealing or interesting. I'm glad those full-body cassette labels that blocked the reels went out of fashion.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Volcano Queen on December 04, 2023, 03:16:41 AMZoviet France get away with it as they make extravagantly destructible records, like LPs sandwiched between roof tiling, inner sleves made of a latex substance that eventually melts into the record, radioactive feathers—they're appealing as dangerous objects.

In general though, destructive packaging isn't particularly appealing or interesting. I'm glad those full-body cassette labels that blocked the reels went out of fashion.
P

Speaking of blocking the reels, this reminds me of a tape of my own that was recently released by Fusty Cunt. Void Of Empathy - Fractured Images and the tape itself has a sticker covered over the front of it, you have to push the tape in stereo and puncture the sticker to create holes for the reels. I can't say I've ever seen this before. I'm curious to know if anyone else has seen this before. It makes me wonder is it hard on the stereo to have to spin the reels with the potential of smashed sticker crud and I'm not bitching about the tape one bit, Fusty did an outstanding job with everything, but still makes me wonder if this sticker over the tape itself has been done before.

Volcano Queen

Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 04, 2023, 05:26:56 AMSpeaking of blocking the reels, this reminds me of a tape of my own that was recently released by Fusty Cunt. Void Of Empathy - Fractured Images and the tape itself has a sticker covered over the front of it, you have to push the tape in stereo and puncture the sticker to create holes for the reels. I can't say I've ever seen this before. I'm curious to know if anyone else has seen this before. It makes me wonder is it hard on the stereo to have to spin the reels with the potential of smashed sticker crud and I'm not bitching about the tape one bit, Fusty did an outstanding job with everything, but still makes me wonder if this sticker over the tape itself has been done before.

That's precisely what I'm referring to. I guess Fusty Cunt enjoy that shit. Old Europa Cafe did it back in the 90s, see Incapacitants' "D.D.D.D." for example.

Theodore

Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 04, 2023, 05:26:56 AMthe tape itself has a sticker covered over the front of it, you have to push the tape in stereo and puncture the sticker to create holes for the reels.

Puncture it with a pen, then 'clean' the holes free. Or use a coin and a blade. Or cut a whole window if you like to see the reels inside.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

piisti

I have seen sticker over some Maskhead tape. It gives sealed wibes. Not so much problems with it.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Theodore on December 04, 2023, 07:48:09 AM
Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 04, 2023, 05:26:56 AMthe tape itself has a sticker covered over the front of it, you have to push the tape in stereo and puncture the sticker to create holes for the reels.

Puncture it with a pen, then 'clean' the holes free. Or use a coin and a blade. Or cut a whole window if you like to see the reels inside.

Yep, I that's what I did after. I used a pen to try and clean it up better. It's funny, I've got hundreds of tapes and this might be the first time I've seen this before, but evidently there's been a lot of tapes like this.

DBL

Not related to noise, but I recall Nunslaughter did a 7" with similarly "sealed" center labels. There was a hole in the vinyl itself, but you had to puncture the printed label to be able to play it. I think it was even advertised as a "virgin edition" or something heh... I might be mixing up bands though as I couldn't verify that info with quick googling.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: DBL on December 04, 2023, 04:07:32 PMNot related to noise, but I recall Nunslaughter did a 7" with similarly "sealed" center labels. There was a hole in the vinyl itself, but you had to puncture the printed label to be able to play it. I think it was even advertised as a "virgin edition" or something heh... I might be mixing up bands though as I couldn't verify that info with quick googling.

No, that definitely sounds like Nunslaughter! Haha...NONES BETTER THAN NUNSLAUGHTER!

ritualabuser

The whole "anti-record" thing seems like an art-fag collector extravagance for me, at least when it's being purchased. Being given or traded something like that with actual intent behind it makes a lot more sense. I buy physical media in part for the "preservationist" aspect.

As far as damage to packaging goes, it seems inevitable to some degree if you're actually listening to what you buy, especially in the car etc. So long as the artwork/media is intact, I don't particularly care if I had to rip something open or the case gets scuffed. It does become obnoxious in a cases such as the Grey Wolves-A Wealth Of Misery... 7" where the record itself is stored in some useless wad of tissue paper you have to attempt to put back together every time you listen to it.

ritualabuser

Quote from: DBL on December 04, 2023, 04:07:32 PMNot related to noise, but I recall Nunslaughter did a 7" with similarly "sealed" center labels. There was a hole in the vinyl itself, but you had to puncture the printed label to be able to play it. I think it was even advertised as a "virgin edition" or something heh... I might be mixing up bands though as I couldn't verify that info with quick googling.

Definitely have had a share of these, as well as some where the center hole in the record was too small for the turntable spindle, so I had to take some off with a knife.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: ritualabuser on December 04, 2023, 09:26:54 PM

Definitely have had a share of these, as well as some where the center hole in the record was too small for the turntable spindle, so I had to take some off with a knife.

This same thing happened to me with the XE The White Will 7inch.

Confuzzled

Ideally, form and function would be optimal.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Confuzzled on December 05, 2023, 04:36:15 PMIdeally, form and function would be optimal.
Quote from: ritualabuser on December 04, 2023, 09:25:50 PMThe whole "anti-record" thing seems like an art-fag collector extravagance for me, at least when it's being purchased. Being given or traded something like that with actual intent behind it makes a lot more sense. I buy physical media in part for the "preservationist" aspect.

As far as damage to packaging goes, it seems inevitable to some degree if you're actually listening to what you buy, especially in the car etc. So long as the artwork/media is intact, I don't particularly care if I had to rip something open or the case gets scuffed. It does become obnoxious in a cases such as the Grey Wolves-A Wealth Of Misery... 7" where the record itself is stored in some useless wad of tissue paper you have to attempt to put back together every time you listen to it.

I agree with what you said about keeping collection as part of preservationist aspect, that's how I feel about my collection too.

I don't know the Grey Wolves 7" as I only collect CD and tapes, but by your description I can only envision how annoying trying to put the 7" back in with tissue paper must be. I've had similar instances of the same irritating and annoying circumstances. Another thing that really sucks is when you get those digi sleeves for CDs where there is no wheel plate or whatever and sometimes those discs can be really tight and you feel like you could damn near scratch the disc and then when putting the disc back it feels almost certain like you could scuff it putting it back. Also those CD wooden box sets by Urashima, I love them, but those are a bit tough to get the CDs out of those cardboard sleeves, you've got to almost put enough pressure squeezing the case, but not too hard, as you could potentially bust the sleeve, but enough pressure to slide out the disc without it rubbing to hard against the sleeve. I don't know, maybe I'm the only nutcase that gives this sort of stuff a thought in the first place.

ritualabuser

Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 05, 2023, 07:05:44 PM
Quote from: Confuzzled on December 05, 2023, 04:36:15 PMIdeally, form and function would be optimal.
Quote from: ritualabuser on December 04, 2023, 09:25:50 PMThe whole "anti-record" thing seems like an art-fag collector extravagance for me, at least when it's being purchased. Being given or traded something like that with actual intent behind it makes a lot more sense. I buy physical media in part for the "preservationist" aspect.

I agree with what you said about keeping collection as part of preservationist aspect, that's how I feel about my collection too.

I don't know the Grey Wolves 7" as I only collect CD and tapes, but by your description I can only envision how annoying trying to put the 7" back in with tissue paper must be. I've had similar instances of the same irritating and annoying circumstances. Another thing that really sucks is when you get those digi sleeves for CDs where there is no wheel plate or whatever and sometimes those discs can be really tight and you feel like you could damn near scratch the disc and then when putting the disc back it feels almost certain like you could scuff it putting it back. Also those CD wooden box sets by Urashima, I love them, but those are a bit tough to get the CDs out of those cardboard sleeves, you've got to almost put enough pressure squeezing the case, but not too hard, as you could potentially bust the sleeve, but enough pressure to slide out the disc without it rubbing to hard against the sleeve. I don't know, maybe I'm the only nutcase that gives this sort of stuff a thought in the first place.

Feels like I've had a lot of really tight center spindles on CDs lately, though it's been completely random as to whether or not it's been on a digi, regular, or DCD. Maybe moreso on the latter, but that could also be due to the awkward format.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: ritualabuser on December 05, 2023, 09:56:50 PM
Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 05, 2023, 07:05:44 PM

Feels like I've had a lot of really tight center spindles on CDs lately, though it's been completely random as to whether or not it's been on a digi, regular, or DCD. Maybe moreso on the latter, but that could also be due to the awkward format.

I had one the other day, I had to really press down hard in the center spindle and it was very hard to remove the disc. Every so often you get one of those it seems.