SPK- At the Crypt Question

Started by Fluid Fetish, April 19, 2016, 05:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluid Fetish

So, I recently picked this up for a fairly cheap price and was told that it was a green j-card version that does not have the Sterile Records stamp on the inside. I immediately presumed this was a bootleg but picked it up anyway, come to find out that the recording is split over 2 sides of the tape, the tape just has a blank white label on it rather then the Sterile Records label that can be seen on discogs, and cuts off at about a minute early.

What is weird is the tape shell still looks exactly like the style that Sterile Records was using, and everything else does look legitimate including having the blank white sticker on the cassette shell, just no Sterile Records ink stamp as pictured on Discogs. The person I bought it from is somewhat trustworthy, an SPK fan himself and said that he either got this from SPK or Sterile Records themselves and cutting the tape slightly short was something they would have done.

To get to the goddamn nerdy point here, has anyone else seen or have a copy of At The Crypt with the green j-card I've described?  Does yours cut short about a minute or look similar to mine? I couldn't find anything on the internet about this at all and I think I might return it for a definite official copy...

Preemptive thanks, even if no one knows what the fuck I'm talking about here haha.

bitewerksMTB

The only S.R. tape I own is the "Lustmordekay" cassette. I'll have to dig it out to check out if it has a label on the shell. Checking photos of their other tapes, they all have the same type of label.

Post a photo of the release you have. I would say it's a bootleg if a collector put it up for a "fairly cheap price". It doesn't look like any of the Sterile cassette covers were printed on color paper.

I would think if SPK did their own version at the time, they would probably have designated as such but maybe not. Who knows? It's the risk you take when dealing with old-ass industrial tapes.

Fluid Fetish

Thanks for your info./feedback bitewerks. Bootleg it appears to be then from what I can tell here...especially as you pointed out none of the other Sterile covers were printed in color paper and ALWAYS had that ink stamp on them. Definitely always part of the risk buying old tapes is getting weird versions, band made copies, bootlegs etc...kind of part of the fun of the gamble I suppose. I think I'm going to send this back rather then take this any further. Thanks again!

Fluid Fetish

Yes! I paid about 30$ with shipping and all for this one, although the seller is being very helpful and easy to deal with and is letting me send it back. The other one is a confirmed offical copy of From Science to Ritual which I paid about 60$ for (before shipping) that comes with the magazine, so I kind of got a deal, even though I also won't pay to excessively for tapes....From Science is easily my favorite SPK though so it's well worth it for me. Easily one of my favorite albums of all time.

That Bleeding Images VHS looks incredible! I've heard about it before but just in passing, I need to check out more Nocturnal Emissions period. Discogs information states:

"Not suitable for people under the age of 18 or with nervous disorders or other health frailties. Includes: Barbarik sex rituals, Brain surgery, Slaughterhouse, Vivisection, Graveyard desecration, Erotica."

Sounds good to me! haha

Also thanks theotherjohn for showing me the Vinyl-On-Demand site, definitely going to check this out..

Steve

Your SPK cassette is probably a Japanese bootleg. "Live At The Crypt" on Sterile was only in White Covers.

david lloyd jones

this seems answered now but for info, most sterile tapes had white sleeves (except lustmordekay which was grey), all had typed release numbers except my copy of 'live at the crypt'. later releases had the sterile address as part of the cover not stamped on.