Banned from discogs, again...

Started by Galactic Plagve, June 14, 2016, 10:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I find it quite good that stuff gets banned from discogs. Of course it is convenient method, but this had a lot negative effects for underground. I don't advocate that things should be difficult, but still... it is quite odd situation in history when one gigantic marketplace/platform dominates over everything. It creates false ideas of exaggerated value. At the same time also utmost decrease of value. So many seems to shift from having distro list, website or any sort of identity, just to be one of countless merchants of discogs. Or trading changed to everybody being seller.

I'm pretty sure that for a lot of items, this won't mean that they will be way harder to get. Perhaps it will return that many albums would be priced more realistic and sold with classified ads etc. I wouldn't mind that I could get some release I missed, for realistic price instead of only seeing dealers who wait for one fool who pays 5 times more than item is worth. Only because it's listed at platform that reaches all music consumers of world, instead classified ad at forum (for example).

There is no shortage of places to deal outrageous music. You got tons of labels dealing with potentially problematic materials and lots of closed social media groups focused on trading & selling & buying records you can't publicly access. One could guess that few years of discogs open policy was just anomaly in situation.

Just some weeks ago, major players of internet and European union agreed on suppressing "hate speech". According to deal, all the places, including facebook, youtube, microsoft, etc. agreed to investigate and deal with every report of misuse within 24h and delete content etc. Meaning wrong kind of content posted on youtube. Hateful stuff at facebook. etc. I would not be surprised if suddenly we'll start to see certain types of power electronics disappear from such services. What can you do? Cry for free speech? Fuck that.

Some material what has been banned is clearly just misunderstanding. Others are totally correct choices if one is really aiming to ban "hateful music".
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

aububs

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 14, 2016, 09:13:52 PMWhat can you do? Cry for free speech? Fuck that.

exactly.

some stuff gets banned on discogs.

who gives a shit.

Galactic Plagve

Quote from: aububs on June 14, 2016, 09:47:20 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 14, 2016, 09:13:52 PMWhat can you do? Cry for free speech? Fuck that.

exactly.

some stuff gets banned on discogs.

who gives a shit.

Can't really argue with this logic... Suppose I've become too accustomed to convenience.

Still, it's frustrating that these crybabies continue to get their way, for whatever reason.

Zeno Marx

It's a business, first and foremost, not a service.  Protecting their interests.  Avoiding potential hassles, which take time and energy, which costs money and resources.  Not all that difficult to understand.  If it squeezes your testies that much, don't use it.  Take a stand.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Galactic Plagve

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 14, 2016, 10:35:38 PM
It's a business, first and foremost, not a service.  Protecting their interests.  Avoiding potential hassles, which take time and energy, which costs money and resources.  Not all that difficult to understand.

No, it isn't hard at all. My original point though, was to find if there was a impetus for these recent bans; after all they've been quite willing to allow transactions of 'questionable material' to take place even since the XE & clandestine blaze bans a while back.

It just seems to me that some pressure is being applied from somewhere, and was basically trying to find out if anyone knew anything of it.

Though, it now seems that it's probably just a case of Lizzy Veldon and her legion of offendable trannies doing what they do best...

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Time for set up a new method for trade/sale :) I am happy that it happened!

Guldur

Time to say goodbye to Discogs....this is a great example of concentrated stupidity and prejudice which is criticized by the whole industrial culture since the late 70's.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Guldur on June 14, 2016, 11:28:57 PM
Time to say goodbye to Discogs....this is a great example of concentrated stupidity and prejudice which is criticized by the whole industrial culture since the late 70's.

Yeah!! Share this opinion! There is only need creating something instead of that :)

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 14, 2016, 09:13:52 PM
I find it quite good that stuff gets banned from discogs.

This.

80% of the time I usually just set up all my transactions on discogs and then just pay directly through paypal to bypass their shit eatting fees anyway. There are methods and loopholes around everything.

david lloyd jones

deal directly with seller, send cash.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 14, 2016, 10:35:38 PM
It's a business, first and foremost, not a service.  Protecting their interests.  Avoiding potential hassles, which take time and energy, which costs money and resources.  Not all that difficult to understand.  If it squeezes your testies that much, don't use it.  Take a stand.

When something is more or less monopolized by a single business (discogs, facebook), this distinction becomes largely irrelevant. Also, few people seriously entertain the view that private companies can do what they please. If Discogs banned the sale of homosexual/muslim/whatever artists, the argument that they wanted to avoid potential hassles would silence exactly zero of their critics, so there is no reason for offended industrial fans to be silent either, if they dislike what the company is doing. I think one of the reasons why idiots are winning is that non-idiots are refusing to act like idiots, but keep on pretending that there are common sense principles to which most people adhere. There may have been for a brief period, or in some transcendental domain of Rationality & Wisdom, but in the present, real world of politics and culture, there are none. Stupidity and exaggeration are possibly better than violence?

That being said, I think FreakAnimalFinland's assessment of the Discogs situation is spot on. I already found mint copies of "Remember" and a couple of classic tapes I wanted. For new stuff, I'm fine with flyers, zines and tape trading, if necessary.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Johann

I assume the bans are because of complaints from the same trolls that plagued the troniks forum calling for BU and Deathkey boycotts, or those responsible for the slimelight DIJ protest. I doubt many normal discogs users stumble upon noise, industrial or pe type stuff. The problem is within our own "scene".

The ironic thing is that they allow the sale of NIN album with songs like Hurt or stuff by M. Manson which probably inspired far more impressionable young people to self harm and that you can easily buy skrewdriver records or copies of Body Counts cop killer. I think that if it matters to a discogs user, and they want to voice an opinion we need to figure out a way to contact the moderators or discogs directly and articulate intelligently why this stuff shouldn't be banned.

I am no great supporter of a lot of nsbm, sexism or whatever. But acts artist aren't being fairly targeted and artistic expression should be respected even if the opinion is unpopular.

Dr Alex

They should just make some filters for naziphobic users and similar wimps who can't dealt with extreme themes and not to ban all people to buy that kind of releases. I just wanted to purchase Con-Dom - All In Good Faith and fuck damn discogs assholes! They should ban whores like Miley Cyrus not good old extreme industrial or black metal!

Otomo_Hava

Worried about this anonymously exaggeration of "fighting against fasicsm" ways wherever it may come from, banning (anti)cultural art.
No matter how graphic or offensive an artistic expression is, it shouldn't be allowed to be mindlessly treated without giving the perspective of doing it.
Sometimes, it's the human mind trying to find alibis on art just to find "excuses" and "blames" for executing crimes not just the media, according to past and present atrocities that happened and happening all the time, not referring only to the Orlando incident.
What should be next, nazisploitation or any exploititive-themed movies?

Duncan

I think if enough of the people upset about this were to take equal action and collectively write to discogs with their counter argument and complaint you may see some kind of new dimension to these actions develop.

Bottom feeding record nerds and music fans on all sides of the political spectrum can fight among each other about whose voice is most representing a worrying shift in whatever societal direction, but we're nothing but demographics to the major websites and services that allow us to articulate and circulate our cultures.  Right now, PC left brigade are shouting the loudest and waving their pound notes about more furiously, so either compete on that level or find alternatives, cos whining about other people's whining doesn't seem to be helping.