Sharing "unpublished" works of your own

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 14, 2020, 12:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CannibalRitual

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 15, 2020, 04:57:32 PM
Years ago, when there were more CD stores, there was a "movement" of some trendy and small sorts of people putting their CDs in Goodwill, Salvation Army, CD stores etc.  I think there was even a big thread about this on the old Troniks board.

Could just copy a Cannibal Corpse cover and put your CD in the shelf. Some idiot will blind buy it and complain it's only noise

JLIAT

Quote from: theotherjohn on August 15, 2020, 10:06:42 PM
Or in my case, I bought the one on the left by mistake and it was full of regular songs...

AnonMessAgeSage

Anything that creates MYSTERIOUS is rhe most rewarding experience in most satisfying result in the digital age.

Most things have become lame by being and holding to certain formulaic standards that no longer fit, similar to what other posters have pointed out.

I was always most influenced by the oddities one finds on the "dark web" which are not fit for creative consumption.
Anything else, with few exceptions, becomes less engaging.

Mystery is the most exciting element to me, and I can find myself becoming extremely fucking bored otherwise.

There are some literal creative fucking MASTERPIECES on the "dark net," and these artists will never get proper credit for it in a consumerist sense, and that's not even the point of it.

That is so far removed from the actual point of it. So to answer the thread question, yes, there is an extreme appeal / motivation behind this ethos.

And unless you're apart of a particular clique, its appeal will be lost on everyone else. By design.

W.K.

Edit: Never mind my stupid answer earlier.

Yes I do, and it would be weird to me if someone doesn't. Maybe some of the guys that only shit out stuff after stuff with little quality control or because their stuff will be released by other labels anyways, but it would be weird to me not to share also the smaller stuff to a more limited audience. There is a big difference in time and money spent on a work that has more copies vs. only a few copies. Also there seems to be more creative freedom in the later, not having to worry if it's good enough to release, because the audience is so limited. Not that it means releasing subpar or shoddy work, the bad stuff is already weeded out in the initial post-recording process, but it doesn't have to be at the level of a proper release.

Some stuff that is good, but maybe not enough for a proper release ends up to Bandcamp so non-noise people or those without cassette deck can get an idea what I do. It's nice to be isolated in the clique of the world of noise and all, but sometimes it's also good to be able to present your work to other people that are interested in what you do.
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

Cementimental

pretty much my whole soundcloud is this sort of 'unpublished' sharing :) https://soundcloud.com/cementimental

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: AnonMessAgeSage on August 15, 2020, 06:12:44 PM
Quote from: NO PART OF IT on August 14, 2020, 07:17:53 PM
I have a friend who has done the most brutal and raw power electronics I've ever heard.   It was so fucking nuts that the recording he played for me was more like a psychotic episode than an artistically stylized recording.  He and I agreed that this was just too out there to even think of putting down in a format for sale.  The idea of this material even being on a physical medium for sale was just absurd.  It just was what it was.  It was not meant to enter into consumerland. 

Similarly, I  have done very private material.  I still release things without the internet sometimes.  I send out xerox newsletters to people who get where I'm coming from.  I did one release on tape that was buried in the ground, in an edition of one, with a download code if anyone ever finds it.  Sometimes there is a difference between creating from a genuine place, and creating something to be easily digested by a bunch of nonchalant, apathetic pedestrians on the internet. 

That said, I use bandcamp to share early things with subscribers now. 
I used to do tapes and CDrs for friends, but not for anyone that would put it on discogs or soulseek. 

That sounds bad fucking ass. That reminds me of a very experimental 'album' I did before, that I was the only one to hear.

It sounded like a psychotic blend of Stalaggh, Intolitarian, with a DASH of GRUNT.

Too bad, I never shared it. The material is forever lost. It sounded like screeching screams, and just utter destruction, and smashing of instruments, and banging on things, and breaking things in kind of a psychotic rage, with deep growls.

Truly weird shit. Wish I still had it.

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to say that I've lost a lot of work because I had it on an external hard drive but never got around to back it up on CDR or anything.  I know the feeling.  There is stuff I did 20 years ago that only existed on 5 CDrs given to friends, never even kept a back up.   

There has always been an instinct to infiltrate.  I used to put copies of my zine inside specific books inside book stores, to mess with the context of someone who bought the book.   To some extent, CDRs too, but I never expected those to be kept without any luck. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com