What Are Your Essentials?

Started by Andrew McIntosh, December 17, 2015, 02:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

One of my favourite parts of our favourite magazine has always been The Essentials. I love reading artists wax lyrical about the music that not just inspired them, but that they love anyway. So I thought it would be nice if you posted not just the releases/gigs/projects/etc. that have inspired you, but the reasons why, in the same manner as the regular column in SI.

(By that I mean, not just a list of names. Put some effort into it.).

And a question that goes with it - how do your Essentials change over the years?
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

I wrote my essentials before SI#1 came out. As example for other people what was the aim for the series. I think it was published in TERROR #2 zine interview?

How the essentials changes over the years. Maybe only in a way, that it is painfully obvious that top-10 is just not enough. Every release on my original list, would hold its place, but at the same time, as soon as you start to think about the options, it's hard to really rationalize why those 10, out of 100 or 1000 titles hold the top listing. You could do another set of 10 and be pretty much equally firm about conclusion of those be absolutely essential. More time goes on, more options there are to consider...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

pentd

the test of time is the best test?! what has followed YOU since you were a teeniebopper? is there stuff that has come and gone, but then there is some that still rip you a new one after these years? one for me is the cramps, or as the announfer wif a lifp (on "smell of female") sez: the crampf! mein krampf!!

wash in blood

I think this topic has potential; I'm working on my list.

Andrew McIntosh - what are yours?

holy ghost

Every time I try to think about writing a list down I feel like I could never accurately sum it up and it would push me to the brink of insanity

But I could TRY.....

NO PART OF IT

Mnemonists - "Roto Limbs" cassette
Zone Nord - RRRecycled tape
Illusion of Safety - More Violence & Geography
Merzbow - at WZRD I found a maxell cassette that just said "MERZBOW" in red marker on it, it must have been from the early 80s.  It was my first introduction to his 80s/non-harsh material, and it blew my mind, very eloquent and calculated sound collage, to a surreal and very artful degree, almost emotionally charged sound composition.  Strangest thing I have ever heard from him. 
Moultrigger - Birds cassette
Skin Graft - Dystrophy CD on Hanson
dave phillips - "?" CD
Caspar Brotzmann & FM Einheit - Merry Christmas
NAMANAX - Cascading Waves of Electronic Turbulence

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

BlackHole

Deathpile "G.R."

This is the album that really influenced me and inspired me to play PE. The intensity and dark atmosphere of this album is unparalleled. The track "Known Victims" that lists and describes each victim, going on for 12 minutes feeling like the list would never end and the number of murders staggering. The textures and sounds are so heavy and murky, the vocals and lyrics so vicious. The concept was executed flawlessly. I really appreciate that the lyrics are written in first person. "Was it a ritual? Or was it just taking out the trash?"

Grunt "World Draped in Camouflage"

This is perhaps my favorite Grunt release. Every song is masterfully done with impressive detail and complex compositions. This album has it all. Heavy pulsating synths, junk abuse, loops, and great vocal delivery. This is, in my opinion, a flawless PE album. Not a single track is weak and "Fucked by Steel" is a Grunt classic.

Brighter Death Now "Innerwar"

Another immense influence for me. Brighter Death Now still remains unmatched in terms of intense, morbid, dark, psychotic industrial music. This album is hard to beat in terms of just sheer darkness and negativity. Tracks like "No Tomorrow", "Little Baby", "American Tale", and the title track make this album a harrowing listen. Roger's work has affected me deeply I would say even changed my personality.

Atrax Morgue "In Search of Death"

The first Atrax Morgue album I heard and still remains my favorite. Extremely minimal but effective, bleak synth work.

Genocide Organ "Mind Control"

My personal favorite GO album. Nothing more needs to said.

CON-DOM "How Welcome is Death To I Who Have Nothing More To Do But Die"

I know this album just came out this year, and comparatively doesn't best exemplify Mike Dando's work, however this is a truly one of a kind album and will surely be a classic in the genre. Not many artists have released such a sincere, deeply personal, or as genuine of an album as this. Reading along with the lyrics and looking a the imagery while spinning the records is an experience in and of itself. It has the potential to really affect the listeners state of mind and evoke emotions not a lot of albums are capable of.

Taint "Indecent Liberties"

It's Taint at his best. No more words needed.

Bizarre Uproar "Rape Africa"

Not my personal favorite BU album but this is probably his most iconic, along with Lily The Flesh. The bass on this sounds like explosions from outside a bunker. Dense walls of feedback and Pasi's signature ultra-violent hateful vocals. Essential BU album.

Haus Arafna "Children of God"

Haus Arafna's best material from their harsher more PE driven era. I especially like Haus Arafna's vocal delivery. Something so creepy about it. Especially on the track "Electronic Terrorism". Also the instantly recognizable MS-20 synth tones. Very obviously German, fits right in with their countrymen.

MZ.412 "Nordik Battle Signs"

One of the best releases in the Cold Meat catalog and a standout in the MZ.412 discography. I love the martial atmosphere of the album. Especially the percussion. The track "Algiz – Konvergence Of Life And Death" is a total masterpiece of PE/Industrial. Awesome lyrics and sounds!

This neglects plenty of excellent contemporary bands such as IFOTS, Kevlar, Concrete Mascara, Nyodene D, Puce Mary, Zyklon SS, etc. All of which I would consider essential for anyone interested in the genre. I feel like when people think of "essentials" it naturally excludes newer projects in favor of originators and classics.