LAW

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 01, 2017, 02:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

There has been LAW discussions elsewhere, but in this forum, I didn't find any. My first exposure for project was through WAR AGAINST SOCIETY compilation. Unfortunate for them, trying to compete from attention next to some of best works of Con-Dom, Grey Wolves, Militia and Streicher ain't that easy!

For me, Law remained as least interesting groups on the compilation. Most of all that it was softer. More "composed" or "technological". Not sure if those words as entirely accurate. This still is my impression, that his work wasn't noise. It wasn't power electronics really. Some loosely post-industrial category, what would go from more aggressive moments to keyboard tones, cinematic stuff and almost normal usage of instruments. Everything build into fragmented structures.

Never ripping and fierce qualities. Rather at the time hi-tech effects and clean production. Today listening one of the last CD's, "Vindication and Contempt", one can still observe that all late 90's production values have not aged so well, but this remains still rather interesting moment in genre. Slight clumsiness of timing and nature of sounds indicate that it was not something carefully edited on computer screen. Instead, hand crafted with various physical gear what may give little dated feel, yet being so much better what material could be if it was technologically boosted to contemporary standards!

While artwork is rather dated late 90's style and sound itself hardly perfect, there is something very very unique in what LAW did. That element itself makes it good listening once in a while.

In some ways, I'd lump this with USA projects like ALLEGORY CHAPEL LTD. Also spoken fragments combined with electronics have little MK9 type of feel, although musically barely similarities.

My favorite writing was on their debut LP "Pariahs Among Outcasts". Should probably dig that from shelves! On "Vindication and Contempt", brief liner notes of album band takes more political angle towards American consumerism and herd mentality. Talking of "hi-tech technology" earlier may have been entire wrong.  Including such a scene remarks in cover gives little too banal element to the album in a whole. It may be sign of upcoming end of band, when he concludes "This work is dedicated to all the two-bit hobbyists and delusional tinkers who continue trying to impress their friends and kid themselves. Keep it up -- Roland, Korg, Mackie and all the rest are counting on you..."

Should probably check out some of his old interviews, as don't remember much of them beyond the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTCAg4xHoo

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

isomer

Yeah I agree, although the only LAW stuff I ever heard was Vindication and Contempt - it aged pretty quickly in presentation and production but I think the attitude and themes were spot on and still relevent. He did some interesting things with his Triumvirate label too - I think the cd's from Geomatic and The Sword Volcano Complex have held up well.

totalabuse

my favorite stuff is from war against society .. i dig the super digital vibe on that.. pariah's among outcasts is ok.. the packaging stands out more than the tracks imo

chewslife

As I recall, Vindication and Contempt was Law's finest album. Most, I don't know, engaging? Recently listened to this one again for the first time in at least a decade and feelings haven't changed much. To memory, maybe second best was the one on Nuit et Brouillard, but it's long since been sold off. Also, agree, the presentation of Pariahs Among Outcasts was excellent and surpassed the content. The follow up on Old Europa Cafe being perhaps the weakest of the discography (recall the vinyl being very poorly pressed). Maybe gave it attention all of 3 times and shelved it.