DAVID GILDEN

Started by ANDROPHILIA, December 29, 2015, 07:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: pureterror on June 12, 2020, 07:42:48 PM
A CD reissue of Temporary Sedation - originally released on cassette by Lasse Marhaug's TWR Tapes in 1996 - is currently at the pressing plant and will be released on Troniks this summer.

I missed this cd. Didn't expect this to sell out so fast. Will this be repressed or does anybody know where to get a copy? Thanks!

pureterror

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on September 13, 2020, 08:48:44 PM
Quote from: pureterror on June 12, 2020, 07:42:48 PM
A CD reissue of Temporary Sedation - originally released on cassette by Lasse Marhaug's TWR Tapes in 1996 - is currently at the pressing plant and will be released on Troniks this summer.

I missed this cd. Didn't expect this to sell out so fast. Will this be repressed or does anybody know where to get a copy? Thanks!

No current plans for a repress, though it's now available digitally through Lasse Marhaug's Pica Disk Bandcamp: https://picadisk.bandcamp.com/album/temporary-sedation

I think all the distros that got copies are sold out but a few copies have popped up on Discogs, including a used copy up there right now.

impulse manslaughter

Thanks, bought the one from Discogs.. Indeed, the only copy I could find online.

PuddysJacket

Can someone in possession of this guy's shit rip it to soulseek? Would appreciate the heck out of ya

SIEGSIEGSIEG

Manhog_84

Any comments about the massive Texas Pillbox 18CD Boxset from those who already got it?

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Manhog_84 on August 07, 2024, 10:30:24 AMAny comments about the massive Texas Pillbox 18CD Boxset from those who already got it?

The packaging/box is high quality and put together very nicely, but have not yet had a chance to completely dive into yet.

snakeradical

Quote from: Cranial Blast on August 09, 2024, 04:47:49 PM
Quote from: Manhog_84 on August 07, 2024, 10:30:24 AMAny comments about the massive Texas Pillbox 18CD Boxset from those who already got it?

The packaging/box is high quality and put together very nicely, but have not yet had a chance to completely dive into yet.

Package is very good /true
But no info  besides tracklist

Fistfuck Masonanie

I'm only about 8 or so discs in at this point out of 18. It's an overwhelming amount of noise, but it's packaged together so well. The range of sound and style varies across all of the material, but it's mostly different approaches to harsh noise. It covers everything from his earliest solo material, bands, and collaborations to later-era efforts.

I actually started with the very last disc which collects compilation tracks from his own solo material, Slave Labor, The Siamese Model, Alfa Jerk, and Depress/Regress. I thought this would actually be a good starting point to become familiar with each project.

I'm very early into the material and have a long way to go, but my current highlights are Total Headrush, the Self-Titled Private Tape on disk III, and the Depress/Regress '95 rehearsal tape.

I just threw on the Lingula 4 material from disc VII. Very industrial and mechanical loop-focused sounds ala Vivenza which I imagine the cover art of the original release is an homage to. It later develops into great heavy, sparse, and atmospheric metalwork. Might be one of my favorites so far actually.

The Lingula 4 "Unused Mix" on disc VIII reminds me of very early Macronympha. Like Insane Torture Device. It really opens up about half way through or so and gets really really good.

I'm jumping around a little and not listening to everything exactly in order, but the Sawgasm material is up next which is my most anticipated material from the whole box and from what I've read/overhead is holy grail material.

Generally, I think most people are still working their way through it and there is so much material to absorb that it will be a while before there are any in-depth reviews. I'm sure there are some masochistic folks who have somehow listened to it all but maybe it has left them comatose.

Manhog_84

Quote from: snakeradical on August 09, 2024, 04:53:30 PM
Quote from: Cranial Blast on August 09, 2024, 04:47:49 PM

Package is very good /true
But no info  besides tracklist

This is a bummer, as Gilden is such an enigmatic figure, some sort of booklet would have been a needed addition. How the box was put together, is discussed in this Noisextra episode: https://www.noisextra.com/2023/04/19/dave-gilden-discussion-with-jim-haras/

Visually it's a beautiful product. The images are quite unusual in context of noise. I like them, there's an obscure and sinister feeling to them.

If talking about the content itself, I'm now through the first seven discs and already think this is one of the best noise boxes. Very varied styles and Lingula tracks go full industrial with clatters and banging metal. Instead of just straight, rugged noise, the second disc Hash Brown tracks are surprisingly rhythmic. They have the same dirty sound and dopefiended samples. I also loved Sawgasm side B with lunatic screams buried in noise.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Listening to Disc X now - Mikadoroid Alternate Source.

Mikadoroid was a collaboration project between David and Akihiro Shimizu of Thirdorgan. Never been fortunate enough to hear the original Mikadoroid tape, however, this has me VERY curious. Really wild sounds on this one. A lot of metal junk clashing, but a lot of oscillations, stereo panning, and flangers. At times feels psychedelic and other times gets very harsh. Does not sound like C.C.C.C. or anything like that, it's very much its own thing. Very out there and weird in the best way. A definite highlight among the first 10 discs even though there are quite a few great releases up to this point already.

[Edit]: Found the original uploaded to YouTube if anyone is interested in checking it out. Again, the version in this box is an alternative version or alternative source material. It's not super clear on the specifics since there aren't any liner notes:

Side A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR8zM2iREPI
Side B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPVgESfzuXk

cr

Got the CD box for birthday, needless to say, one of the best presents ever!
But as was already mentioned above - no information about Mr. Gilden himself or about the records in that box.
So is there any information, reviews, interviews or whatever available in old zines or online?
Somebody who knew him in person?
If not, that's ok as well, of course. Not everything has to be revealed. Not wanting to ruminate the old stories.

But also...thank you so much Mr.Fusty Cunt, for making this happen! One of the greatest releases in the past 10 years, at least for me.

impulse manslaughter

I might ne wrong but don't think there's a lot of background information available on his life/work. Richard Ramirez send me some info when I did the Narcotic release a few years ago, but I remember there was very little to work with.

Fistfuck Masonanie

I don't know if I'm adding a lot here, so I'm sorry ahead of time. Any information that Richard shared that is easily acceptable is on the following podcasts. I haven't listened to these in a while but I know he addresses his relationship with Gilden on one or both of the Harsh Truth and Noisextra discussions briefly but I don't remember exactly how far in.

Honestly, the most detail revealed was probably in the description of the box set on the Fusty Cunt site:

"I met David Gilden in late 1991 or early 1992 at a local experimental music show. He stood next to me and began a conversation about experimental music and noise. He figured it was a Throbbing Gristle style band.

I gave him my home number and he gave me his. We began talking on the phone soon after. He played work that he had been working on and I did the same. He asked if I was in "metal" and I said "no". Most of the time when I'd call him his Mom would answer and usually David was in his room recording. He recorded a lot and also did variations on a single recording session. He'd rework some or did layering to some of his work.

I was getting together a noisefest in Houston and asked him to perform at it in 1992. After seeing a solo performance of his, I felt our style in noise was similar and soon I had asked him to join Black Leather Jesus. He was very opinionated on others' work and at times was not easy to get along with. As many know, he had substance abuse issues which also caused some arguments within BLJ especially with other members.

Many times at a BLJ show, Gilden was so immersed in the performance, he would keep going when the rest of the band were done.

During our recordings session as Slave Labor or Lingula, David would like to plan out a recording whereas I'd like to just press record and go. This led to disagreements with what we wanted to do with the projects. David could be a perfectionist at times and his "creative fuel" would get in the way of finishing work.

Some Slave Labor recordings would include Macronympha as well. David and I briefly did a project called The Siamese Model and Noise!Noise!Noise!

His addiction got in the way. Our relationship became very volatile at this point. Not long after he entered rehab again in 1997, we went our separate ways and never spoke again.

Gilden was an amazing noise artist and sadly was overlooked during his active years. It's great to see people appreciate his work today. I do miss the good times we had recording and performing together."

-Richard Ramirez

BatteredStatesofEuphoria

Question for those who have managed to listen to the whole box, or at least the majority of it, from someone considering whether its worth picking up. Is the level of quality pretty consistently high throughout? Thinking of the Skin Crime box as a point of reference...which is a pretty high bar, certainly (maybe one disk out of the 20 didn't grab me, and even that one had a few good tracks), but certainly don't want something with 30% amazing material/70% filler.