Kalevi Rainio (aka KEUHKOT)

Started by ImpulsyStetoskopu, November 17, 2012, 03:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I know only one record: "Mitä Otat Mukaan Muistoksi Sivistyksestä", which is very good, in my opinion. Does anybody know more his music? Any recommendations? Maybe anybody knows his biography in English which I could find in Internet?

SKY BURIAL

All his releases on Bad Vugum (CDs & 7"s) were great as well the 7"s on Stigma.

XTORSOX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWhYzIB37M

"God don´t care"

One of the reasons why i got interested in "weird" music!

FreakAnimalFinland

This found online:
"After retiring his bass guitar duties from the Finnish-based Liimanarina in 1989, Kake Puhuu has released a number of avant-garde releases under the moniker of Keuhkot -- meaning "lungs" in English. Accompanied by a live show that features home movies, wheelbarrows, lottery machines, and a collection-taking, Bad Vugum Records released Keuhkot's first full-length, Mita Otat Mukaan Muistoksi Sivistyksesta, in 1995 after a handful of 7"s. As the years progressed, Bad Vugum continued to fund Puhuu's solo project with his 1998 follow-up album, Ruskea Aikakirks, as well as his Minun Kay Saaliksi Bilarzialoista full-length two years later. ~ Mike DaRonco, Rovi"

But short biography like this hardly shows the relevancy of band in Finnish music landscape. You can ask pretty much any older noise musicians (lets say me, pain nail, bizarre uproar, sick seed, umpio,... etc etc) and everybody will worship Keuhkot early days (and perhaps also later works). Also Liimanarina. His lyrical content of total absurdity doesn't translate well in english - and same goes with Liimanarina. People abroad will experienced only fraction of the whole project by hearing some album. Obscure live shows, lyrics and genuinely odd personality adds a lot.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Steve

Agreed (Mikko): When I first started communicating with Juri of MNEM back in the late 1990's he mailed me piles of cassettes featuring Keuhkot / Liimananarina with a "Listen To This"! message. Excellent stuff, what an old Englishman would call "typically Bad Vugum". 

Jaakko V.

The Species Is Ridiculous: The Exquisite Rantings of Keuhkot

The text describes Kake's "smell symphony" as having chemicals etc but wasn't it more like... rotten milk, fish, etc?

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Thanks all for info about this great project. This is shame but I knew KEUHKOT in last days when I was writing next entries to "Encyclopaedia of Industrial Music" vol. III. And I loved his music from the first listening. Of course, I prepared KEUHKOT biography to this book too.

pentd

late reply but still:

kake displayed AMAZING recording skills when i helped mixing his first albums... he had this whole universe of sounds and pause-edits on a 4trak tape machine, told me he had to do a part here, then down to the basement to do a part there, then back upstairs, then back downstairs if the part repeated... etc etc... and on some tracks on the 1st lp "mitä otat mukaasi sivistyksestä" we hooked up a mike and some devices, then played the 4trak, then added stuff on the fly, and that went to the album... later he got a "computer" (late 90's) that "helped him a lot"... oh man, that was a stinky 386 pc with windows95, Cakewalk 4 and some integrated soundblaster soundcard... he had to mute all tracks except the one he would work on, then render the output (15min for a few minutes of audio) and hope it sounds ok. if not, then start again. here we have a saying that kinda goes "climbing the tree with your ass first" (last year i set up a "new" used pc for him, which he had received from his brother's business, 1.8Ghz with 1GB ram, all kindsa audio tools installed a la reaper + plugins, but which he still hasn't even plugged in)

and, like all healthy humans, he also likes DEVO!!

so as a guide to his material: early til 1st LP = 4trak, noisy.. after that = "more modern", not so noisy, more arabian/eastern sounding, still very strange but not so in-the-red.... until this last album "laskeutumisalusastia" (2011) which is again angry and noisy, at least noisier than few previous.. but noisy or not, its pretty idiosyncratic stuff like no-one does.