Kristian Olsson

Started by Manhog_84, September 09, 2023, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manhog_84

There exists few ancient topics on Survival Unit, but here's a new one dedicated for Olsson's activities.

Lately I've been listening a lot Dödens Ö/Die Totenisel CD. One long dark ambient track with author Bo Cavefor's spoken word parts at the beginning and end. Other parts of the album has kind of familiar, rugged post-mortem sound that is hard to get enough. This being my new favorite, I think Olsson is at his best when the material is veering towards dark ambient. Like splits with Projekt Hat, Alfarmania's Skräcken, Genfärd tape, the track on Hour of the Wolf etc. It's hard to come this kind of morbid atmosphere. Clew of Theseus's (might be worthy of it's own topic) excellent Death Urge has similar feeling, but other than that it's kinda rare. Regarding Döden's Ö, it's also interesting that Martin Bladh released The Island of Death CD almost at the same time. I haven't heard that album yet, but seems they are both based on Cavefor's book. I didn't find much information about it.

Olsson used to run Bolvärk label. Irkallian Oracle was the only band I'm familiar with and remember liking it. Any comment on these releases?

I remember there was some talk years ago, about his collage works being published as art book by Autarkeia(?). As he's a master of collage art, a proper art book would be needed. Any rumors this might actually happen?

Haare

I very much doubt that book to ever come out, it was announced what, 10-15 years ago? I'm not sure if Autarkeia even exists anymore?Olsson's new book "Giftnalen" should be out soon and it's fully illustrated by him. I would love to see a book of his collages too though.

Manhog_84

Quote from: Haare on September 09, 2023, 09:07:15 PMOlsson's new book "Giftnalen" should be out soon and it's fully illustrated by him.

Ah yes, this was talked about in Noiseextra. Looking forward to it.

In the old thread he mentions one exhibition, that apparently materialized as a printed catalogue as well: "There was an exhibition of artworks and video installations I did over 10 year period in Sundsvall during November / december. It had SÄPO surveillance and I only got even more pariah status in my hometown. However an exhibition catalogue (32 pages A5) is being printed now. Some mailorders like Timeless will carry it" https://special-interests.net/forum/index.php?msg=604

post-morten

Quote from: Manhog_84 on September 10, 2023, 10:28:29 AM
Quote from: Haare on September 09, 2023, 09:07:15 PMOlsson's new book "Giftnalen" should be out soon and it's fully illustrated by him.

Ah yes, this was talked about in Noiseextra. Looking forward to it.

They threw a party for the launch of Giftnålen at a Stockholm book store last month. I went there today to pick up a copy, but alas it hasn't materialized yet. The shopkeeper didn't know when to expect it. I guess only Kristian knows.

In any case I'm a big fan of his output. I have followed the Heid - Survival Unit - Alfarmania trajectory pretty closely and never been really disappointed. The Steinklang LP being the notable exception. I have yet to hear the material recorded and released in his own name, but looking forward to now that I'm sort of back in the loop again.

Theodore

Quote from: Manhog_84 on September 09, 2023, 11:14:23 AMOlsson used to run Bolvärk label. Irkallian Oracle was the only band I'm familiar with and remember liking it. Any comment on these releases?

I have only two, Venator and Egregori. Venator is Olsson -vocals, electronics- and members of another metal band which i dont remember. I actually dont remember even where i read this info. Musically i remember it to be doom-ish, OK, but not a must have. - Egregori, i find it excellent ! Black metal, recordings from the 90s, band members included Proiekt Hat, Wintheer etc. - But i dont listen to metal so better to check it yourself. Kristian has uploaded it along with the info.

"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

cr

Haven't listened to it in ages, but I really liked the Poena - Likboden tape, which was recorded in an old morgue of a mental hospital. Kristian Olsson and Christian Godin.

Other than that I'm a big fan of all things from Mr. Olsson, be it SU, Alfarmania, or the solo works.

I can't remember that good, but I think the book on Autarkeia was close to being released back then, but I have no idea and information, why it hasn't been done.
Autarkeia still seems to be active though, but not as much as years ago, when for example all those Death Squad CDs were released.

Haare

Quote from: cr on September 14, 2023, 02:00:03 PMrecorded in an old morgue of a mental hospital.
Same goes for quite a few Olsson releases if memory serves.

Manhog_84

Kommando RJF - Sweet Slow Suicide was good. "Dedicated to all murdered by psychiatry". Synths and some rhytmic loops, morbid atmospheres and to me it sounded a lot like Survival Unit. Minimal and stylish artwork. Tommy Carlson mentions "Extended versions of the LP tracks in their original mixes together with three bonus tracks. Sounds considerably different than the LP." Haven't heard the LP version so not sure which one is "better". Nothing really wrong here.

The original RJF album from 1983 made apparently big impact and there's quite a few mentions about this comeback album on SI forum. I listened Greater Success In Apprehension & Convictions from Youtube, but most of the tracks are lo-fi synthpop that's not for my taste. Quite awful to be honest. First track was the only one I liked.

Lazrs3

I really like Sweet Slow Suicide a lot as a modern PE album, I think the sound and back story is immense, my interest being aroused by the feature in Special Interests. I like the first album a lot too as it is dirty sounding and raw.

Manhog_84

Quote from: Lazrs3 on November 04, 2023, 02:30:21 PM...my interest being aroused by the feature in Special Interests.

You mean As Loud As Possible? There was an article about RJF. I read it again and I can see the importance better now, as it was labeled being the first Swedish power electronics album. Even Blood Ov Thee Christ didn't exist at the time. Some tracks on Sweet Slow Suicide were supposed to be on the second album, but it never realised as the master tape was lost. In this context it's easy to see Olsson & Carlsson teaming up with the original member to finish off what was once started. I'd say the end result was probably better this way, making the new album stand stronger.

Lazrs3

Quote from: Manhog_84 on November 04, 2023, 04:37:41 PM
Quote from: Lazrs3 on November 04, 2023, 02:30:21 PM...my interest being aroused by the feature in Special Interests.

You mean As Loud As Possible? There was an article about RJF. I read it again and I can see the importance better now, as it was labeled being the first Swedish power electronics album. Even Blood Ov Thee Christ didn't exist at the time. Some tracks on Sweet Slow Suicide were supposed to be on the second album, but it never realised as the master tape was lost. In this context it's easy to see Olsson & Carlsson teaming up with the original member to finish off what was once started. I'd say the end result was probably better this way, making the new album stand stronger.

Ooops yeah As Loud As Possible. I got some Blood Ov Thee Christ on strong reccomendation from a Facebook friend Niko and really dug it. I truly love the second RJF album.

Manhog_84

I didn't see any advertisements on this forum, but Alfarmania/Projekt Hat will be performing at DOMINION OF FLESH – 10 YEARS OF CLOISTER RECORDINGS next autumn, and Survival Unit at the warm-up event. https://klubbdod.se/event/dominion-of-flesh-10-years-of-cloister-recordings/

This is a tough choice as it overlaps Apocalyptic Rites X (Clandestine Blaze, Grand Belial's Key, Iron Clad etc.)

FreakAnimalFinland

yep... awful timing for myself, as no chance to go to Sweden at that time.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

cr

Yeah, hard decision. But all those Northern European based fuckers seem to always get the goods and have a hard choice then, haha.
I only wish for a proper documentation of both festivals, so that I can at least virtually take part somehow.
Whoever will do such a thing...eternal cheers to you!

Same goes for Harsh Ways Syndicate event in Turku on 27.04.2024. I would give some of my necrotic innards in exchange to being able to attend! But right now, it's just not possible for me. So documentation and making it somehow accessible to other interested fuckheads is so very welcome!
Cheers to whoever will do it!

Theodore

New Alfarmania tape, or 'new' if you prefer since material was recorded some years ago. https://advaitarecords.bandcamp.com/album/ur-ens-inre-exil . Thankfully large enough edition, so no fan stays complaining. Bring this to EU, someone, please.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"