N.

Started by Balor/SS1535, January 27, 2022, 03:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

I recently aquired a copy of the "Resignation" compilation of three late-1990s tapes by this Italian project (the self-titled, "Born to Die," and "Nyeizvestnaya").  I really enjoyed all of them, especially the self-titled debut, because he is able to create such evocative compositions despite only using an extremely minimal setup (it sounds like there is often only a single synth, though some of the other cassettes have the occasional sample).

http://www.boringnoise.com/

Any recomendations as to where to go next with this project (or other similar artists to listen to)?  From the looks of Discogs, he still seems to be active.

Andrew McIntosh

If you can track down a copy of "Hospital Murders", you'll be doing very well. First I heard of this project (a download from the late, lamented "Mutant Sounds" blog), very Atrax Morgue/early BDN, nice, dark, basic Death Industrial. Mostly just one sound source with the occasional other features.

He's down some fairly louder sounding material over the years but his more recent releases, like "Regret Session" from last year and "The Same Destination for Everyone" from 2019 are a bit more sedate and sinister.

"Boring Noise" is a something I wish I'd thought of - however sincere or not he is with it, I admire it. I enjoy this project's self-pitying/contemptuous image.

EDIT - for similar artists, I suggest Subklinik. More orthodox Death Industrial, although he also has his Dark Ambient moments as well.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

For me, most impact was with the early Slaughter label stuff.
It is so long ago, that my memory might be doing tricks, but how I remember those early exposures to N., it was more death industrial, and very bleak. Of course it had that later on too, but felt that later works were certainly the boring noise category, but more... ehm.. playful? Still like playing things, changing sounds, slightly testing where to go, and sometimes work, sometimes feel like just testing out.
This said, it may be also Slaughter prod connection, that made impression of unusually dark and bleak in early releases?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on January 28, 2022, 06:55:01 AM
If you can track down a copy of "Hospital Murders", you'll be doing very well. First I heard of this project (a download from the late, lamented "Mutant Sounds" blog), very Atrax Morgue/early BDN, nice, dark, basic Death Industrial. Mostly just one sound source with the occasional other features.

He's down some fairly louder sounding material over the years but his more recent releases, like "Regret Session" from last year and "The Same Destination for Everyone" from 2019 are a bit more sedate and sinister.

"Boring Noise" is a something I wish I'd thought of - however sincere or not he is with it, I admire it. I enjoy this project's self-pitying/contemptuous image.

EDIT - for similar artists, I suggest Subklinik. More orthodox Death Industrial, although he also has his Dark Ambient moments as well.

Thanks!  From the looks of Discogs, it should not be too difficult to find a copy of "Hospital Murders" at some point.

I downloaded the free live albums that he put up on his website too.  From the sound of it, they seem a bit more ambient/atmospheric than the early cassettes - not boring, but less hard might be the way to put it.

Andrew McIntosh

Some of the releases I've got, like "Boring Noise" (four cdr release of live performances) and "Failure" can get into harder-to-take frequencies. Hard, sharp, abrasive, but clean.

Just looking around, I found this release of one of his other projects -

https://butchershouseprod.bandcamp.com/album/bhp026-mcr73-atonal-orgasm
Shikata ga nai.

FallOfNature

I still have a handful of the Hospital Murders reissue I released awhile back.

Great project, more than a handful of great releases. Personal favourites include the above mentioned and the Slaughter era stuff

Ashmonger

Not very familiar with the project, first thing I remembered was the 10" on Cipher Productions, recent release, but I quite liked it.
Going through discogs I realised I also have the split tape with Order of the Violence, which is short, but pretty good and the Hospital Murders tape, which I remember not doing much for me, minimal and bleak indeed, but not enough to really pull me in.

markov00

A great tape is also "The Same Destination for Everybody" released on Deathbed Tapes
Some other great releases are from Beton (   Sounds For Empty Rooms, Sette Piani and    City Of Broken Wheelchairs) and its sublabel Tavole Anatomiche (where the packaging is also well done)