Canon of Power Electronics

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 08, 2009, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaoskultti

Quote from: PTM Jim on September 07, 2023, 09:17:42 PMLooking at the first page again and noticed it stopping at 2008. I feel that 12 years is enough time to put something from 2011.
PRURIENT - BERMUDA DRAIN

Hm, interesting, specially since it is probably the Prurient release I less like. But the, wouldn't FNF be a more suitable option for that position, as it seems to have amplified the range of experimentation and reached a wider audience than the previous effort? Correct if I'm wrong on this, but anyway. I agree on The History of Aids being outlined on the Canon, quite an enormous album.
ZOB ZYGGLAN - Brazilian Power Electronics - https://zobzygglan.bandcamp.com/album/zob-zygglan

PTM Jim

Quote from: Kaaoskultti on November 15, 2023, 06:27:17 AM
Quote from: PTM Jim on September 07, 2023, 09:17:42 PMLooking at the first page again and noticed it stopping at 2008. I feel that 12 years is enough time to put something from 2011.
PRURIENT - BERMUDA DRAIN

Hm, interesting, specially since it is probably the Prurient release I less like. But the, wouldn't FNF be a more suitable option for that position, as it seems to have amplified the range of experimentation and reached a wider audience than the previous effort? Correct if I'm wrong on this, but anyway. I agree on The History of Aids being outlined on the Canon, quite an enormous album.
Nah, FNF came out 4 years later and when BD came out it was an instant black and white between love and hate. Was probably the biggest thing in noise since Wolf Eyes signing to Sub Pop also.

FreakAnimalFinland

I acknowledge the significance of Bermuda Drain, but at the same time I wonder if it really qualifies as power electronics album or even noise. Knowing that artists often considers noise more as conceptual thing, not necessary to be harsh noise sound all the way. He is of course entitled for such approach, and album has certainly its benefits but most of it is not noise by any means. One could perhaps argue album is something that within several music tracks, there are power electronics type songs inbetween that may have exposed totally new crowd to this sound? To me it sounds almost like situation would one consider SPK "metal dance" as remarkable breakthrough for power electronics? Musically Bermuda Drain has several tracks that have way more Metal Dance approach - with exception of screamo vocals. I have never heard anyone claim that single or following album would have taken things to next level, but becoming something else?

As result, I suppose artist became bigger and bigger, and could perform in bigger venues and fests - and I believe he didn't hold back on how brutal sets could be? That would be interesting element.

There is the element of regional importance. Wolf Eyes and such, as big they were, I remember talking with some european industrial-noise people and they being "wolf... who?". Big for noise. Big for indie rock. Big for indie media. All those valid points for sure, but in canon of power electronics, I would certainly think Pleasure Ground (and history of aids) probably would stand as something that made its mark also within genre itself. I would say after Pleasure Ground came out, it had some genre changing impact. Design, sound, etc. Next PE things you'd hear coming following it, you could hear artists who "sound like Prurient" (and often referring this album), look like his asthetics, and topics they deal with appear like they certainly would be more "Hospital" than "Come org".
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Warfare Noise

Bermuda Drain is a great LP and not at all Power Electronics. History of Aids and Pleasure Ground are the right picks imo. Impactful and innovative records that color inside the lines enough for the PE title.

Bastard Noise toured extensively with Hardcore bands and played to audiences wanting Power Violence 30 years ago. There has not been a new PV band for 25 years, the terms corrupted.