Cleaning studio / ready to go / always from the scratch

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 21, 2023, 04:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Was listening the latest episode of Noisextra, which is no interview, no album track-by-track observations, but basically listening Connelly couple clean up their studio. I know it may sound weird. Like why listen audio of someone cleaning up studio/reh place? Well, thing is they do go through wide variety of observations, advices, some anecdotes and so on... while being organizing things ready to record for busy noise summer 2023!
https://www.noisextra.com/2023/06/21/studio-reorganization/

One thing they do talk there with Greh, is what is the routine in the studio. I had vague recollection there could be such topic on SI, but couldn't find it. There was 7 year old topic on gear section about recording, but that wasn't really it.

Thing what is being talked, is the degree of how ready to go you like your noise set up be in the studio / rehearsal place? Greh has a lot of stuff connected, enough stuff is accessible right away. Just turn on the power, and big part of the gear is set up ready to go.

Connelly household seems somewhat different at beginning of clean-up. Just piles of stuff, piles of stuff in wrong places. Finding pieces of gear one didn't remember to have. Old gear one never uses and needs to get rid of. Potentially broken cables in mess of cables. Power sources one doesn't know what they are meant for. And so on.

This is quite curious question for me. I know both types of approaches. I know the guys who have everything clean and neat, in place that really does look like a proper recording studio. Just turn power on, and hit the rec and you are good to go.  Then I know the guys who for reason or another, be it lack of space, lack of organization, lack of something.... or perhaps simply for benefit of uncontrolled chaos, tend to just start over each time. Pull out couple devices from box of "stuff", find couple of cables, see if batteries are dead or alive, see if one-spot can be found... and get by.

I personally have absolutely tried to be among those who are organized. I do actually have rehearsal studio, with sound system(s), with several meters of actual proper tables build exactly for the purpose of not needing to be kneeling on the floor, or playing gear in too low table surface. Custom build thing, that I can stand straight, and plenty of room to set everything. Due influence of one of the organized noise makers, even invested to rack format patch bay. Those who do not know what it does, can probably talk about it in gear section. What it does for me, is device that underlines that I ain't among the really organized sound guys. The device is still unopened in its original box, since haven't really got into mood of using it.

Changing the routine of having to at least partially re-build, re-connect things each time, seems fairly impossible now after 30 years of noise making. Also, I have my doubts would it be benefit for material? Sure it would save time, and instead of all the time consuming and plug & cable consuming "rewiring" your gear you could be indeed already playing.... but playing what? The stuff you were playing... last time?

Personally, it seems that there is benefit from having reasonably clean studio, that you will just about find what you need. Enough non-broken stuff that you won't be held back by missing cables, missing power supplies and such. But beyond that, it seems to be part of the creative process to make the decision what will be used this time. What items are not even connected, not on the table in first place. Reduced options, plus kind of starting from scratch where first is kind of always repeating step, of re-building the set up. Not just casually starting where you left off last time.

I know that all what was just being said, is less of conscious decision to do so. More like trying to reason why you behave as you do. Nevertheless, listening the Noisextra makes me think best luck for Connelly. I didn't see the extra Patreon segment of before and after cleaning studio, but maybe in couple months, they'd need to return to subject of "how clean it is at the moment?"   The fight against the chaotic condition of brutal noise making, usually turns out to be quite futile. 
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

HateSermon

It's a total man cave! A cold concrete basement. To the left is my weight bench and to the right is the xerox machine with piles of magazines, etc for collage and other art. My gear is always setup, at least the basics (mixer, amp, power sources ready to go). Pedals and tape loops not so much. It kind of depends on what I'm feeling that day and go from there. Overall it's a mess. Don't normally let people down there unless they're also noise people and can relate haha. The garage is nearby and I often go in there if I need more space for junk metal recording.

Leewar

As soon as ive used a piece of equipment (synth/drum machine/amp etc etc) ive gotten into the habit of unplugging it from whatever FX pedals its been put through, putting EQ controls back to zero and putting it away, same with whatever FX pedals have been used. Mainly due to consciously trying to not repeat myself.

The basic recording set up, mixer, 2- 4 tracks and computer stays ready.

Other than that, the recording area (a cellar) is as uncluttered as possible, i want to focus on the task and not be falling over equipment everywhere, or looking for a pedal or cable thats lost in the junk.

moozz

I used to have a messy desk with pedals on top of each other in two layers as I did not really have space for everything. The pedals that were neatly stored were in drawers and I hated that storage solution. Always going through several drawers trying to find the pedal I had in mind. And then trying to make space on the desk for that pedal. I recently found "picture shelves" from Ikea and that was exactly what I needed. I now have most of my pedals on the wall above my desk. I can easily see what is there and even get inspired by something that I was not even thinking about. That is something that rarely happened when everything was either in drawers or in pedal piles. Cables are neatly in a drawer, power supplies in another drawer, 4-tracker on the table. I also rotate the pedals on the shelves so that the ones that are new to me or that I feel like I need to learn more thoroughly are placed on the lowest levels so that it requires zero effort to add them to my signal chain. I like to change my setup between recording sessions (and often during recording sessions) so this approach works great for me. Always a clean table (I might leave some of the most used pedals like Death Metal or a Boss Overdrive there) but setting up can be done in 5-10 minutes.

a_way

Great episode idea, really enjoyed it and felt less bad about my own mess. Not speaking from a musician's perspective but I run a diy venue. My guess is that initially most people would like to have a plug and play set up which is easier said than done. Judging from myself, the chaos is a great environment to learn, grow, experiment. Certain things will fall into place while others constantly change. The particular working method is reflective of one's being and personal developement, can't be a pro from the start and it's about the journey after all, right? It's pretty similar how tidy you keep your house/room or even your PC. In the latter scenario you can just dump desktop clutter into a new folder and easily find it with the search bar - real life works differently. Chaos has its place, it's a powerful force, double-edged sword that teaches a lot if you have the necessary respect to deal with it. Also important to move on when you've learnt a lesson. My two cents.

Confuzzled

I found this episode particularly entertaining to the point where I want to cut up the audio regarding Tara's "box" and all of the things that fit inside her box and create a limited compilation where artists have to use those sound bites in each track submission. It also made me look into cable maintenance, and I believe it was Greh who discussed keeping his cables in zip lock bags. I discussed this with a friend who also did the same, and I have to admit that it's nice to not have the insane collection of cables hanging off the wall. I also watched a video on how to wrap long cables. Things you learn after 30 years of doing things wrong.

kiiski

Right now I don't have a studio space. We're looking to buy a house in the near future and I'm excited because then I'll be able to design and build a proper room for my needs. I used to have a professional studio space with control room, recording rooms and lot's of storage in my old home town, but for my current needs as a theatre sound designer and an experimental sound artist one room will suffice. It'll resemble a traditional control room with a mad professor / Gyro Gearloose / Lee "Scratch" Perry vibe.

What was the question again? I'll describe how I had my last temporary studio space set up.

I'm a pretty organized guy. All cables and utilities are stored in different cardboard boxes (the ones made for shoes are my favourite), power outlets are easily available and connecting to amplifiers, tape recorders and computer can be done quickly. This is really important for me, because this way the purely technical hassle will be minimal and it doesn't distract my workflow. Organizing everything neatly and the constant improving of the infrastructure in studio takes time, but it pays off as the creative workflow becomes so much better.

I like to have some free table space where I can build a setup and leave it there for awhile. Some of my gear have their designated places in the studio but I don't want the studio to be too rigid. It narrows down the experimental workflow if everything is too though out. Small synths, pedals etc. can easily be connected when needed. It forces me to think what I'm actually trying to do. The ready to go / always from the scratch -balance is delicate and causes constant struggle, heh.

The studio is used for my own experimental sound sessions, but about half of the time I do other stuff: sound design for theatre (which can also be experimental but not always), mastering jobs for other artists and so on. I need to have my main work desk relatively clean and distraction-free.

Stipsi

I have my basement with all my equipment.
Every single session it's from scratch.
I change even the mixer and tape deck.
I don't want that every release sounds similar.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.