Reissues

Started by KMusselman, January 30, 2012, 09:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Recently been thinking the sense of many of the re-issues. This topic is already 3 pages of stuff, but one thing what seems to need to be addressed again would be:

Quote from: ARKHE on February 15, 2012, 10:37:31 PM
What I dislike the most is when the original liner-notes & artwork isn't featured at all. Not that a gatefold compressed into a cd booklet spread gives away much; rather do a completely new layout, with the original information still present.

I was looking into Mauthausen Orchestra tape box. 12 tape box was once done by Slaughter productions. All tapes with individual artworks. Needless to say: Explicit artwork, what made old Italian power electronics/noise stand out like utterly vile & exploitative. While many older UK acts would be subtle, band like M.O. would just put straight forward anal sex close-up in front cover. That's crucial element of it.
When Slaughter prod reissued the stuff, it was not replicas of the old. Not at all. It was made to look like Slaughter productions style, but still, had many of the original rough artworks slightly re-done. Typically just uniform typography applied to uniform lay-out based on (mostly) original artwork. So what's with the new Urashima re-issue of 12 tape box? Technically perhaps more professional. Silver silkscreened box, and factory dubbed tapes with silkscreened artworks. But what the hell?! No j-cards with artworks?! Box artwork is just saying "M.O." in font that band never used. It looks like more of assemble-yourself furniture kit from IKEA than honoring the utmost explicit power electronics masterpieces.

And I appreciate Urashima for his great cultural works for the forgotten tapes and satisfying the needs of vinyl listeners. But, and that is a big BUT, I'm heavily questioning what is the sense of revisionism? Original tapes look AMAZING. And now when you strip them down to factory duplicated bulk tapes with no artwork.... what's the point?

Same could be said about S&Q reissue of two first albums. There albums are among the very best of S&Q discography. Not only musically, but jesus christ, have you seen the debut album artwork?! It's such an brutal item, that to do justice for the album, it felt really lame to be presented in format of "two for price of one" type EMI reissue, where you have like 4x4cm thumbnails of album covers printed on front sleeve. You know, I may be wrong, I may not be expert in all fields, but my gut feeling is that people wanted the album. Not document of album. Not cover what documents how album looked like in little pictures, but presenting those masterpieces as-it-was.

I'm sure, some of these releases are in climate we live today, over-the-top. Some of releases are also often displays of craftmanship of fanatic teenagers, not professional graphic designers. But I tend to think, fuck the "professional designers". I always rather choose personal and crude over someone who is misguided about supremacy of Helvetica fonts or at worst, absolute garbage of photoshop glow effects and whatnot.

All these releases, I of course recommend to get - for sake of greatness of their music. It's about time S&Q albums got reissued. Not all things I did in past are perfect by any means. Be it old releases I'd hope to "revision" (haha, but hope I can avoid such temptation), and reissues which could have turned a notch better. But nevertheless, I'm fully aware of few mistakes which I hope not to repeat again. I'd hope other labels could learn to respect the works what made such an impact on them that they'd present it to next generation as it was. Not tainted too much by vision of current aesthetic of "outsider".
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

vomitgore

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 16, 2016, 01:14:29 PM

I was looking into Mauthausen Orchestra tape box. 12 tape box was once done by Slaughter productions. All tapes with individual artworks. Needless to say: Explicit artwork, what made old Italian power electronics/noise stand out like utterly vile & exploitative. While many older UK acts would be subtle, band like M.O. would just put straight forward anal sex close-up in front cover. That's crucial element of it.
When Slaughter prod reissued the stuff, it was not replicas of the old. Not at all. It was made to look like Slaughter productions style, but still, had many of the original rough artworks slightly re-done. Typically just uniform typography applied to uniform lay-out based on (mostly) original artwork. So what's with the new Urashima re-issue of 12 tape box? Technically perhaps more professional. Silver silkscreened box, and factory dubbed tapes with silkscreened artworks. But what the hell?! No j-cards with artworks?! Box artwork is just saying "M.O." in font that band never used. It looks like more of assemble-yourself furniture kit from IKEA than honoring the utmost explicit power electronics masterpieces.

And I appreciate Urashima for his great cultural works for the forgotten tapes and satisfying the needs of vinyl listeners. But, and that is a big BUT, I'm heavily questioning what is the sense of revisionism? Original tapes look AMAZING. And now when you strip them down to factory duplicated bulk tapes with no artwork.... what's the point?

THIS!!!

When seeing the email with the announcement I was immediately excited, but the enthusiasm faded quickly when noticing the art work. Nothing against bleakness in general, but in this case it's a massive downgrade. I don't have the Slaughter Box, but have seen enough pics to attest juiciness to the whole packaging and artwork.

Also, I asked myself what would make this a "must buy" item. People who don't see physicality as a necessity surely have the MP3s, Youtube rips or whatever and others may already have many albums on Urashima vinyl or CD rerelease. So artwork would have been a crucial factor, especially because of the original / previous releases all having it. As stupid as it sounds, I decided not to buy this Version but would surely have instantly purchased it, had it been done like the Slaughter Box. Maybe the mere fact that it offers so much less than any other release by MO is the sole reason.

BlackHole

Urashima does some great reissues and releases some excellent music, but I have always had problems with their presentation. Same boring artwork and layout on basically every LP. And can someone explain what is going on with the label logo? Comic Sans font? Really? Put a little more effort into the artwork and presentation of these classic records please and do them justice.

whiteheatnoise

I understand people's complaints about the artwork and presentation style of Urashima releases in general, especially this Orgies of Crime box that was just released. The art was a crucial part of the original releases, however, Urashima has seemingly never reproduced the original art for these reissues, so it should be no surprise that it is the same case for this box. I wouldn't even say that I particularly like the Urashima aesthetic, but I still respect that they have been strict with the presentation of their releases, and I'm grateful to be able to own physical copies of a lot of these reissues (not too much of a digital listener myself) which would be very hard or impossible to obtain original copies of in the first place.

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: BlackHole on October 16, 2016, 09:26:17 PM
Urashima does some great reissues and releases some excellent music, but I have always had problems with their presentation. Same boring artwork and layout on basically every LP.

for me the omologation of layout is a strong point of the label and in fact I'm a little disappointed when it changes with white layout for the latest reprints.
a similar example can be the graphics of the label sacred bones
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

HOGRA

Re-issues are cool and all, but, if there is no original artwork, it can fuck off.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: whiteheatnoise on October 16, 2016, 09:45:45 PM
The art was a crucial part of the original releases, however, Urashima has seemingly never reproduced the original art for these reissues, so it should be no surprise that it is the same case for this box.

I'm fine with all the new releases. There are many new releases, that are not re-issues. Label style works for that, as it is "like intended".
This constitutes perhaps at least 1/3 or half of labels output. Re-issues, you got several which utilize original artworks. For example MASONNA and TAINT takes a lot from original GROSS presentations. TAINT "just meat" is replica, just as VIDNA OBMANA, JASON CRUMER, SLOGUN, IUGULA THOR/SRS split, MURDER CORPORATION, MERZBOW, etc. follow almost replica of the original artwork. Even many Atrax Morgue are the original. Closed Exit, Exterminate, Estetik of A Corpse, etc are actually probably better than originals - but also using the original graphic material. Some stuff, like MB "Regel" LP is very faithful for original as well. In the end, from A LOT of releases, it's fraction where artwork is completely rejected.

So I would not blame label on never reproducing original art - as they actually do for most part. Rejecting the original seems to be mostly applied to Italian veterans and most notably MB, MO, and related. Of course one can see why something such as MB "industrial tape" or "atomique tape" is not simply blown up to LP size. But already "Voyeur tape" original looks so much better than reissues did (apart from Murder Release version). However, most M.O. isn't shitty or lazy, but originally brilliant graphics. That's what makes me react on it as it doesn't appear as something clumsily thrown in front of demo tape, but actually intrinsic part of release.

Same as with S&Q "jesus christ". Album cover is still - or should it be said, especially in 2016 something rather outrageously iconic for album cover, that if it's ruined, it doesn't seem just poor choice but desecration.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Scat-O-Logy

This discussion about altered artwork reminded me of The Sodality reissue Urashima did and the disappointing artwork it has... Solution: Just purchased the original CD to accompany it.

I'm thankful to UMA for all the reissues but some aesthetic choices are indeed quite strange to me.

F_c_O

As FreakAnimal said, urashima aesthetic works wonderfully for the original releases as well as for the re releases that utilize either original graphics or stay faithful to the original. My issue is with things like some M.B or M.O releases which cover artwork seems completely unrelated to the music or the title of the release. None of the 'tape' re-releases of M.B's work on Urashima have artwork that would visualize words like industrial or cold or voueyr very well. It feels like theres just some random images that kinda look like it fits to the general aesthetic of the genre without consideration for how well it actually works with the release itself. Same with 'Taint - Strange Feeling' lp. I don't think taint ever used that kind of japanese bondage aesthetic on his releases. I feel its a bit too 'artsy' for something like taint, heh.

As for releases where urashima aesthetic really works, I must personally highlight both bizarre uproar releases. I find that those have pretty much the best design urashima has put out thus far. While they arent simply copied from the tapes, they still contain the same atmosphere and feeling as the original artwork. Especially the likainen ehtoollinen tape, which I feel might be even superior to the original, being much more direct.

As for the M.O tape box, does it come with a booklet or such? Maybe the related artwork has simply been relegated to the booklet. Hard to tell without owning a copy and seeing that personally this feels inferior to the slaughter prod release, I don't think I even will. Rather buy them on vinyl, even if the vinyl line misses some like personal favourite 'mafarka'. Is this kind of having booklet with artwork and having the tapes without it a right choice, ideal choice or even a good choice at all is probably best decided on individual basis.

Also, as before mentioned, the use of comic sans for the label logo seems bit strange to me but maybe thats the purpose?

sterilization

i'm also very curious about the title of the new MO box..... why use the name of a Sodality song? A nod to (most of) the original tapes being released by Aquilifer Sodality?

bitewerksMTB

Artwork for "Strange feeling, shit coming" couldn't be scanned from a release due to quality, etc.; it would have looked horrible. I guess. I offered to do new work that would reflect the title but didn't come up with anything  & he was on a timeline. I should have rejected that image but to be perfectly honest, I didn't care.

For M.O./The Sodality, I think  M.O. was involved with The Sodality as the early version of "T.N.L." on the Freedom in a Vacuum comp LP sounds like M.O. vocals. "Little Oral Linda" sounds a lot like M.O., too. Maybe someone in Italy can ask Andrea Cernotto?

Maybe the "Orgies of Crime" title originally came from M.O. ...? I just noticed the title of the new tape set. When I read Sterilization's comment, "T.N.L." was the first thing that popped into my head.

aububs

Has S&Q's Jesus Christ been reissued?

aububs

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on October 26, 2016, 08:32:08 AM
Quote from: aububs on October 26, 2016, 08:28:44 AMHas S&Q's Jesus Christ been reissued?

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=7165.0

ah, thanks.

i'm sure you all know but the original LP is still available for not unreasonable prices. nice to see it on CD, but grabbing the LP is a no-brainer.

Eloy

It would be difficult having 15 different collaborators, but a (double) CD reissue of "Violent Ambient" (Chocolate Monk, 1994) would be great.

www.discogs.com/release/696709-Various-Violent-Ambient