Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrophist

Quote from: cr on June 26, 2023, 08:19:37 AM
Quote from: Atrophist on June 25, 2023, 11:09:51 PM

Der Busenfreund
I'd love to see it but it seems incredibly hard to find.

It can be found here, I hope it works everywhere:

https://youtu.be/wDvKNwr9PX4

Amazing, thank you very much! Too bad it wasn't Moozz's cup of tea, I'll still give it a try though. :D

I recently watched a Norwegian film titled Syk Pike, the international title is apparently Sick of Myself.

A bored/boring young woman deliberately gives herself a disfiguring skin disease, because she can't think of anything else to get attention. Pretty grotesque black humor, just up my alley. Almost veers into Cronenbergesque body horror at times.

In the end, the treatment of the themes of narcissism, social media etc ends up being a bit ham-handed, though. I rarely wish for films to be longer than they actually are, but this one could have benefited from extra 20 min or so. Still, very glad I saw this, and look forward to the director's future work.

Phenol

Quote from: Atrophist on June 28, 2023, 06:51:25 PM

Der Busenfreund

Amazing, thank you very much! Too bad it wasn't Moozz's cup of tea, I'll still give it a try though. :D

I recently watched a Norwegian film titled Syk Pike, the international title is apparently Sick of Myself.

A bored/boring young woman deliberately gives herself a disfiguring skin disease, because she can't think of anything else to get attention. Pretty grotesque black humor, just up my alley. Almost veers into Cronenbergesque body horror at times.

In the end, the treatment of the themes of narcissism, social media etc ends up being a bit ham-handed, though. I rarely wish for films to be longer than they actually are, but this one could have benefited from extra 20 min or so. Still, very glad I saw this, and look forward to the director's future work.

Syk Pike sounds like something up my alley too. Have you seen In my Skin (Dans ma peau) from 2002? If not I think it's worth your time. Very similar idea. Woman gets wounded, finds out that she likes that and descends into self destruction. There's a few very slow paced and gruelling self harm scenes in there. It's slow, but I liked it.

Atrophist

Quote from: Phenol on June 28, 2023, 08:31:46 PM
Have you seen In my Skin (Dans ma peau) from 2002? If not I think it's worth your time. Very similar idea. Woman gets wounded, finds out that she likes that and descends into self destruction. There's a few very slow paced and gruelling self harm scenes in there. It's slow, but I liked it.

Sounds familiar, though I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to my "to see" list!

Atrophist

Der Busenfreund

Very sad, nasty little film. Yeah, it was boring in a way, but boredom is not always bad for you. I'll endure it just to know that hey, at least my life isn't like this.

Atrophist

Watching Nicholas Winding Refn's new Netflix show Copenhagen Cowboy. Not as good as Too Old to Die Young so far, but still amusing.

The only ethnic Danish character is a guy who cannot speak, but rather grunts and squeals like a pig, and is constantly being beaten, whipped and humiliated. Can't help but think that NWR is trying to tell us something here. :D

This will probably pivot into a feminist revenge fantasy sooner or later like TOtDY did, but if it's well done I won't mind.

cr

Anna Eriksson - never heard about her before, until I saw trailers for her films M and W. Looked somehow interesting, so I did quick research and it seems, she is/was one of the most famous Finnish singers, who nowadays makes movies.
So, all you Finnish people here can surely tell me more about her and her films. Are they any good and worth looking for? In general, it seems like a strange move from being a famous singer to become an "experimental" film maker (at least where I come from).
Any informations and personal opinions about her work would be highly appreciated! Thanks

Atrophist

I haven't seen either one of them, so I cannot comment on that. But yes, her character arc is interesting. She also writes articles about the nature of art, humanity etc. that sometimes come off as rather ranty and obscurantist. Like someone operating within her own personal frame of reference, if you know what I mean.

From what I've understood she used to suffer from depression (or some other similar mental health problem), and I've no doubt that the art she is creating now is helping her deal with it better than standard schlager/pop.

She used to be married to the drummer of super-popular pop-punk band Apulanta, and they spent ages (more than 5 years I believe) getting permits etc to built some fancy eco-mansion in my dad's hometown of Heinola. They became a bit of a local laughing stock because of it, and by the time the house was finished, they had already broken up.

KillToForget

I'm rewatching Criterion's Stan Brakhage anthology for the first time in years. I've always loved his work, and I'd highly recommend this set

Phenol

Watched Santa Sangre for the first time last night. Loved it! Followed it up with Hardware, which is probably the most industrial movie out there outside of Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Hardware was actually much more visually striking and psychedelic than I remembered. Santa Sangre was a weird trip with lots of colours, strange people, nudity, violence and manic circus music.

Atrophist

Santa Sangre is a pretty crazy experience. I wonder how well it would hold up to repeated viewings -- I've only seen it once. If you haven't seen Holy Mountain yet, do yourself a favour and watch it!

BlackCavendish

Quote from: Atrophist on July 15, 2023, 11:56:50 PMSanta Sangre is a pretty crazy experience. I wonder how well it would hold up to repeated viewings -- I've only seen it once. If you haven't seen Holy Mountain yet, do yourself a favour and watch it!

Jodo's movies are among my favorites (but I guess it's partly due to the fact that I came across his movies when I was a teenager so they had a really strong impact on me).
Recently saw the "biographical" La danza de la realidad, which reminded me Santa Sangre in a few things... odd as always.
Still have to watch the follow up (Poesía sin fin) and the documentary about Psychomagic that came out in 2019

Phenol

Yeah, I know I need to watch Holy mountain. It's been on my list for years, just hasn't happened yet. Watching Santa Sangre definitely re-ignited that idea!

Atrophist

Veneno para las Hadas (Poison for the Fairies), Mexican horror/fantasy/fairytale from the 80's.

If a horror film can ever be described as "adorable", this is probably it. There's no gore, violence or jump scares. However the ending is quite shocking and even rather transgressive, if you think about it. Also, a very heavy contender in "evil kids" genre. Recommended!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Atrophist on July 20, 2023, 10:40:40 PMVeneno para las Hadas (Poison for the Fairies), Mexican horror/fantasy/fairytale from the 80's.

If a horror film can ever be described as "adorable", this is probably it. There's no gore, violence or jump scares. However the ending is quite shocking and even rather transgressive, if you think about it. Also, a very heavy contender in "evil kids" genre. Recommended!

I just watched this last night after seeing your post here.  Very, very good, and I totally echo your recommendation.  I would add that it's also worth watching for those into the style of Italian horror/Giallo of the 1970s.  While there is no thematic overlap, the cinematography clearly takes a note in its constant emphasis of architecture and its fun Charlie Brown-esqe reworking of the famous Giallo POV shots.

BlackCavendish

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on July 22, 2023, 06:10:30 PMI would add that it's also worth watching for those into the style of Italian horror/Giallo of the 1970s.

I second this. There's definitely an italian giallo vibe in the movie. Nevertheless thanks Atrophist for the suggestion, it's been a nice surprise!

Also finally watched Zulawski's Possession. Strange and unclassifiable movie: family drama, psychological thriller, body horror... there's everything in it. And the surreal apocalyptic ending is a nice touch. Definitely challenging (dialogues are often just cryptic monologues) but the general atmosphere of the movie is incredible.