Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrophist

To be honest I have no particular expertise to judge whether the depiction of ceremonies and rituals are accurate or realistic, but to me they hit true. I just enjoyed the effortless originality and refusal to follow any standard formulas.

Anyway, over the weekend I watched Red Rooms (2023)

French-speaking Canadian film set in Montreal. Supposedly a dramatic exploration of female hybristofilia. Deals with a beautiful but incredibly uptight-seeming model (and pro poker player) who seems obsessed with a man accused of abducting and murdering three underage girls. The title refers to supposed dark web torture dungeons.

Juliette GariƩpy does an amazing job as the main character, but sadly the plot falls apart at the very end. I won't spoil it for anyone, but it's a cop out that retroactively renders much of the previous scenes completely nonsensical. Very disappointing and as such, difficult to recommend.

BlackCavendish

Quote from: Atrophist on September 23, 2024, 05:49:57 PMTo be honest I have no particular expertise to judge whether the depiction of ceremonies and rituals are accurate or realistic, but to me they hit true. I just enjoyed the effortless originality and refusal to follow any standard formulas.

The Abramelin's text is a medieval grimoire to summon the guardian angel ("angel" not in a strictly Catholic terms). The long preparation, the diet, the rooms with a certain exposure, etc. are all coherent, so the director did a good job. But anyway "effortless originality and refusal to follow any standard formulas" are definitely the selling points of this movie. Very refreshing.

I also saw Starve Acre by Daniel Kokotajlo
a folk horror flick that could remind a less artsy "Lamb", with a darker mood. A good work, maybe a bit too canonical (the use of desaturated colors is now a trademark of folk horror) but still a good variation on the theme.

Manhog_84

Just saw positively the best film of the year; The Devil's Bath/Des Teufels Bad by Severin Fiala and Veronika Franz at Love & Anarchy Film Festival. It deals with very unique subject matter: depression and suicide by proxy in 1750. It's such a tour de force film making that you rarely come across. Not "folk horror", and I'm still on the fence should this be classified as horror, but surely a haunting drama. It puts the viewer in the shoes of it's protagonist and makes you feel the despair of her situation. As a period piece, it's very authentic. Well written and rich on different themes. Shot on 35mm and the use of natural light makes every frame look like a painting. The woman who plays the main lead role also composed the music, and it's amazing. There was some talk about The Girl with the Needle with Puce Mary soundtrack (good film also) but the music here is better. Those who live in Helsinki, might be interested to see this as there's one more screening next Saturday.

XXX

Quote from: Atrophist on September 23, 2024, 05:49:57 PMAnyway, over the weekend I watched Red Rooms (2023)

saw this as well. not bad but not the best. had odors of paul schrader although not quite up to that level.

aububs

red rooms is a modern classic

infinitely superior to any of the mediocre crap paul schrader puts out these days