Noise at non-noise gigs/fests

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 02, 2023, 02:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

We got some of that stuff in Finland, but not utterly frequently. I don't remember if there was discussion about it before, but I am curious about how one views situation as performer and as audience. Seeing noise or some sort of experimental noisy stuff side-by-side somewhat "regular music"?

I fully understand the idea of exposing people into such stuff. Both from angle of "provocation" with unwanted fierce sound, and simply displaying what kind of ear-candy you got happening outside the standard music. There is lots of people who really can and do listen to both. In Finland several fests have had some of this. Indie music scene fest with bunch of weird noise as addition. Most likely plenty of lovers of noise there and even more those who check it as curiosity.

Also power electronics/noise crossing over at Black Metal gigs was fairly big at some point, but a bit less now. Personally, while appreciating the exposure and all that, in the end, noise remains also difficult stuff, and there was growing feeling that noise would act like the "freak show" somewhere between bands people want to see. hah.. Not sure was it, but impression that bands would got treated way different, and we all know the retard sound men yelling "turn down that feedback" -type of things while trying to fade experimental sound as quiet as possible while the generic music band just blasted hell out of the venue.

Then again, I know there are noise artists who prefer to play for non-noise audience, or at least at non-noise gigs. Reasons can be many.

Feelings and experiences, preferences on this? As an artist or as audience?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Balor/SS1535

I saw Panzerfaust play live last week, and their vocalist had a podium full of pedals to do some noise/ambient layers to their music. It was interesting, but somewhat drowned out the guitars---overall it was loud and fun.

I think this is also big now in the Sri Lankan scene?

BlackCavendish

I have mixed feelings about it.

I saw Trepaneringsritualen (not noise but still...) opening for Destroyer 666, Pharmakon opening for Swans, Tim Hekcer opening for Isis/Jesu 20 years ago or similar, Zyklon SS at the Apocalyptic Rites.

In this latter case the outcome was really nice. Different kind of "extreme music" but the attitude was the same. It was a nice change of atmoshpere that kept the attention high.
Same was for Trepanen, that obviously fits well in a black metal context considering his aesthetic. The audience was at least intrigued by the performance.

In othe cases (like Pharmakon or Tim Hecker, to stick to the above mentioned cases) the result was awkward. Most of the audience was definitely not that interested, the performance was - as expected - just some sort of warmup that you have to go through to get the real deal. So ok, good for short term visibility, but all you got is people talking about how strange was the opening act. So what's the point?

In the end I think that it depends on the public. If there's a dedicated audience (this happens mostly in underground festivals) can be a nice touch, if the audience is too wide and musically eterogeneous the "freak show effect" is a concrete risk.

MT

I remember Vanhala opening for Jex Thoth. Can't remember audience reactions though. But for me, liking the both acts, it was a match made in heaven! But definately an interesting combination.

HateSermon

I haven't been to a large venue mixed show in a while so can't speak to that but I will say the basement gigs here are almost always mixed lineup. I'm actually playing one in a couple of weeks and its opening for a couple of punk bands. Generally the shows are well received by everyone. Of course this is a smaller city with a smaller scene so everyone kind of knows each other and what to expect when attending shows and seeing certain projects.
For me, seeing noise openers for black metal or hardcore bands was a big inspiration to get into this genre.

Commander15

Quote from: MT on August 02, 2023, 07:22:29 PMI remember Vanhala opening for Jex Thoth. Can't remember audience reactions though. But for me, liking the both acts, it was a match made in heaven! But definately an interesting combination.

I remember this show! Vanhala really wiped the floor with Jex Thoth that night. Jex Thoth was pretty corny to be honest.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: HateSermon on August 02, 2023, 07:27:55 PMI haven't been to a large venue mixed show in a while so can't speak to that but I will say the basement gigs here are almost always mixed lineup. I'm actually playing one in a couple of weeks and its opening for a couple of punk bands. Generally the shows are well received by everyone. Of course this is a smaller city with a smaller scene so everyone kind of knows each other and what to expect when attending shows and seeing certain projects.
For me, seeing noise openers for black metal or hardcore bands was a big inspiration to get into this genre.

I would guess in basement gig, it can work out better. Small loud space and intimacy.

In bigger music club type of thing or festival, often noise feels as it won't have the physicality what it should, or big stage may be odd place for one guy to play. Contrast for multiple person band, with multiple amps and drums vs. one guy with electronics with soundguy who is too afraid to blast it may appear not what it should be.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

TVS

Power electronics acts and black metal bands mixed can work in a certain situation. I remember seeing Grunt in 2011 on a smaller stage than the BM bands, and it fit in very well with the general atmosphere. Nowadays I am not so sure, as the metal crowd seems to be a bit less open to experimentation. I wasn't at the infamous Ride for Revenge/Bizarre Uproar gig at Steelchaos, maybe that went more into the "freak show" category in the end?

When noise acts are mixed with other bands they usually tend to be indie or punk, and personally I would rather see them separately. I dislike the idea of a funny interlude between the more conventional bands.

Atrophist

I recall seeing Grunt and BU at Nosturi with RfR, there were other metal bands too, I think. If there were they left no real impression. BU was especially fun, with the video for "Kusi paska veri" and half the contents of a junkyard on stage. Needless to say a show like that in a big mainstream venue would no longer be possible.

The New Boyfriends will be at the Flow festival, which is like 10 min away from me by metro. Completely out of my budget unfortunately. Good opportunity for them, for sure, and will probably open lots of doors for them in the future. But I must admit that the idea of wealthy hipsters "curating" some noise, too, for their festival makes me a little uncomfortable.

HateSermon

Quote from: Atrophist on August 03, 2023, 06:16:18 PMBut I must admit that the idea of wealthy hipsters "curating" some noise, too, for their festival makes me a little uncomfortable.

Oof, yeah same here. "Curating" makes me want to punch a wall. Fuck off.

Commander15

Quote from: HateSermon on August 03, 2023, 07:41:54 PM
Quote from: Atrophist on August 03, 2023, 06:16:18 PMBut I must admit that the idea of wealthy hipsters "curating" some noise, too, for their festival makes me a little uncomfortable.

Oof, yeah same here. "Curating" makes me want to punch a wall. Fuck off.

Both seconded, except the curation part.