Anckarström

Started by heretogo, December 19, 2009, 01:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heretogo

I've recently become semi-obsessed with this old (early 90s) Swedish label, run by CM von Hausswolff. I guess there were originally supposed to be 11 releases, for every letter in the word "Anckarström" (a guy who assasinated a Swedish king in late 1700's). But there are at least two more releases, a 7" by Leif Elggren + a cd by somebody called Maya Eizin. All the cds are packaged in nice uniform oversized cd-wallets.

The following discography taken from Discogs:

A1 Sons Of God, The Mission (CD) 1991
N2 Arcane Device, Also Sprach Zarathustra (CD) 1991
C3 Hafler Trio, The The Hafler Trio Play The Hafler Trio (CD, Album) 1991
K4 Zbigniew Karkowski, Uexkull (CD) 1991
A5 Phauss, Nya Sverige - Nothing But The Truth (CD) 1991
R6 Stelarc, Stelarc (CD) 1991
S7 White Stains, The Somewhat Lost Horizon (CD) 1991
T8 If, Bwana / XTSW, R.ISMV.1 (CD) 1991
R9 John Duncan, River In Flames (CD) 1991
Ö10 Dror Feiler, The Celestial Fire (CD, Album) 1991
M11 Hafler Trio, The Negentropy (LP, Ltd) 1994
C XII Leif Elggren, The New Immortality (7", Eng) 1991
T16 Maya Eizin, Tokyo Television... (CD, Maxi) 1994

At the moment I only have the Phauss, Stelarc, If Bwana / XTSW, Sons of God and Arcane Device cds. Some of the others are available on Discogs but I'm reluctant to pay > 30 euros. Advice for where to get this stuff for reasonable prices is greatly appreciated.

Anyway, right now I'm listening to the If, Bwana / XTSW disc. Very nice understated electro-acoustic work. Develops slowly with a somber lingering mood. The recording quality is very nice, a lot of "room ambiance" and a nice echo-y feeling overall. Perefct for lazy Saturday listening.

Maybe some of the Swedes on the board have stories / trivia to share about the label?

Strömkarlen

There is a 6 CD box also with different Swedish artist doing stuff. I don't have any copies at home but I have a couple of spare ones at work. The ones I can remember are Bigert & Bergström, Maya Eizin, Jan Håfström (great artist back in the Eigthies), Max Book and two more.

Not really much to say about Anckarström. It was started by CM von Hausswolff and Erik Pauser after Radium collapsed and was sold to MNV (large "indepentent" record label in Sweden). It was suppose to take the experimental stuff from Radium and make a new label. They got a hugh grant from the Goverment and released the serie and a couple of more odd releases.

They never got it going like when they started Radium which was a great magazin, record label and arranger of stupid/great events. (Tommy this one is for you.)

They then moved on. Hausswolff in the art world and Pauser in the videoart/documnetary world. I run into them ever now and then. I actually think that Fireworks run by the Sons of God is a much more interesting label.

heretogo

Quote from: Strömkarlen on December 19, 2009, 04:59:53 PMI actually think that Fireworks run by the Sons of God is a much more interesting label.

I definitely agree about the greatness of Firework Edition. Sadly under-appreciated label, I feel. Maybe they are lacking some essential cultness and mystique to make them popular. All kinds of stuff there, but also material that should be appreciated by the noise crowd. Very good use of public funding, as I understand.

imaginaryforces

I recently found the complete collection of these CDs where I work. I have to say, some great music and covers quite a range.

Steve

I was in London last Friday (10th) and the Record & Tape Exchange in Notting Hill Gate had the first 9 CD's for sale. £14.00 each. I bought the John Duncan "River In Flames" copy. Should've bought the lot I suppose!

imaginaryforces

Quote from: Steve on December 13, 2010, 09:40:14 AM
I was in London last Friday (10th) and the Record & Tape Exchange in Notting Hill Gate had the first 9 CD's for sale. £14.00 each. I bought the John Duncan "River In Flames" copy. Should've bought the lot I suppose!

Hahah! Too late now. I got the rest.

EDIT: Actually I think there are one or two left that I wasn't interested in.

Steve

Damn you! I wish I had bought te IF Bwana release now......

imaginaryforces

Quote from: Steve on December 15, 2010, 09:03:31 PM
Damn you! I wish I had bought te IF Bwana release now......

Well, in that case you are in luck as I didn't get that one. It was still in the display cabinet when I was at work last. I am working this weekend so I can check if it is still there and let you know if you want?