Instagram as marketplace

Started by accidental, January 30, 2022, 04:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on January 31, 2022, 06:18:38 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 31, 2022, 05:18:04 PM
Still it's interesting how "missing out" will inform the tastes, at least where I stand.

What tastes are you referring to?

Well, I'm referring, not unironically, to tastes which have no legitimate basis in the quality of the sounds (or art). I'm acknowledging that access is itself on some level (perhaps unfortunately) influencing my ability to qualify the shit entering the earhole.

This is not an ideal, not by any stretch. But an undeniable factor that deserves at least a line or two of acknowledgement.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 31, 2022, 06:44:52 PM
Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on January 31, 2022, 04:53:51 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 30, 2022, 05:08:25 PM
antisocial it actually is?

Like anything in life its up to YOU how you want to play the game/interact on IG. Its just as easy to be sociable and grow just as it is to keep everyone away and uninterested in what you are doing. Just like approaching ones art, its the same.

For me, social interaction would be things like actual talk, actual discussion.

Direct Messages is the way to go with interacting with people on IG. 

Have a great discussion going currently with Like Weeds, Andy Nolan, Misery Engine, and Ryan Bloomer. Not to mention the hundreds of convos Ive had related to gear, releases, etc. Just about everything you'd find folks talking about here.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Zeno Marx

Being resourceful.  Avoiding fees.  Sounds like good use to me.  Until the platform catches wind and wants their cut.  In the meantime, get down with your bad selves.  If there is a downside to it, it's further fracturing of the already greatly fractured, but that is how it is today.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

THE RITA HN

You definitely avoid a lot of the bullshit when you treat IG simply like a place to post flyers.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on January 31, 2022, 07:25:41 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 31, 2022, 06:44:52 PM
For me, social interaction would be things like actual talk, actual discussion.

Direct Messages is the way to go with interacting with people on IG.  

Have a great discussion going currently with Like Weeds, Andy Nolan, Misery Engine, and Ryan Bloomer. Not to mention the hundreds of convos Ive had related to gear, releases, etc. Just about everything you'd find folks talking about here.

What I mean, is of course that it would other peoples discussion that one can follow. One good example, where discussion does happen to certain extent, is FB "noise now playing" group. Of course some post just pics and one liners, but also more. Plus people may discuss in comments. This is way to discover new recordings, that are not just self promotion, but fans talking (publicly) with other fans and one may lurk there checking out things.

IG private messages is certainly something else. I talk to people privately all the time elsewhere (email, whatsup, messanger, telegram, even this forum,... ) already now seems so scattered that more apps for chatting, I hope not. I'd rather see more public reviews, public discussions, as it feels that would benefit the genre way more than more "market places".
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

chryptusrecords

people selling stuff second-hand seems like the LEAST insidious aspect of instagram. like taylor says private listings will happen anywhere regardless. the REAL "marketplace" effect of the platform is the commodification of the music itself, and the reduction of creative impulses down to whatever meme-wave happens to be passing through the public consciousness at the time. all aesthetics become interchangeable, seeing black metal font does not mean black metal anymore, seeing "b/w pictures of guys in ruins" could be industrial, or techno, or some graffiti street artist, or anything. so much information REDUCES peoples' ability to conceive really new things. there are too many points of reference.

edit: for me, i can't type the names of some of my projects on instagram because they get immediately flagged ("controlled opposition," "weird dick,") it's an interesting challenge :)

Bloated Slutbag

Have a great discussion going currently with Like Weeds

Are we to gather that some sort of collabo is in the works? Like, that would be rad.
And take you for a drag

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on February 04, 2022, 05:28:30 AM

Are we to gather that some sort of collabo is in the works? Like, that would be rad.

We've been discussing it albeit briefly but count on it happening. Really fucking with Kenny's approach these days majorly. Large body electronics.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

W.K.

Redacted: sorry guys I shouldn't complain so much.
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on February 04, 2022, 08:22:42 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on February 04, 2022, 05:28:30 AM

We've been discussing it albeit briefly but count on it happening. Really fucking with Kenny's approach these days majorly. Large body electronics.

Best news this week!
And take you for a drag

ekastaka

Haven't seen much of private listings on Instagram, but there is something to be said of social media/technology and the deterioration of authentic community/art.

I've used Instagram to promote releases but it's never been some conscious effort. Just happened to have a personal account where I would post updates on what I've been working on while still posting releases on forums/sending physical flyers. The medium is convenient for keeping up to date, but as stated there should still be an effort made to carry things over onto forums or with real life contacts. And as time goes on, the more I see Instagram's primary value as a place for shit posting/aesthetic dumps. But now, you have label Instagram accounts running giveaways via story reposts. Simply speaking, that is extremely gay.

When the m.o. and ethics are simply just a microscale imitation of the wider culture, can you still call it underground? While the internet/social media gives us undeniable pros such as spreading (mis)information and expedient communication, underground music should still be something that primarily occupies physical space. Bandcamp only releases, noise label Instagram giveaways, etc just run counter to what draws me in to underground cultures. I see the aforementioned developments as manifestations of striver and high time preference impulses.