Noise And Physicality

Started by Andrew McIntosh, November 18, 2010, 04:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Just got back from seeing Astro play. I found it almost amazing that with all the incredible sounds going on, the majority of the crowd where just standing there watching. I can't help myself; when surrounded by serious, gut-wrenching Noise I find I have to move. I did. I come from a Metal/Punk background; a sign of respect for the band was to get stuck the fuck in. But Noise, unfortunately, seems to be in a different dimension in a live sense, or in this town it is.

So what do you do? Do you move? Thrash? Chaos dance? Nod and applaud politely after the performance?
Shikata ga nai.

dddonkey

GEWALTMONOPOL

Many noise fags don't like it because it reminds them of when they were picked last for the football team at school. Because they feel they, in their younger years, were prevented from reaching for the sky they try to do the same to others later in life.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

I think it's entirely up to the show. Active dynamic show, which relies on energy, movement and high voltage electrocution, it may call for movement. Yet to move on some massive static? Mosh for slow paced dark sonics? Hmm...
At the same time, I feel the "pit" in front of noise agitation seems like very natural, while I keep always telling the story about No Fun Fest when after seeing great set of AHLZAGAILZEHGUH, I withness two guys talking, and they said nothing about how great the show was. It was all about "did you see me crowdsurfing?!?!? Man that was great" -type of discussion. Yeah. You go to see some great harsh noise, and suddenly it's all about you and the obligatory fists in the air dance moves? hmm... I can see the point in noise as social event, but that's not the case always.

If noise demands my full attention, in it's details, it may be something like Astro, which I have seen play before. It commanded for meditative stillness and focusing on layers of sounds & details, much more than start spastic movements.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tisbor

Like Mikko said , depends on the show.
High energy harsh noise calls for some kind of physical reaction , other sounds make you stand still , or even fall asleep .
The few times i've seen Astro play i was just nodding my head to the psychedelic sound .
His live collaboration with Linekraft i saw in Tokyo was brutal screaming junk metal harsh noise though , people were screaming all around and i guess i did the same .

Zeno Marx

I'm a listener.  Never was a mover.  Enjoyed aerials at some punk shows, but I don't process the energy of other musics like I do that.  I think the energies are similar, but not similar enough to me to incite the same response.  Close my eyes and drift in.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

absurdexposition

The shows I actually make the effort to go out and see, I end up off to the side just watching the bands' performance and enjoying the moments as they pass.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

UGRA

This is my first post here. I have been reading for a while, but just decided to join it today.

I live in Brazil and there´s nothing like a noise / p.e. scene here. Just very few projects and almost no gigs at all.
Yesterday I saw the fisrt show of a foreign noise band in my city. It was Splinter Vs Stalin from Italy, and their show was part of some kind of a festival on Contemporary Arts organized by a really huge institution called SESC. As a part of this same festival, Lou Reed played the infamous "Metal Music Machine" last saturday.
So, yeah, it was a big surprise to know that SVS was going play here.
As I expected, very few people attended the show. Less than 20 in the beginning. By the end of the show, there were like 6. And the room was big enough for at least 200 +.
Anyway, they did a pretty great and intense show. They played just one piece that lasted for almost 1 hour. After 20 minutes, I was so absorbed in the massive walls of sound that I really wanted to scream and walk around nervously. Really strange, because I have never been the kind of "mosh pit guy" on punk/metal gigs. Anyway, I couldn´t move because I was filming the show for SVS´s member Cristiano, but it was a great experience nevertheless.

tiny_tove

moshpit guy and stagediver (also from columns of pa) in the hardcore years, now I stand still as if I have a broomstick up my ass. aging people with office bellies shouldn't dance

it is great seeing people loosing control at gigs, but this should happen only with certain atmosphere.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

a_2_g_2

Bringing this thread back to life I guess

I was Ende Tymes 2015 were there was plenty of moshing. It was 3am and One Dark Eye (aka Rodger Stella, ex Macronympha) was playing and there was a pretty good pit of 9 or 10 people. The rest of the crowd was standing pretty far back while I was rite in front of Rodger. The thing about his set was that i wasn't all that "dynamic" it was very ambient/HNW-esqe. I guess since some people had been there all day and that this might have been the last set of the night that they might as well go crazy? I guess it really does depend on the show, but I guess moshing at 3am to noise sounds like a good story to tell huh?

I guess i'm only bringing this up because. I was also at Punk Island 2015 last sunday. Were some traditional (not pop punkor ska) hardcore bands couldn't get a pit going, kinda sad really. Its really awkward having a crowd stand still while the vocalist is screaming about political shit. overall had a good time, and still did a bunch of moshing to some very good bands.
sorry if this post sound really blog-ish

Leewar

Too old and miserable to stagedive and mosh, though ive found myself getting more 'tranced out' by just watching bands these days, losing myself mentally as opposed to physically.

Cementimental

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on November 18, 2010, 06:45:17 PM
Many noise fags don't like it because it reminds them of when they were picked last for the football team at school. Because they feel they, in their younger years, were prevented from reaching for the sky they try to do the same to others later in life.
That's funny, sports was the bane of my life at school and I was always loitering around in defence as far from the ball as possible, yet I'm the one always in the pit at PE gigs, usually to read Serious Industrial dudes moaning on forums afterwards about all these terrible hipsters ruining it by daring to have fun & push people about like it's some dumb metal show. :D

Personally it doesn't bother me, sometimes audiences seem insufficiently enthusiastic but it's like that for all genres sometimes especially in London. Also a lot of noise gigs here are at weird times of the week, people aren't going to go two crazy at 9pm on a tuesday no matter how mindblowing the performance. Depends on a load of factors about the atmosphere, sound, audience, sometimes people standing still and just listening is apt, sometimes I look up from my pedals and half the crowd are on the floor wrestling :)

Dr Alex

On the incapacitants video from Oslo I saw amazing crowd. It's like on some metal show. I like that.
For me, depends of feeling.

For bands, this is one of the best noise performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KvEMBMLerc
Pure energy!! Real noise!!

FreakAnimalFinland

If we talk about physicality of sounds, rather than live performance aspect a'la spastic movement... Then I'd agree, that most of noise I value the highest, are sounds from physical acts or something what happens with direct connection to body.

For example, when I think of ambient or drone music of some sort, nothing is more boring for me than someone with keyboards or software. Making seemingly nice waves of sound, but lacking utterly physical aspect. Some may ask what is the difference of playing cymbal with bow, or letting reverb drenched guitar feedback with little guidance  vs. pushing key on keyboard. Simple explanation would be: Personal preference!

Perhaps moment when someone really starts modulating (hehe..), synthesizer can be interesting, but it most often still seems "just a synth", compared to entire existence of sounds that can be made or are happening.

I perhaps have talked about it many times before, but some sounds have intrinsic nature of being loud. Synthesizer is only as loud as you amplify it. Impression of recording changes when volume is less. Same sound, no matter if distorted and raw, may be just quiet electronic signal if you listen it at low volume.
Human yelling, explosion, car-crash, metal junk being thrown around, etc. It may give impression of loud and abrasive, despite listened at low volume from record. One could say, document of loud situation.  This is also difference one may often hear from tiny metal object run through "hall reverb" vs. actually big and physically demanding object. Shake-box via distortion vs. 3 x 6 metric scrap metal object. Physical reality may offer possibilities very far from simulations.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

dubduboverlord

Quote from: tiny_tove on November 25, 2010, 12:14:45 PM
aging people with office bellies shouldn't dance

DISAGREE

Came out of a decade-long moshpit retirement last year at a glorious Floor gig. Woke up hobbling, convinced I had injured myself. Turned out I had just put my pajama pants on backward before going to sleep.

Not too much physical response from noise / experimental audiences around here. Maybe woozy swaying, depending on the act. Caught a great physical performance from Pedestrian Deposit a few months back:

https://youtu.be/H3Fza6vAz-Y