Having no interest in your own scene

Started by martialgodmask, June 22, 2016, 12:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martialgodmask

I've just been reading an interview with a duo who are asked for their thoughts on the state of the P.E./industrial scene, to which they indicate they have no interest in it. This isn't the first time I've seen such disinterest, but I find it a curious notion and it almost seems a little...contrived, perhaps. Whilst I don't think obsessional fandom is a pre-requisite for making this (or any other for that matter) type of music, it comes across somewhat odd that there would be no apparent interest at all.

Is it therefore just bluster, good for defining a "fuck off" image or pretense of oneself or is it a reality that is more prevalent than I had realised? My impression of most people I see or hear making P.E./industrial is there is an amount of interest in the scene - to varying degrees and tastes, of course - so a total disconnect seems somewhat odd.

GEWALTMONOPOL

If it's the so called scene they are distancing themselves from then that's fair enough but if it's the music then that's just bullshit. Dislike and shun the scene all you like but the moment you have no love for the music it's time to fuck off.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

martialgodmask

Maybe that's it, I'm possibly overlooking a distinction between the two. In my head, I read it as "I make industrial but have no interest in it" which is more what I was driving at in the OP. I've certainly seen this sentiment too, but my original pondering probably creates two questions that can be distinguished from each other.

When I talk about scene, I'm not talking cliques, circle jerks or celebrity but I shouldn't assume that others see it in the same terms.

Cauldhame

Stepping outside of PE/Industrial for a moment, when this topic comes up it's usually Varg Vikernes who springs to my mind first, given how emphatic he is about dismissing the last twenty five years' worth of black metal out of hand. However excellent and/or innovative the bands are, as far as I can tell no amount of past achievements will protect a band from becoming stale and stunted if they deliberately isolate themselves. To my ears all post-prison Burzum is prime evidence that no one is immune from being left behind and that active denial will only accelerate that process. I can only imagine what sort of albums he might be making now if only he had been prepared to accept that there's always something new to learn and that other, younger musicians might just have something valid to contribute after all.

So, a bit of a tangent as I don't know how much this follows for the people you're referring to here, but that's my take on this.    

How about we turn this one around and ask why people should have an interest in their local scene?

cantle

I read an interview with Godflesh in Wire magazine where he said the same thing about the metal scene. Never been a fan of Godflesh and that just goes to prove my point.

Fluid Fetish

I'm not a musician, but I would think that having a refined pallete in regards to musical tastes/knowledge would definitely aid an artist in putting his art into execution, perspective, context and could be a deciding factor in many ways. I've heard from a lot of bands and popular musicians that they aren't familiar with what is going on in their respective genre/scene and they want it that way so that their influences are pure and come from themselves rather then say, for example, making art that is subconsciously, unconsciously, or intentionally reactionary in the sense that the artistic creation is more of a product of it's environment or other external influences rather then pure artistic vision. Having said that, a lot of bands that do this surprisingly seem to falter, whereas some of the best bands out there wear their influences on their sleeves but do something different and original with them (the first albums of Darkthrone taking the Hellhammer/Bathory/CF style and doing something else completely new on the first few black metal albums while still maintaining those influences, brilliant).

To use another example from punk, I don't think the guys in Amebix have ANY idea what's going on in punk or metal the past 30 years. They released Sonic Mass and as pure and Ambeixish as it sounds at times, other sections of the album sound like fucking Disturbed to me. I know this wasn't intentional, as I don't think the Baron has probably ever even heard of Disturbed, but never the less....I still can't get into that album haha.

Burzum was another good example to use, he definitely has no idea how useless his current output is and that his time has come and gone, and other people are doing what he is trying to do now much more efficiently.

Bleak Existence

Johann

I guess it would largely depend on where they were located globally and what "scene" means to them. For example in the USA we are a fairly large country with many different groups of participating individuals, mostly cliques and groups of friends, so it is easily understandable to me having little interest in the local scene or functioning as an outsider in it.

I also think one could have little interest in contemporary PE/Industrial but seek to make it because of the historical influences. One could argue that contemporary acts aren't really expanding on the genre, or people once interested are now looking back rather than looking forward for influence/interest.

Potier

I think that in a lot of cases musicians or other artists will resort to these kinds of statements in order to make themselves appear more interesting, mysterious or truly opinionated which may attract more attention to their particular cause. Often it appears that people look at their own material as something truly outstanding or special - therefore they do not want to be lumped in with the rest of "the scene". A lot of these efforts can also be seen in the fact that people consistently create new genres and sub-genres as well as elaborate descriptions for their material to generate something that catches the eye and makes their output stand out in comparison to what could be considered mainstream.
I believe that a level of frustration with local groups or artistic communities plays a significant role in this context as well. Hurt feelings lead to resentment - not only of individuals but possibly also across the board.

Brad

Quote from: cantle on June 22, 2016, 03:41:00 AM
I read an interview with Godflesh in Wire magazine where he said the same thing about the metal scene. Never been a fan of Godflesh and that just goes to prove my point.

I think that's just because they consider Godflesh to be more of an industrial band than a metal band.  Their recent opening acts have tended to be industrial/noise people (Prurient, Cut Hands, Pharmakon, etc.). 

I look at it in the opposite way. I think there is way too much inflation in music these days. Too much awareness of genre.

tiny_tove

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on June 22, 2016, 12:24:08 AM
If it's the so called scene they are distancing themselves from then that's fair enough but if it's the music then that's just bullshit. Dislike and shun the scene all you like but the moment you have no love for the music it's time to fuck off.

reminds me of the famous wolfeyes "noise is death" interview...
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

cantle

Quote from: Brad on June 22, 2016, 07:48:10 AM
Quote from: cantle on June 22, 2016, 03:41:00 AM

I think that's just because they consider Godflesh to be more of an industrial band than a metal band.  Their recent opening acts have tended to be industrial/noise people (Prurient, Cut Hands, Pharmakon, etc.). 

They got their start in the metal scene by being Swans copyists no? Seems to me that they think they are better than that now.

FreakAnimalFinland

Already so many replies, hard to focus...
I read the same interview ( I assume), and I remember talking to friend who read the same interview and we talked about it. I don't think if "own scene" means local scene, then it's just gamble. I can happily say that I am both involved and interested in Finnish scene. Country is so small, we can call it local. But I assume many people may feel completely alien in their local scene.

Their ideas, sound and interest relates to some specific time and place... and idea, other than for example local guys with funny hats organizing laptop events.

However, all the messages of veterans sort of losing perspective is easy to connect to genuine interest and involvement in scene. No matter how bitterly critical, at Whitehouse's prime years, you can see Bennett review other noise releases in KATAlogues. The times when Merzbow was writing, compiling and playing with other noise groups mark absolute essential years of Merzbow compared to days he expresses zero interest in other things than "making next recording". I don't know for sure, are there any noise bands who are better when they lost passion to listen? But my strong assumption is: NO.

I do think there is a lot similar in being stuck in "local social scene" as well as being outside everything. Both of these involve strong disinterest in seeking what is GREAT FUCKING NOISE. Wasting time on some local guys out of "obligation" and not seeking what is vital, creative and powerful at this very moment (or before). Or wasting your time on creating shit, thinking fooling around with kaoz pad and generic laptop plugins makes your work somehow noteworthy. Because lacking all ability to see what is happening out there. All being focused on fact that anything is worthy because your own cluelessness.

If you follow atleast something. Not even as obsessive fanboy, you may realize why not all local acts are worth praise, or why your own stuff needs to be go further...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net