Books about noise/experimental music

Started by acsenger, December 26, 2011, 02:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 17, 2024, 09:57:33 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 23, 2023, 10:59:20 AM'Becoming Noise Music' Stephen Graham, Bloomsbury, 2023:

Stephen Graham
2024, England, ISBN 9781501378706
Becoming Noise Music tells the story of noise music in its first 50 years, using a focus on the music's sound and aesthetics to do so. Part One focuses on the emergence and ... 40,60 €

Status of the paperback version is still "bending". I got it marked among things to follow in the book distribution system. We'll see when this more "affordable" version would be available.

Has it some kind of gold coating or what makes the hard cover version so expensive?

FreakAnimalFinland

I would suppose it is the price level of "books for professionals". Edition may not be meant for "mass market" so to say, but for universities, libraries etc. I checked out and the half cheaper "bulk edition" is not out yet.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote'America's Greatest Noise' tells the story of Ron Lessard, owner of RRRecords, a record store in Lowell, Massachusetts and, from 1986 to 2009, a record label, releasing the albums of Blackhouse, F/i, PGR, the first Merzbow LP outside Japan and many more, regional compilations, three widely acclaimed lock groove records and a series of anti-records, records with no music but a more conceptual and visual edge. RRRecords is also responsible for the RRRecycled Music series, which has over 300 releases on re-purposed cassettes.

Ron Lessard played music with his group Due Process and solo as Emil Beaulieau. Up until his retirement from the noise scene in 2006, he played many concerts and released a string of cassettes, LPs, and CDs. During his concerts, Lessard dressed up like a businessman and used a four-armed turntable, dubbed the Minutoli, and his performances were comical.

In this book, he tells for the first time his story in music about the highs and lows of running a label and a record store, weird projects, unfinished projects, encounters with other musicians, being on the road, and much more. Also included are two appendices: one with interviews from the past (fanzines and websites) and a chapter from Michael Tau's 'Extreme Music' about the anti-records released by RRRecords.

Images used were sourced from flyers, invitations and fanzines. Introduction by Dominick Fernow (Prurient, Hospital Productions)

The first 1000 copies come with an anti-flexi, cutting up a conversation about anti-records between Ron Lessard and the author of the book, Frans de Waard. Cut up by Howard Stelzer. You may use this flexi as a bookmark.

Paperback book, 144 pages, black and white images. Design by Alfred Boland

Finished reading the RRR book I got couple days ago. Personally, one of the most important noise labels. Back in '94 or so, second full Grunt tape, fourth release I recall, I sent to handful of international labels. Mentioned many times, but only GROSS and RRR replied. As result of communication, not only trades with GROSS, but I also put out multiple Aube items back then. RRRon sent free Emil Beaulieau CD as trade for tape he didn't even ask + catalogue.
Over the years not only ordered shitloads of affordable items from RRR, but visited him, played some gigs/tours and put out couple of his releases...  One time in London, Grunt actually played radio live as "Emil Beaulieau". Ron was sick and tired, so he asked me to fill in as gig happened over radio, and nobody would see it, hah... Guidelines for me to enter London radio station was just that I wasn't allowed to say anything, as already c. 20 years ago, me opening my mouth tends to stir trouble way more often than needed.

Talking of "opening your mouth..." in book there is chapter about the last RRR release: Record Store Record. Curiously, only two of the stores exists anymore. RRR and Sarvilevyt (aka physical homebase of Freak Animal). RRR part includes me visiting store and taping boxes with help of Steve Underwood. Loudest possible packaging tape. It was so loud, Ron recorded it and used later for this LP. With internationally known noise fanatics talking on top of that. What Ron talks about this Finnish part of Sarvilevyt, is that sounds like people talk about pizza and coca cola. Maybe there was short mention of that too, but also some noise talk and includes hilarious moment of people hanging out at the store. One asks "Do you have any Rahowa CD's.. or can I ask that, or are police listening to us?".. something like that. Well... who know if they were, but its pressed on vinyl LP, so evils of the world is preserved on wax!

I got lots of unseen Emil live footage, audio and such in archives - some of from last years of his activities, when according to book, he was at top of his game. Feels almost guilty of stashing something like that nobody ever seen or heard.

Book has been AMAZING reading, and totally must to have for any noise fanatic. Even if tales been told by retired artists, he is what he is, and story and examples of RRR very inspiring. Website of RRR is obsolete. But he still sells stuff the old school way. Things that are in stock, can be ordered via email or if he sells something at ebay or discogs.

Book is pretty cheap and one can contact Frans De Waard / Korm plastics for copy!

For finns (or international customers) soon book will be re-stocked by Freak Animal. First batch sold quicker than I thought, but new batch will come. Satatuhatta might have some left too?

FreakAnimalFinland

Also got to mention in book topic:
https://murderousvision1.bandcamp.com/merch/murderous-vision-softcover-book
QuoteMurderous Vision Softcover Book

This 168 page book traces the history of the long running death industrial project. The story is told through writings by Stephen Petrus, Pauline Lombardo, Rebecca Potter, Richard Stevenson, Mitch Ribis, Amanda Howland, Andrew Grant, Tom Orange and Jeff Curtis. Also featuring a treasure trove of high quality images depicting live gigs, touring, flyers and ephemera from every era of operation. The book is supplemented by a digital download card that gives access to a 5 hour Anthology of material, hand selected by Stephen, giving a peek into the 30 years of audio activity. This 8.5 x 11 inch book is printed on heavy paper and finished with a silk matte coating. Released in conjunction with Germany's Dunkelheit Produktionen, who in the coming months will be producing a European edition in order to keep shipping cost lower for our friends overseas. I will ship the American edition outside of the USA, but the cost will be high. Best wait for the European edition. For this 30 year anniversary, the book is but one of the many special releases to surface throughout the year.

edition of 100
 $35 USD

Haven't seen it yet. I believe there will be euro edition of book too, to keep costs better.

I know there is The New Blockaders book still under work. Progressing, and hopefully will be ready this year?

It was mentioned elsewhere, 2022 book: Jeph Jerman in Conversation with Aram Yardumian

Quote"This oral autobiography of the underground experimentalist also serves as a history of the 1980s tape and electronic music scene in the US

Since 1980, Jeph Jerman (born 1959)―sound artist, field recordist, percussionist and visual artist―has released over 200 sound works, under his own name, under the moniker Hands To and with countless collaborators, improvising with natural found objects, crude homebuilt devices, tape machines and occasionally traditional instruments. He now makes his home in Cottonwood, Arizona.
This book-length interview traces Jerman's life and work, from his earliest sound experiments, free rock and jazz units, and postal collaborations, to his more recent work with decaying matter and landscape. Illustrated with previously unpublished photos, this highly readable conversation also sketches the 1980s American home-taping and electronic music scenes in which Jerman was a key figure, convening a community of anti-luminaries such as G.X. Jupitter-Larsen, Eric Lunde, Mark Schomburg, Tim Barnes, Dave Knott and Dan Burke. Listen also includes a selection of Jerman's visual art."

Book looks and feels very good. Fairly quick to read. Photos and lots of text, but the text is basically long interview with Jeph. Like the title says, "in conversation with Aram Yardumian". That format is very good actually.

That made me think how many things changed their nature in noise/experimental sound. Tapes are no longer what they used to be. Connection to self publishing, mailart and such become very minimal. CD is no longer expensive luxury product. LP became expensive luxury product. Zines are no longer really the means of "promotion" and very rarely they are like easy platform for unknown newbies to get attention. More often historical documentation, than promoting new. Depending where you live, gigs may have used to been these ultra rare occasions and gatherings of people around the country - or even world. Now it might be something very casual that happens every other weekend, hah..

So, leading to: Nature of BOOK.
For me it seems that in past if you had real book published about you, that used to be like.. Throbbing Gristle, Laibach, Merzbow, Psychic TV.. some sort of collection of legendary artists like in Englands Hidden Reverse was.  Now, we live in times when publishing book is at least theoretically easy. You barely needs funds to make a book. Just a lot of passion and energy to really get it done. I don't feel that books need to be anymore "history books". Or that artists would need to be exclusively from early days of artform, something commonly agreed to be almost museum quality.

Of course, Murderous Vision, he celebrates 30 years, so not a new guy either. Jeph/Hands To, been around for ages. However, at this point, I would also welcome books consisting way newer acts OR broader selection and perhaps even very tightly narrowed topics.

Lets say,
*American Tapes - visual documentation. The era of handmade / rubbish / mailart type of noise.
*MSBR - visual documentation of dadaist packaging
*Basement touring - stories and documentation of the DIY "venue" noise touring
*Cold Meat will have documentary about it, but I would suspect there must be wealth of source material that can not be included in documentary movie, and book could expand it vastly.
*Noise gear - very much like the Vital Organ magazine is. It could have been book about noise gear, but magazine about noise gear and making of noise surely good.
*Erotic/Perverse noise - documenting the phenomena that people often say there is so much, but you don't find much, nor can easily do it online without having all sorts of restrictions on your site.
and so on and on...

Some may know, the original intent of SPECIAL INTERESTS magazine was that each issue is focused on one theme like that. Some concept, be it good old classics of sex, death, occult, psychedelia, politics, abstract art, field recordings, tape-noise, whatever.. Therefore name of magazine was "special interests", that it would take something very particular that may be interest of very very few, even within realms of noise. However, at the time there wasn't any magazine with broad scope covering all things noisy and promoting whatever happened in the "scene", so name stayed, but idea changed into goal of advancing noise and related in all its forms and expressions.

Now that nature of book doesn't seem to be something absolutely definitive and historical, it could be just doing anything interesting in that form that is (at least in my opinion) very handy and neat.

murderous_vision

It has indeed become within reach to self publish a book for underground artists. For sure not an easy task, but for a community of pretty motivated folks like ours, completely within reach. As we all stand together at gigs telling stories of times gone by, I often thought why isn't this stuff in a book? I really hope to see more. As Mikko states above, the topics are endless. CMI, Tesco, Hospital, long running festival series such as Tower Transmissions or Deadly Aktions. All tales we would read with enthusiasm! We are the ones who always have kept the tales alive, and it's up to us to make these things happen. I offer my help with linking to the publishing house I used or anything I could offer advice on, as someone who went through the process. I'd love nothing more than to see a wave of permanent documentation sweep our beloved noise/industrial community. Chances are good if you release a noise book, I will buy it. I am not alone. However, when it comes to getting the work done, if not us, who?

FreakAnimalFinland

I think one of the book structures that would be almost ideal for noise tales and folklore, would be the "oral history of.." style. Some may know books like PLEASE KILL ME, history of old punk. As opposed to needing to write history, one just collects bits and pieces of recollections of people who were there, and then assembles them together into order that makes sense. Thematic, chronology, geographical, whatever. This would work for almost any topic. Be it documenting noise collages, special packages, live noise, etc.

When it is UG people, possibly from various countries, personal use of slightly broken language and all that would not be obstacle. I am not saying noise writing should not aim for a bit higher standard than audio transcribed as is or social media language thrown on printed pages... Still approaching books from "oral history of noise" perspective could work out perfectly, being more doable effort. I would estimate than getting something done efficiently is the approach that works.

I know bunch of books are in the works.

impulse manslaughter

I reed the Ron RRR book yesterday. What a fun little book. Also learned some things which is always nice. Interviews in the back are okay bit didn't add anything. Today i pulled out some Due Process and Emil records to stay in the mood. Recommended.

DBL

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 13, 2024, 10:20:15 AMNoise gear - very much like the Vital Organ magazine is. It could have been book about noise gear, but magazine about noise gear and making of noise surely good.
The person who suggested the zine's concept to me actually hoped that it would be a book with photos, but I quite soon decided to make it a zine instead for the simple reason that I wanted to to be something I can actually get done, ha! There is a lot to talk about when it comes to gear and methods of noise making, so a book on the subject would certainly be good. Or at least I feel the two zines barely scratched the surface of all things interesting in noise making.