Zoviet France

Started by post-morten, January 12, 2021, 05:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

post-morten

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 17, 2023, 09:37:34 PMhave they ever discussed their tribal/Native artwork aesthetic?  I can't remember if it was brought up in the one podcast interview previously cited in this thread.

I always assumed the artwork's tribal influences came with Robin Storey and his art school background. Many of the early record covers were made at the Charlotte Press cooperative where Storey worked and taught. After he departed ZF in 1992 the graphic design became more generic, while Rapoon carried on in a similar style.

But then again, from the ND interview in 1991 around the time for the ZF tour of the US of A:

ND - Who does the artwork for the covers?

Ben Ponton - We pool ideas as we do with music. Whatever comes out can be the work of one, two, or three people, not everybody has to be involved in everything all the time. We don't worry so much about whose stuff it is at the end of the day.

Judging by this reply the early artworks seem to have been more of a collaborative effort.

Zeno Marx

Thanks!  I completely forgot about that ND issue, and I own it.  Not a very satisfying answer, is it?  That's how I felt as I was listening to that long, 2-part interview.  They aren't the most verbally enticing group of folk.  The type of people you'd have to know to know.  I think I can relate, but I remain wanting.

Can't imagine how many albums could come out of all those archived recordings.  They drop a couple unreleased "albums" in those Chasse box sets, and we ZF fans are frothing at the mouth.  They could be endless.  I hope someone involved is transferring the archives before they're lost...assuming they haven't already been tossed.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

post-morten

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 30, 2023, 08:24:36 PMCan't imagine how many albums could come out of all those archived recordings.  They drop a couple unreleased "albums" in those Chasse box sets, and we ZF fans are frothing at the mouth.  They could be endless.  I hope someone involved is transferring the archives before they're lost...assuming they haven't already been tossed.

ZF have mentioned in interviews, and also in my own conversations with them, that they have a habit of recording everything, whether it is private sessions or live public performances. Something like 5% of their archives have been released. Then it follows that, potentially, they could open the floodgates for a deluge of releases and compete with the likes of Merzbow or Muslimgauze. Now I doubt this will ever happen. They have enough integrity for wanting to dilute the ZF brand. Also I believe such a move would involve sorting out rights with past members, some of whom are barely on speaking terms. I know this issue was a bit of a showstopper before the Chasse sets came to fruition. I'm certain we can look forward to more albums at a slow but steady pace, as up until now.